GA-K8NS Ultra-939 and Smart Fan Control Problem

I just bought the Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 along with an Athlon 64
3200+ in a retail box (standard AMD fan). When I hooked everything up,
the CPU fan stopped running while I was setting up the inital bios
settings. The CPU fan fail alarm immediately went off. I then turned
the smart fan control off to avoid frying my CPU and everything appears
to work. My question is according to the manual (yes I did read it) the
fan speed is reduced if the temperature is lower then 40 c. I assume
reduce means it is still running not stopped. Is this normal? Needless
to say, I didn't wait for the cpu to haet up to see if it start running
again. Other than that, the board seems fine. I would still like to use
this feature if it actually works.

phughes200@hotmail.com wrote:
> I just bought the Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 along with an Athlon 64
> 3200+ in a retail box (standard AMD fan). When I hooked everything up,
> the CPU fan stopped running while I was setting up the inital bios
> settings. The CPU fan fail alarm immediately went off. I then turned
> the smart fan control off to avoid frying my CPU and everything appears
> to work. My question is according to the manual (yes I did read it) the
> fan speed is reduced if the temperature is lower then 40 c. I assume
> reduce means it is still running not stopped. Is this normal? Needless
> to say, I didn't wait for the cpu to haet up to see if it start running
> again. Other than that, the board seems fine. I would still like to use
> this feature if it actually works.

I've run into this too, only I use a Zalman CPU cooler on a
potentiometer. Zalman warns of this possibly happening if you have the
pot set for the lowest RPM setting for the fan. Disabling the smart fan
control seems to get rid of the problem, although so will a vulcan nerve
pinch as soon as you hear the alarm. I've noticed that this only seems
to occur from a cold bootup too, but not on a warm reset of my system.

-Rick

I got a reply from Gigabyte support (surprised how fast they answered).
In broken english, they said this was normal. They said that you can
either use the smart fan control or the fail CPU fan alarm but not both
at the same time. I appreciate everyones responses. I found it
unsettling to wait for the fan to turn on during a cold boot.