Hi,

I have a client who has a DVD recorder and CD-RW combo drive. Windows XP
sees the drive and the registry reports it correctly as being a CD-RW.
However, the Record tab does not appear and drag-and-drop doesn't work for
creating CD-Rs. Is this because it is a combo unit? Do I have to use
recording software with it?

Thanks

Drag and drop requires third party software such as Easy Media Creator's
"Drag to Disk" or Nero's InCD. This is known as packet writing and is not
supported natively in XP. DVD recording also requires third party software.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"T Dutter" <T Dutter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a client who has a DVD recorder and CD-RW combo drive. Windows XP
> sees the drive and the registry reports it correctly as being a CD-RW.
> However, the Record tab does not appear and drag-and-drop doesn't work for
> creating CD-Rs. Is this because it is a combo unit? Do I have to use
> recording software with it?
>
> Thanks

Also, you can only enable cd recording on one recordable drive at a time
(WinXP version anyway).

r.

> Drag and drop requires third party software such as Easy Media Creator's
> "Drag to Disk" or Nero's InCD. This is known as packet writing and is not
> supported natively in XP. DVD recording also requires third party
> software.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "T Dutter" <T Dutter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a client who has a DVD recorder and CD-RW combo drive. Windows XP
>> sees the drive and the registry reports it correctly as being a CD-RW.
>> However, the Record tab does not appear and drag-and-drop doesn't work
>> for
>> creating CD-Rs. Is this because it is a combo unit? Do I have to use
>> recording software with it?
>>
>> Thanks

Actually, both statements are incorrect.

Windows is able to write to a CD-r/CD-RW without third-party software. Also,
Windows does support more than one CD writer without third-party software.

T Dutter, XP does have problems with writing CDs; that's why most people
just get third-party software. Check the knowledge base on Microsoft's site
for possible problems.

FWIW, I have both a DVD reader/CD-RW combo drive and a DVD-RW/CD-RW drive.
XP recognizes the CD-RW on both drives. (Of course, XP does not support
writing to a DVD without third-party software.)

courtney sends....

"namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
> Also, you can only enable cd recording on one recordable drive at a time
> (WinXP version anyway).
>
> r.
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>> Drag and drop requires third party software such as Easy Media Creator's
>> "Drag to Disk" or Nero's InCD. This is known as packet writing and is
>> not supported natively in XP. DVD recording also requires third party
>> software.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "T Dutter" <T Dutter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a client who has a DVD recorder and CD-RW combo drive. Windows
>>> XP
>>> sees the drive and the registry reports it correctly as being a CD-RW.
>>> However, the Record tab does not appear and drag-and-drop doesn't work
>>> for
>>> creating CD-Rs. Is this because it is a combo unit? Do I have to use
>>> recording software with it?
>>>
>>> Thanks

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Yes, XP is able to write to a CD-R/RW without third party software.
However, it cannot drag and drop or save directly to CD as it would a floppy
or a hard drive without the installation of packet writing software.

That is what I originally stated and it is not incorrect.