newbie: drive-letter mixed up

dear gigabyte gurus
i have a new ga-8ipe1000 board with a sata drive (matrox 80gb) attached to
it. during xp (sp2) setup i installed the intel-sata drivers (865) with the
f6-key and the floppy to let xp recognize the drive. after finishing the xp
installation i realised, that xp assigned the driveletter i: to the start-
und systemdrive. internal cardreader, dvd, cdrom have the drive c: d: e:
etc...

what did i wrong. i want my start- und systempartitin to be assigened the
letter c. do i have to change my bios setting for the sata drive ?

thanx for a hint

tim

"news.net.lu.ch" <tim.moor@nospam.com> wrote:

>dear gigabyte gurus
>i have a new ga-8ipe1000 board with a sata drive (matrox 80gb) attached to
>it. during xp (sp2) setup i installed the intel-sata drivers (865) with the
>f6-key and the floppy to let xp recognize the drive. after finishing the xp
>installation i realised, that xp assigned the driveletter i: to the start-
>und systemdrive. internal cardreader, dvd, cdrom have the drive c: d: e:
>etc...
>
>what did i wrong. i want my start- und systempartitin to be assigened the
>letter c. do i have to change my bios setting for the sata drive ?
>
>thanx for a hint
>
>tim

It is very likely that you cannot do this. C: will always be the first
primary partition on the first hard drive (connected to IDE1). As far
as I know, most motherboards will not POST unless there is a drive
connected to IDE1. The only possibility that I can think of is using a
program like Partition Magic (which boots from the CD). Perhaps you
can set the space on IDE1 (and IDE2 is you have a drive there) to
"unallocated" and then create a primary partition the SATA drive.
But why bother with all this? W2K and XP can install to logical
partitions. It really doesn't make any difference what drive letter it
is.
Daryl

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

There is a method to fix this detailed at MS, but it does not always work
and sometimes results in LOSS.

I would recommend a reinstall. Disconnect the card reader first.

If you leave the system as is you could get in a real mess as the Boot part
of the system may not be one your system partition.

Basically this can happen in several situations. The obvious culprit here is
having the card device installed during setup, another is creating a
partition C, then D, deleting C and recreating C then installing on C ==>
not C (if I understood it correctly and explained clearly).

It is a *lot* easier just to reinstall. A repair will not fix it.

FYI: the MS fix involves deleting some registry keys, but can leave the
system unbootable.