re networking help

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
March 12, 2005 4:29:38 PM

HELP

I HAVE A TWO PCS BOTH WITH WIFI CARDS IN BOTH SEEM TO WORK, THEY PICK UP TWO
CONNECTIONS ABC123 AND LINKSYS.

THESE MUST BE NAYBOURS OR SOMETHING

I'VE CALLED MY TWO - UP AND DOWN, WHEN SERCHING FOR AVALABLE CONNECTIONS I
CANT FIND EITHER.

I'VE DONE THE WIRELESS NETWORK WIZZARD AND THE HOME NETWORK WIZZARD; I'M
RUNNING XP HOME ON ONE PC AND XP PRO ON THE OTHER.

I ALSO HAVE A WIRELESS IPAQ THAT ONLY FINDS ABC123 AND LINKSYS.

HELP

More about : networking

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 12, 2005 4:29:39 PM

A very confusing post I must say. Are you not seeing your network? Is that
the problem?

You have 2 PCs with wireless cards. What Models? Also are you using a
router?(What Model) or trying to setup an AD-HOC network?

Robert...

"c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> HELP
>

> I HAVE A TWO PCS BOTH WITH WIFI CARDS IN BOTH SEEM TO WORK, THEY PICK UP
> TWO CONNECTIONS ABC123 AND LINKSYS.
>
> THESE MUST BE NAYBOURS OR SOMETHING
>
> I'VE CALLED MY TWO - UP AND DOWN, WHEN SERCHING FOR AVALABLE CONNECTIONS I
> CANT FIND EITHER.
>

> I'VE DONE THE WIRELESS NETWORK WIZZARD AND THE HOME NETWORK WIZZARD; I'M
> RUNNING XP HOME ON ONE PC AND XP PRO ON THE OTHER.
>

> I ALSO HAVE A WIRELESS IPAQ THAT ONLY FINDS ABC123 AND LINKSYS.
>

> HELP

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 12, 2005 10:10:20 PM

thanks for your help i've got a realtek rtl8180 and a tl-wn250, i'm not
using a router, i want to share files and an internet conection.

"DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:o rE5PNyJFHA.484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>A very confusing post I must say. Are you not seeing your network? Is that
>the problem?
>
> You have 2 PCs with wireless cards. What Models? Also are you using a
> router?(What Model) or trying to setup an AD-HOC network?
>
> Robert...
>
> "c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> HELP
>>

>> I HAVE A TWO PCS BOTH WITH WIFI CARDS IN BOTH SEEM TO WORK, THEY PICK UP
>> TWO CONNECTIONS ABC123 AND LINKSYS.
>>
>> THESE MUST BE NAYBOURS OR SOMETHING
>>
>> I'VE CALLED MY TWO - UP AND DOWN, WHEN SERCHING FOR AVALABLE CONNECTIONS
>> I CANT FIND EITHER.
>>

>> I'VE DONE THE WIRELESS NETWORK WIZZARD AND THE HOME NETWORK WIZZARD; I'M
>> RUNNING XP HOME ON ONE PC AND XP PRO ON THE OTHER.
>>

>> I ALSO HAVE A WIRELESS IPAQ THAT ONLY FINDS ABC123 AND LINKSYS.
>>

>> HELP

a b F Wireless
March 12, 2005 10:10:21 PM

What Operating Systems and service packs are you using?

The tl-wn250 is a 802.11b PCI card for a desktop. The rtl8180 just tells me
what chipset you are using. Is this a wireless adapter or a Ethernet NIC?
Also is this in a laptop or another desktop?

If you are not going to use a router you must setup your wireless adapters
for a AD-HOC network, not an infrastructer network. Are you using the client
software or windows to configure your network adapters? Each adapter must be
set for AD-HOC, using the same SSID, same authentication and same security
settings before it can work. You can also tell them to ignore Infrastructure
networks so those others will not showup on your available networks list.

> thanks for your help i've got a realtek rtl8180 and a tl-wn250, i'm not
> using a router, i want to share files and an internet conection.
>

> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> news:o rE5PNyJFHA.484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>A very confusing post I must say. Are you not seeing your network? Is that
>>the problem?
>>
>> You have 2 PCs with wireless cards. What Models? Also are you using a
>> router?(What Model) or trying to setup an AD-HOC network?
>>
>> Robert...
>>
>> "c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> HELP
>>>

>>> I HAVE A TWO PCS BOTH WITH WIFI CARDS IN BOTH SEEM TO WORK, THEY PICK UP
>>> TWO CONNECTIONS ABC123 AND LINKSYS.
>>>
>>> THESE MUST BE NAYBOURS OR SOMETHING
>>>
>>> I'VE CALLED MY TWO - UP AND DOWN, WHEN SERCHING FOR AVALABLE CONNECTIONS
>>> I CANT FIND EITHER.
>>>

