GA K8NF-9 and memory issue

hello!

i have a question about RAM slots. it's said, that GA K8NF-9 runs only
with 2 or 4 occupied memory slots. i have 2x512MB (different memory
manuf., in 1st and 3rd bank) and it runs quite well. but when i try to
install additional 2x256MB in slots 3 and 4, the computer doesn't
start. it beeps and hangs.

and now question:
if i want to install additional mem, should i buy 4 the same RAM pieces
(the same manuf.), or what?
why config:
slot 1: 512MB
slot 2: 256MB
slot 3: 512MB
slot 4: 256MB
doesn't work? is it becouse all mems are from different manuf.? or
what?

what is your suggestion, to install all 4 slots? i need more than 1GB
ram.

thx,
sry 4 my eng :)
greets

dradkowski@gmail.com schrieb:
> hello!
>
> i have a question about RAM slots. it's said, that GA K8NF-9 runs only
> with 2 or 4 occupied memory slots. i have 2x512MB (different memory
> manuf., in 1st and 3rd bank) and it runs quite well. but when i try to
> install additional 2x256MB in slots 3 and 4, the computer doesn't
> start. it beeps and hangs.
>
> and now question:
> if i want to install additional mem, should i buy 4 the same RAM pieces
> (the same manuf.), or what?
> why config:
> slot 1: 512MB
> slot 2: 256MB
> slot 3: 512MB
> slot 4: 256MB
> doesn't work? is it becouse all mems are from different manuf.? or
> what?
>
> what is your suggestion, to install all 4 slots? i need more than 1GB
> ram.
>
> thx,
> sry 4 my eng :)
> greets

Hi

I have the same board. I use Corsair Value Ram Twin Pack (2x512mb).
I would suggest 2 Twin Packs.

Michael

> i have a question about RAM slots. it's said, that GA K8NF-9 runs only
> with 2 or 4 occupied memory slots. i have 2x512MB (different memory
> manuf., in 1st and 3rd bank) and it runs quite well. but when i try to
> install additional 2x256MB in slots 3 and 4, the computer doesn't
> start. it beeps and hangs.

I have just been through the same dilemma (though it took me a while to work
it out via web research) with my GA-K8NS Pro.
I am very certain this advice will help you (but plese post back and let me
know how you went).

I recently added a second stick of 512MB RAM to my system (among other
things which made it harder to diagnose).

My PC was unstable and either hanging/freezing at any point between just
before the RAM was being checked at bootup to shortly after entering WinXP.
If it got to WinXP and frooze/hung, it was usually accompanied with the
graphics going all wierd.

I was lucky to find the right post listed a discussion forum that described
the exact symptoms. It was related to an poorly documented BIOS settings
and the extra stick of RAM I put in. For me, this fix only works if I place
two sticks of RAM in Slot 1 and Slot 2.

The motherboard manual only refers to the extra advnaced chipset BIOS
settings in one sentence and the BIOS DOES NOT tell you what keys to press
to access these extra advanced chipset BIOS settings (pretty bad design form
by Gigabyte IMHO)

Anyways, you must press CTRL+F1 to access the advanced chipset settings that
relate to RAM timings etc. Without a manual or specific instructions on
what to do, I made one change to a field in the advanced settings that
seemed to be related to what was being discussed at the forums (there was
lost of other things being suggested).

The field was "Max MemClock MHz" which was set at 200. It gave me the
optioon to set it to AUTO, 200,166,133,100. I set it to AUTO and the
problem instanly disappered 100% after a reboot.

To make sure you can firstly access the BIOS, boot up with one stick of RAM
(Slot 1) that you know will work and enter BIOS. Follow the instructions
above. Save to BIOS. Switch off the PC and add your second stick of RAM to
Slot 2.

Boot up and let me know how you go.

Hope this helps.

Bullman

"dradkowski" wrote:
> hello!
>
> i have a question about RAM slots. it's said, that GA K8NF-9
> runs only
> with 2 or 4 occupied memory slots. i have 2x512MB (different
> memory
> manuf., in 1st and 3rd bank) and it runs quite well. but when
> i try to
> install additional 2x256MB in slots 3 and 4, the computer
> doesn't
> start. it beeps and hangs.
>
> and now question:
> if i want to install additional mem, should i buy 4 the same
> RAM pieces
> (the same manuf.), or what?
> why config:
> slot 1: 512MB
> slot 2: 256MB
> slot 3: 512MB
> slot 4: 256MB
> doesn't work? is it becouse all mems are from different
> manuf.? or
> what?
>
> what is your suggestion, to install all 4 slots? i need more
> than 1GB
> ram.
>
> thx,
> sry 4 my eng :)
> greets

with this mother board

slot 1 must = slot 2
and
slot 3 must = slot 4

but i read some that its preferd u get all the same size ram for all
slots
and from experience if u fill up all the slots with the same ram or
not i dont think ur comp is going to start up

unless u get registerd RAM
cuz its DUAL chanel DDR ram

so it has to be the same

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigabyte-GA-K8NF-memory-issue-ftopict54964.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=276458

http://www.usenet.com

thx for info, but it didn't help :(
i've checked all settings and none worked.
i think i must change the 2 bad sticks to some new.
thx for answer anyway - now i know how to get extra settings page in
bios :)

greets

TRENDING THREADS