GA-K8NS Ultra-939 and Smart Fan Control Problem

I just bought the GA-K8NS Ultra-939 along with an Athalon 64 3200+ in a
retail box (standard AMD fan). When I hooked everything up, the CPU fan
stopped running while I was setting up the inital bios settings. The
CPU fan fail alarm immediately went off. I then turned the smart fan
control off to avoid frying my CPU and everything appears to work. My
question is according to the manual (yes I did read it) the fan speed
is reduced if the temperature is lower then 40 c. I assume reduce means
it is still running not stopped. Is this normal? Needless to say, I
didn't wait for the cpu to haet up to see if it start running again.
Other than that, the board seems fine. I would still like to use this
feature if it actually works.

Normal