Gigabyte GA-7VAXP - Ultra USB 2 Problems!

Please Help! I have had this board for a while now, and still i am unable
to get devices to run at USB 2 Speeds.

I have enabled USB 1.1 and USB 2 in the bios settings. I am currently using
a USB 2 HUB but windows doesnt recognise it as USB 2 it keeps on telling me
that this device could run faster if i connect to a HI - SPEED USB Port.

I have tried every USB port on the board, it is currently connected to the
HI-SPEED Bracket that comes with the board that is connected to the USB 2
connection on the board.

Please Help, as i am going out of my mind trying to get this thing working.

Running Windows XP Professional, SP2, all updates upto date.
12 answers Last reply
More about gigabyte 7vaxp ultra problems

    Mag1c1an wrote:
    > Please Help! I have had this board for a while now, and still i am
    > unable to get devices to run at USB 2 Speeds.
    >
    > I have enabled USB 1.1 and USB 2 in the bios settings. I am
    > currently using a USB 2 HUB but windows doesnt recognise it as USB 2
    > it keeps on telling me that this device could run faster if i connect
    > to a HI - SPEED USB Port.
    >
    > I have tried every USB port on the board, it is currently connected
    > to the HI-SPEED Bracket that comes with the board that is connected
    > to the USB 2 connection on the board.
    >
    > Please Help, as i am going out of my mind trying to get this thing
    > working.
    >
    > Running Windows XP Professional, SP2, all updates upto date.

    Ok, I had one of these boards and achieved USB2 speeds using the supplied
    bracket, which is a hi-speed certified cable. All six ports on this board
    are USB2.0 and work with XP. I'd put my money on controller drivers. Try
    this one (install it over what you have already):
    http://www.viaarena.com/downloads/drivers/USB/VIA_USB2_V260-L.zip

    Ian wrote:
    > Mag1c1an wrote:
    >> Please Help! I have had this board for a while now, and still i am
    >> unable to get devices to run at USB 2 Speeds.
    >>
    >> I have enabled USB 1.1 and USB 2 in the bios settings. I am
    >> currently using a USB 2 HUB but windows doesnt recognise it as USB 2
    >> it keeps on telling me that this device could run faster if i connect
    >> to a HI - SPEED USB Port.
    >>
    >> I have tried every USB port on the board, it is currently connected
    >> to the HI-SPEED Bracket that comes with the board that is connected
    >> to the USB 2 connection on the board.
    >>
    >> Please Help, as i am going out of my mind trying to get this thing
    >> working.
    >>
    >> Running Windows XP Professional, SP2, all updates upto date.
    >
    > Ok, I had one of these boards and achieved USB2 speeds using the
    > supplied bracket, which is a hi-speed certified cable. All six ports
    > on this board are USB2.0 and work with XP. I'd put my money on
    > controller drivers. Try this one (install it over what you have
    > already):
    > http://www.viaarena.com/downloads/drivers/USB/VIA_USB2_V260-L.zip

    Oh, and make sure USB 2.0 is enabled in the BIOS !!!

    Hi Again, Installed the drivers you sent me. Now what sort of speed should
    i be transferring a 697mb file to say a 5 GB USB Seagate Mini HDD?

    "Ian" <ioxley33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Ian wrote:
    >> Mag1c1an wrote:
    >>> Please Help! I have had this board for a while now, and still i am
    >>> unable to get devices to run at USB 2 Speeds.
    >>>
    >>> I have enabled USB 1.1 and USB 2 in the bios settings. I am
    >>> currently using a USB 2 HUB but windows doesnt recognise it as USB 2
    >>> it keeps on telling me that this device could run faster if i connect
    >>> to a HI - SPEED USB Port.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried every USB port on the board, it is currently connected
    >>> to the HI-SPEED Bracket that comes with the board that is connected
    >>> to the USB 2 connection on the board.
    >>>
    >>> Please Help, as i am going out of my mind trying to get this thing
    >>> working.
    >>>
    >>> Running Windows XP Professional, SP2, all updates upto date.
    >>
    >> Ok, I had one of these boards and achieved USB2 speeds using the
    >> supplied bracket, which is a hi-speed certified cable. All six ports
    >> on this board are USB2.0 and work with XP. I'd put my money on
    >> controller drivers. Try this one (install it over what you have
    >> already):
    >> http://www.viaarena.com/downloads/drivers/USB/VIA_USB2_V260-L.zip
    >
    > Oh, and make sure USB 2.0 is enabled in the BIOS !!!

