external device doesn't show up anywhere

Jo

I have an apple ipod (configured for windows) and am trying to connect to my
windows xp sp2 machine. I have installed all of the necessary software, but
the computer refuses to recognise the external device in any of the USB 2.0
ports I try, it does not appear either in the taskbar, in the my computer
folder or in the device manager. I have tried disabling norton antivirus,
but to no avail, any help anyone could give me would be much appreciated,
thanks,
-Jo

jo wrote:
> I have an apple ipod (configured for windows) and am trying to
> connect to my windows xp sp2 machine. I have installed all of the
> necessary software, but the computer refuses to recognise the
> external device in any of the USB 2.0 ports I try, it does not appear
> either in the taskbar, in the my computer folder or in the device
> manager. I have tried disabling norton antivirus, but to no avail,
> any help anyone could give me would be much appreciated, thanks,
> -Jo

Is the iPod turned on? Do any other devices work in the port(s) you are
accessing?

Jo

Yes the ipod id turned on, it just displays a fully charged battery logo. I
have tried a nikkon coolpix camera and a creative jukebox zen and they both
work fine, so I guess that means it is a software issue with the ipod bundle?
Still, any help would be useful

"Quaoar" wrote:

> jo wrote:
> > I have an apple ipod (configured for windows) and am trying to
> > connect to my windows xp sp2 machine. I have installed all of the
> > necessary software, but the computer refuses to recognise the
> > external device in any of the USB 2.0 ports I try, it does not appear
> > either in the taskbar, in the my computer folder or in the device
> > manager. I have tried disabling norton antivirus, but to no avail,
> > any help anyone could give me would be much appreciated, thanks,
> > -Jo
>
> Is the iPod turned on? Do any other devices work in the port(s) you are
> accessing?

Had the same trouble,initially trying to install Trust USB hub.Daughter
bought IPOD installed O.K but itunes would'nt recognise it.She then destroyed
Xp pro Operating system,wouldn't System restore on any dates. I managed to
reload Win XP PRO and service packs(lost quite a bit of save files,Thanks
Jen!)and after re-install Hub recognised and IPOD O.k.
She hasen't connected IPOD for maybe 6 days,and now found it has gone back
to being unrecognised again !! So back in trouble.

"jo" wrote:

> I have an apple ipod (configured for windows) and am trying to connect to my
> windows xp sp2 machine. I have installed all of the necessary software, but
> the computer refuses to recognise the external device in any of the USB 2.0
> ports I try, it does not appear either in the taskbar, in the my computer
> folder or in the device manager. I have tried disabling norton antivirus,
> but to no avail, any help anyone could give me would be much appreciated,
> thanks,
> -Jo

I have had similar problems. My computer with windows XP with SP2 won't
recognise my ipod dispite downloading latest up-dates. Keep getting error
message1904. module c:\program files\itunes\itunesmini player.dll failed to
register. HRESULT- 2147220473. contact your support personnel. When I
connect the iPod to the computer with itunes running the computer crashes.
PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP. Thankx

"glockspur" wrote:

> Had the same trouble,initially trying to install Trust USB hub.Daughter
> bought IPOD installed O.K but itunes would'nt recognise it.She then destroyed
> Xp pro Operating system,wouldn't System restore on any dates. I managed to
> reload Win XP PRO and service packs(lost quite a bit of save files,Thanks
> Jen!)and after re-install Hub recognised and IPOD O.k.
> She hasen't connected IPOD for maybe 6 days,and now found it has gone back
> to being unrecognised again !! So back in trouble.
>
> "jo" wrote:
>
> > I have an apple ipod (configured for windows) and am trying to connect to my
> > windows xp sp2 machine. I have installed all of the necessary software, but
> > the computer refuses to recognise the external device in any of the USB 2.0
> > ports I try, it does not appear either in the taskbar, in the my computer
> > folder or in the device manager. I have tried disabling norton antivirus,
> > but to no avail, any help anyone could give me would be much appreciated,
> > thanks,
> > -Jo

I wonder if the problems of "glockspur" are related to using a USB Hub.
Probably these devices should be connected directly to the USB port. Just a
guess.

r.