recogniWindows XP will notze my CDRom drive

For a while now My computer wont recognize any cdrom drive. What I mean
is it wont even have the icon in "my computer" at all. Ive tryed
swapping the cd rom drive with one i know works and also changing the
IDE cables however niether has any effect. When I first connect the
cdrom and start up the computer the plug and play thing pops up and
says it found the cdrom drive, but then when i go into device manager
it says it is unable to find it with error 41.

Another wierd symptom is when i remove the driver and reboot windows
exp during the boot process it says that i have no secondary master and
that i should switch the slave drive to master. Once again I have
swapped the ide cables around to ensure they are in correctly and still
no result.

My problem has gotten progressivly worse and My computer wont even
start up with the secondary ide cable plugged into the motehr board. I
am pretty sure that the problem lies with either windows xp or my mother
board.

Finally i would imagine that a format of the harddrive and a clean
install could fix this problem (if it is with windows) but i cant do
this with out a functional cdrom drive.

Thanks for any advice or sollutions

--
TriForce
TriForce's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=676

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Is everything being correctly identified in your BIOS?

How old is the motherboard? The battery could require replacement as the
BIOS might be losing all info.

"TriForce" <TriForce.1id9ho@news.nospam.local> wrote in message

> For a while now My computer wont recognize any cdrom drive. What I mean
> is it wont even have the icon in "my computer" at all. Ive tryed
> swapping the cd rom drive with one i know works and also changing the
> IDE cables however niether has any effect. When I first connect the
> cdrom and start up the computer the plug and play thing pops up and
> says it found the cdrom drive, but then when i go into device manager
> it says it is unable to find it with error 41.
>
> Another wierd symptom is when i remove the driver and reboot windows
> exp during the boot process it says that i have no secondary master and
> that i should switch the slave drive to master. Once again I have
> swapped the ide cables around to ensure they are in correctly and still
> no result.
>
> My problem has gotten progressivly worse and My computer wont even
> start up with the secondary ide cable plugged into the motehr board. I
> am pretty sure that the problem lies with either windows xp or my mother
> board.
>
> Finally i would imagine that a format of the harddrive and a clean
> install could fix this problem (if it is with windows) but i cant do
> this with out a functional cdrom drive.
>

> Thanks for any advice or sollutions
>

> --
> TriForce
> TriForce's Profile:
> http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=676
> View this thread:
> http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/showthread.phtml?t=136543

Make sure your jumper settings on the CD-ROM are correct.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310123

r.