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Mag1c1an wrote:
    > Now what sort of speed
    > should i be transferring a 697mb file to say a 5 GB USB Seagate Mini
    > HDD?

    At about 6 MB/sec, it looks like.
    http://www.thechannelinsider.com/article2/0,1759,1763548,00.asp
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Mag1c1an wrote:
    > Hi Again, Installed the drivers you sent me. Now what sort of speed
    > should i be transferring a 697mb file to say a 5 GB USB Seagate Mini
    > HDD?

    Er, no idea actually!
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    I think the problems are, 1) The hub is not a USB 2.0 Hi-Speed hub, or 2)
    the supplied USB cable is not, so get a genuine USB 2.0 Hi-Speed cable, or
    test the hub on another machine.

    Also, XP may not support the USB hub you got. On Win2k & WInME, its
    displayed and proven to be a USB 2.0 hi-speed, but in xp, it not.

    "Mag1c1an" <mag1c1an@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Please Help! I have had this board for a while now, and still i am unable
    > to get devices to run at USB 2 Speeds.
    >
    > I have enabled USB 1.1 and USB 2 in the bios settings. I am currently
    using
    > a USB 2 HUB but windows doesnt recognise it as USB 2 it keeps on telling
    me
    > that this device could run faster if i connect to a HI - SPEED USB Port.
    >
    > I have tried every USB port on the board, it is currently connected to the
    > HI-SPEED Bracket that comes with the board that is connected to the USB 2
    > connection on the board.
    >
    > Please Help, as i am going out of my mind trying to get this thing
    working.

    > Running Windows XP Professional, SP2, all updates upto date.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Ian wrote:
    > Mag1c1an wrote:
    >> Hi Again, Installed the drivers you sent me. Now what sort of speed
    >> should i be transferring a 697mb file to say a 5 GB USB Seagate Mini
    >> HDD?
    >>
    > Er, no idea actually!

    In theory USB 2.0 can hit 480mb/sec, but I'd be amazed if you transferred
    your file in what would then be less than 2 seconds. However, I would not
    expect more than 10 seconds, say.

    Has the warning message cleared now?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

    I repeat, ensure BIOS enabling of USB 2.0.

    Ian.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Jesus, this is really starting to tick me off now.

    USB 2 is enabled in BIOS, the system says i have USB 2 drivers installed,
    and i have an VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller installed in my device
    manager.

    But I am still getting the warning message off my USB 2 Hub. Could this be
    the Hubs Fault? Or am i doing something completely stupid.

    "Ian" <io@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm
    >
    > I repeat, ensure BIOS enabling of USB 2.0.
    >
    > Ian.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    I am sorry that I didn't follow the entire post but is sounds like the
    problem I had with my 7N400. I had a hub that would flip back and
    forth from 2.0 to 1.1 and back again over a period hours days or
    weeks. It also caused my HP scanner to revert to 1.1 even though it
    wasn't pluged into the hub.

    Got a new hub and have had no problem since. BTW the old hub works
    fine on my wifes computer.

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:42:12 GMT, "Mag1c1an" <mag1c1an@ntlworld.com>
    wrote:

    >Jesus, this is really starting to tick me off now.
    >
    >USB 2 is enabled in BIOS, the system says i have USB 2 drivers installed,
    >and i have an VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller installed in my device
    >manager.
    >
    >But I am still getting the warning message off my USB 2 Hub. Could this be
    >the Hubs Fault? Or am i doing something completely stupid.
    >

    >"Ian" <io@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm
    >>
    >> I repeat, ensure BIOS enabling of USB 2.0.
    >>
    >> Ian.

  11. Hi Ian,
    I am having the same problem. And I was wondering does this driver support every Gigabyte borad?

    Thanks,

    Hien
  12. FYI.

    The transfer rate on USB 2.0 is 480Mbps (Mega bits) this equates to about 48MBps (Mega Bytes) allowing for 8 bits per Byte + error checking and stop bits etc.

    Most high speed IDE drives running at 7200rpm will only read and write at about 30-40 Mega Bytes a second (writing is generally slower of course). This means that the USB 2.0 system should allow your device to run at it's maximum speed, unhindered by the cable or bus.

    Also note that most flash drives cannot attain these writing speeds and as a result it will take longer to copy to them. This does not mean that there is a problem with your system.

    so... to copy a 697MB file should take more like 20 - 30 seconds on a high speed drive but would take longer on a flash drive.

Gigabyte USB Motherboards