gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 socket 939 and heat sinks

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

Most of the heatsinks have clips to attach to the socket, but I don't
see any place on the socket used on the GA-K8NF-9 for these clips.

I'm going to return the heatsink I got and get a gigabyte heatsink, but
I'd really prefer a Thermaltake if I could get one that fits the mobo.
[It is a somewhat long story regarding the Thermaltake, but basically
the package I got said A1838 on the outside, but had A1889 on the
inside. The clips are supposed to be a little different on the A1838,
but I still don't see compatible tabs on the CPU socket.]

If you look at the photo of the mobo, there is a black plastic frame
around the CPU socket. I assume this is to hold certain heatsinks, but
which ones?

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/FileList/ProductImage/photo_k8nxp-9_big.jpg

<miso@sushi.com> wrote in message
> Most of the heatsinks have clips to attach to the socket, but I don't
> see any place on the socket used on the GA-K8NF-9 for these clips.
>
> I'm going to return the heatsink I got and get a gigabyte heatsink, but
> I'd really prefer a Thermaltake if I could get one that fits the mobo.
> [It is a somewhat long story regarding the Thermaltake, but basically
> the package I got said A1838 on the outside, but had A1889 on the
> inside. The clips are supposed to be a little different on the A1838,
> but I still don't see compatible tabs on the CPU socket.]
>
> If you look at the photo of the mobo, there is a black plastic frame
> around the CPU socket. I assume this is to hold certain heatsinks, but
> which ones?

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/FileList/ProductImage/photo_k8nxp-9_big.jpg

The A1889 is for socket A, AthlonXP, you do need the A1838.
Mike.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

Unfortunately the store where I bought it was out of the right fan. I
got a Gigabyte fan meant for K8 and it fit the plastic mounting tabs on
the ring that goes around the CPU area. The instructions on the fan
were surprising poor, but it was obvious how to get it to clip on.