>>> I'VE DONE THE WIRELESS NETWORK WIZZARD AND THE HOME NETWORK WIZZARD; I'M
>>> RUNNING XP HOME ON ONE PC AND XP PRO ON THE OTHER.
>>>

>>> I ALSO HAVE A WIRELESS IPAQ THAT ONLY FINDS ABC123 AND LINKSYS.
>>>

>>> HELP

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 13, 2005 10:41:09 AM

thanks

right both set to ad hock ssid set to pc, network address set to 10.170.20.1
on one pc and 10.170.20.2 on the other

both desktops, both using xp home one with all updates one with none (need
to get this internet connection)

the tl-wn250+ is a wireless lan pci adapter

trying to use windows to config not there software

> What Operating Systems and service packs are you using?
>
> The tl-wn250 is a 802.11b PCI card for a desktop. The rtl8180 just tells
> me what chipset you are using. Is this a wireless adapter or a Ethernet
> NIC? Also is this in a laptop or another desktop?

> If you are not going to use a router you must setup your wireless adapters
> for a AD-HOC network, not an infrastructer network. Are you using the
> client software or windows to configure your network adapters? Each
> adapter must be set for AD-HOC, using the same SSID, same authentication
> and same security settings before it can work. You can also tell them to
> ignore Infrastructure networks so those others will not showup on your
> available networks list.
>
> Robert...
>
> "c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> thanks for your help i've got a realtek rtl8180 and a tl-wn250, i'm not
>> using a router, i want to share files and an internet conection.
>>

>> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> news:o rE5PNyJFHA.484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>>A very confusing post I must say. Are you not seeing your network? Is
>>>that the problem?
>>>
>>> You have 2 PCs with wireless cards. What Models? Also are you using a
>>> router?(What Model) or trying to setup an AD-HOC network?
>>>
>>> Robert...
>>>
>>> "c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 13, 2005 10:41:10 AM

ok, so what does the wireless conection say in the system tray on both
computers? Does it show you are connected?

news:p 8SYd.21$5M4.19@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
> thanks
>
> right both set to ad hock ssid set to pc, network address set to
> 10.170.20.1 on one pc and 10.170.20.2 on the other
>
> both desktops, both using xp home one with all updates one with none (need
> to get this internet connection)
>
> the tl-wn250+ is a wireless lan pci adapter
>
> trying to use windows to config not there software
>

> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> What Operating Systems and service packs are you using?
>>
>> The tl-wn250 is a 802.11b PCI card for a desktop. The rtl8180 just tells
>> me what chipset you are using. Is this a wireless adapter or a Ethernet
>> NIC? Also is this in a laptop or another desktop?
>

>> If you are not going to use a router you must setup your wireless
>> adapters for a AD-HOC network, not an infrastructer network. Are you
>> using the client software or windows to configure your network adapters?
>> Each adapter must be set for AD-HOC, using the same SSID, same
>> authentication and same security settings before it can work. You can
>> also tell them to ignore Infrastructure networks so those others will not
>> showup on your available networks list.
>>
>> Robert...
>>
>> "c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> thanks for your help i've got a realtek rtl8180 and a tl-wn250, i'm not
>>> using a router, i want to share files and an internet conection.
>>>

>>> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>> news:o rE5PNyJFHA.484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 13, 2005 11:00:06 AM

no not unless I try and connect to abc123 or linksys, they will allow me to
connect but will not send any data, obviously encrypted

> ok, so what does the wireless conection say in the system tray on both
> computers? Does it show you are connected?
>
> Robert...
>
> "c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:p 8SYd.21$5M4.19@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
>> thanks
>>
>> right both set to ad hock ssid set to pc, network address set to
>> 10.170.20.1 on one pc and 10.170.20.2 on the other
>>
>> both desktops, both using xp home one with all updates one with none
>> (need to get this internet connection)
>>
>> the tl-wn250+ is a wireless lan pci adapter
>>
>> trying to use windows to config not there software
>>

>> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>> What Operating Systems and service packs are you using?
>>>
>>> The tl-wn250 is a 802.11b PCI card for a desktop. The rtl8180 just tells
>>> me what chipset you are using. Is this a wireless adapter or a Ethernet
>>> NIC? Also is this in a laptop or another desktop?
>>

>>> If you are not going to use a router you must setup your wireless
>>> adapters for a AD-HOC network, not an infrastructer network. Are you
>>> using the client software or windows to configure your network adapters?
>>> Each adapter must be set for AD-HOC, using the same SSID, same
>>> authentication and same security settings before it can work. You can
>>> also tell them to ignore Infrastructure networks so those others will
>>> not showup on your available networks list.
>>>
>>> Robert...
>>>
>>> "c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 13, 2005 11:00:07 AM

What about the Subnet, what is it set for? Set it to something like
255.255.255.0 on both machines. What about firewalls? Disable any that are
running.

