8KNXP Performance v. installed memory

I need to increase the RAM on my 8KNXP. It has 2 x 512M sticks in it
now. I tried installing an additional 2 x 256M sticks but the
performance went to hell in a handbasket. Memtest and Sandra both
showed that the memory bandwidth decreased by 20% and PAT became
disabled with the additional memory. So I pulled out the additional
512M and stuck it in another machine.

So what I'm wondering is whether PAT and the higher-performance memory
settings will remain enabled if two 1GB sticks are installed.

Anyone here have 2GB in two 1GB sticks and can confirm that the
performance settings are still enabled?

FoggyBottom wrote:
> I need to increase the RAM on my 8KNXP. It has 2 x 512M sticks in it
> now. I tried installing an additional 2 x 256M sticks but the
> performance went to hell in a handbasket. Memtest and Sandra both
> showed that the memory bandwidth decreased by 20% and PAT became
> disabled with the additional memory. So I pulled out the additional
> 512M and stuck it in another machine.
>
> So what I'm wondering is whether PAT and the higher-performance memory
> settings will remain enabled if two 1GB sticks are installed.
>
> Anyone here have 2GB in two 1GB sticks and can confirm that the
> performance settings are still enabled?

Got this from OCZ when I inquired about adding memory to my 8KNXP.2. Gotta love a company that would do this, as they essentially talked themselves out of a sale. They did however keep a very happy customer!

Hi,
Our 256MB modules are all single sided. How many additional modules do you
plan to add? It is not a good idea to use four single sided 256MB modules in
the remaining 4 slots. You can add another 1GB PC3200 dual channel kit with
better performance compare to 4 x 256MB modules. However, we can not
guarantee 2GB memory will still operate at spec memory timings and speed
since they are not pre-tested quad kit. You may need to relax memory
timings or increase DDR voltage to make them work together. Usually memory
controller is very stressed when more than 2 modules are used. If you use
regular Windows applications, which do not require 2GB memory, the overall
performance will be dropped if you use 4 modules at the same time. If you
have any other questions regarding our products, please feel free to let us
know. We would be happy to assist you.

Rick