Power Supply recommendation

Ryan

I have a P4 2.26 gigahertz proc. and was wondering what kind of
recommendation for a power supply I should get.

I'm not looking to overclock and or anything heavy. I'm confused when it
comes to dual fans and voltages.

Any help would be appreciated.

You need a power supply that will carry all the loads from
the motherboard and CPU plus the RAM and each drive, plus
the add-in cards, USB ports and anything else you connect to
the computer, plus a little reserve.
A 250 Watt PSU will overheat if you try to make it deliver
250 Watts 100% of the time and a 450 Watt unit will run just
fine delivering 250 Watts 24/7/365.

Use the power calculators to find the minimum size you need
and then get a size bigger. Buy a name brand.

"ryan" <ryan@email.com> wrote in message
|I have a P4 2.26 gigahertz proc. and was wondering what
kind of
| recommendation for a power supply I should get.
|
| I'm not looking to overclock and or anything heavy. I'm
confused when it
| comes to dual fans and voltages.
|
| Any help would be appreciated.

jr

Jim,

What would be a named brand power supply?

> You need a power supply that will carry all the loads from
> the motherboard and CPU plus the RAM and each drive, plus
> the add-in cards, USB ports and anything else you connect to
> the computer, plus a little reserve.
> A 250 Watt PSU will overheat if you try to make it deliver
> 250 Watts 100% of the time and a 450 Watt unit will run just
> fine delivering 250 Watts 24/7/365.
>
> Use the power calculators to find the minimum size you need
> and then get a size bigger. Buy a name brand.

> "ryan" <ryan@email.com> wrote in message
> |I have a P4 2.26 gigahertz proc. and was wondering what
> kind of
> | recommendation for a power supply I should get.
> |
> | I'm not looking to overclock and or anything heavy. I'm
> confused when it
> | comes to dual fans and voltages.
> |
> | Any help would be appreciated.

Antec www.antec-inc.com PC Power and Cooling, Inc
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/
to name just two brand names.

"JR" <jr@23hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Jim,
|
| What would be a named brand power supply?

in message
| > You need a power supply that will carry all the loads
from
| > the motherboard and CPU plus the RAM and each drive,
plus
| > the add-in cards, USB ports and anything else you
connect to
| > the computer, plus a little reserve.
| > A 250 Watt PSU will overheat if you try to make it
deliver
| > 250 Watts 100% of the time and a 450 Watt unit will run
just
| > fine delivering 250 Watts 24/7/365.
| >
| > Use the power calculators to find the minimum size you
need
| > and then get a size bigger. Buy a name brand.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "ryan" <ryan@email.com> wrote in message
| > |I have a P4 2.26 gigahertz proc. and was wondering what
| > kind of
| > | recommendation for a power supply I should get.
| > |
| > | I'm not looking to overclock and or anything heavy.
I'm
| > confused when it
| > | comes to dual fans and voltages.
| > |
| > | Any help would be appreciated.
| > |
| > |

Andy

Get this power supply: <http://www.directron.com/fsp30060pn.html>.

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Power supply wattage calculator
> http://www.adecy.com/psu/

Interesting link, Carey; using that calculator, it says I need a 571
watt PSU - hard to believe when I already have a 480 watt Thermaltake
Butterfly Pure Power and all is well.

You notice that it is only recommendations. As they don't sell power
supplies I don't think they have an agenda!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)