> no not unless I try and connect to abc123 or linksys, they will allow me
> to connect but will not send any data, obviously encrypted
>

> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> ok, so what does the wireless conection say in the system tray on both
>> computers? Does it show you are connected?
>>
>> Robert...
>>
>> "c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:p 8SYd.21$5M4.19@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> right both set to ad hock ssid set to pc, network address set to
>>> 10.170.20.1 on one pc and 10.170.20.2 on the other
>>>
>>> both desktops, both using xp home one with all updates one with none
>>> (need to get this internet connection)
>>>
>>> the tl-wn250+ is a wireless lan pci adapter
>>>
>>> trying to use windows to config not there software
>>>

>>> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 13, 2005 11:39:22 AM

yes it is set to that and fire walls are off

> What about the Subnet, what is it set for? Set it to something like
> 255.255.255.0 on both machines. What about firewalls? Disable any that are
> running.
>
> "c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> no not unless I try and connect to abc123 or linksys, they will allow me
>> to connect but will not send any data, obviously encrypted
>>

>> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>> ok, so what does the wireless conection say in the system tray on both
>>> computers? Does it show you are connected?
>>>
>>> Robert...
>>>
>>> "c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> news:p 8SYd.21$5M4.19@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 13, 2005 12:17:59 PM

I seem to have them both connected to my network now called "bob" but they
will only see themselves not each other both are transmitting but not
receiving.

> yes it is set to that and fire walls are off
>

> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> What about the Subnet, what is it set for? Set it to something like
>> 255.255.255.0 on both machines. What about firewalls? Disable any that
>> are running.
>>
>> "c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> no not unless I try and connect to abc123 or linksys, they will allow me
>>> to connect but will not send any data, obviously encrypted
>>>

>>> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 13, 2005 12:32:49 PM

ok I now have them sharing, I'm transferring a file that's 1.6 gig and its
taking 100 mins is that normal? also I now need to set up the internet
sharing.

>I seem to have them both connected to my network now called "bob" but they
>will only see themselves not each other both are transmitting but not
>receiving.
>

> "c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> yes it is set to that and fire walls are off
>>

>> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>> What about the Subnet, what is it set for? Set it to something like
>>> 255.255.255.0 on both machines. What about firewalls? Disable any that
>>> are running.
>>>
>>> "c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 13, 2005 12:32:50 PM

That seems a bit slow, about 250KBs, There could be interferance and
distance between computers will also be a factor, and antivirus programs
will slow it down also.

Now for internet sharing, run the wireless network wizard on the computers
and set the computer connected to the internet to share its connection and
set the other to connect through another computer.

> ok I now have them sharing, I'm transferring a file that's 1.6 gig and its
> taking 100 mins is that normal? also I now need to set up the internet
> sharing.
>

> "c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I seem to have them both connected to my network now called "bob" but they
>>will only see themselves not each other both are transmitting but not
>>receiving.
>>

>> "c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> yes it is set to that and fire walls are off
>>>

>>> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 13, 2005 1:30:31 PM

The two pcs are in the same small room so distance isn't a factor, I notice
its taking almost all of my system recourses to send this file cpu`s at 98%,
I'll try the internet sharing wizard.

Thanks

> That seems a bit slow, about 250KBs, There could be interferance and
> distance between computers will also be a factor, and antivirus programs
> will slow it down also.
>
> Now for internet sharing, run the wireless network wizard on the computers
> and set the computer connected to the internet to share its connection and
> set the other to connect through another computer.
>
> Robert...
>
> "c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> ok I now have them sharing, I'm transferring a file that's 1.6 gig and
>> its taking 100 mins is that normal? also I now need to set up the
>> internet sharing.
>>

>> "c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I seem to have them both connected to my network now called "bob" but
>>>they will only see themselves not each other both are transmitting but
>>>not receiving.
>>>

>>> "c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 13, 2005 2:24:28 PM

Right I now have internet as well thanks for all your help

> The two pcs are in the same small room so distance isn't a factor, I
> notice its taking almost all of my system recourses to send this file
> cpu`s at 98%, I'll try the internet sharing wizard.
>

> Thanks
>
> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> That seems a bit slow, about 250KBs, There could be interferance and
>> distance between computers will also be a factor, and antivirus programs
>> will slow it down also.
>>
>> Now for internet sharing, run the wireless network wizard on the
>> computers and set the computer connected to the internet to share its
>> connection and set the other to connect through another computer.
>>
>> Robert...
>>
>> "c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> ok I now have them sharing, I'm transferring a file that's 1.6 gig and
>>> its taking 100 mins is that normal? also I now need to set up the
>>> internet sharing.
>>>

>>> "c_bcan" <ellisa2079@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b F Wireless