  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2005 7:17:41 AM

Hello again all:

I am having one hell of a time getting my GA-7N400 Pro 2 MBs to read my
Maxtor HDDs.

I have 3 of these boards and one works.

Gigabyte had the second board for 6 weeks and did not fix the issue.

The same issue exists with the third 7N400

IDE 1 will not recognize the HDDs . Seagate, or any drives for that matter

BIOS can't see them even with Gigabyte techs recommended settings and
advanced "Ctrl F1"

And, Maxblast does not recognize them either.

I've been on the phone with Gigabyte techs so much it's only making the
phone company richer.

(I'm running out of IDE cables and jumpers as well)

I get this at start up:

"Primary Master Hard Disk Failure" .

"Primary Slave Hard Disk Failure"

The first 7N400 I built worked beautifully (see config below).

(2) 80 GB Maxtors were set on cable select.

Loaded W2k and ran with it . absolutely no problems at all.

It's been on my LAN for about 9 months.

I thought, "Thank you sir, I'll have another!"

Tore apart my old Abit KD7 and formatted the 2 Maxtors to "unallocated"
using the "First System"

Yup, junked everything (have tons of backup CDs now)

My second attempt at repeating the Gigabyte system build is entering the
third month.

I have read more articles on line not related to this issue than I prefer to
disclose.

The articles assume you have an OS, can boot from a floppy, or can enter
MSDOS to fix things.

Somebody has got to know what the problem is.

Just for grins .

I placed both issue HDDs in my USB hot swap box and the first system reads
them in disk manager.

I switched the drives in the hot swap box to my Abit NF7S system and it
reads them as well.

So I know they can be read by a GA-7N400 pro 2 and even on an Abit system.

What is the issue with IDE 1 on the other 2 boards?

Gigabyte techs say it's the jumpers . Huh?

BTW . GigaRAID reads them . go figure.

Here is the configuration once again:

Ga-7N400 Pro 2

AMD XP 3200+

(4) Crucial PC 3200 512mb sticks

(2) 80 GB Maxtor 9 Plus (IDE 1) Tried cs and m,s settings

DVD (IDE 2) secondary/m (identified)

CDRW (IDE 2) secondary/s (identified)

VGA card

470w PSU

W2k sp4 (OEM disk)

Help! I'm fossilizing!

More about : 7n400 pro ide issue

April 30, 2005 2:30:26 PM

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 03:17:41 GMT, "HMGI" <res0uemb@verizon.net> wrote:

>Hello again all:
>

>I am having one hell of a time getting my GA-7N400 Pro 2 MBs to read my
>Maxtor HDDs.
>
>I have 3 of these boards and one works.
>
>Gigabyte had the second board for 6 weeks and did not fix the issue.
>
>The same issue exists with the third 7N400
>
>IDE 1 will not recognize the HDDs . Seagate, or any drives for that matter
>
>BIOS can't see them even with Gigabyte techs recommended settings and
>advanced "Ctrl F1"
>
>And, Maxblast does not recognize them either.
>
>I've been on the phone with Gigabyte techs so much it's only making the
>phone company richer.
>
>(I'm running out of IDE cables and jumpers as well)
>

>I get this at start up:
>
>"Primary Master Hard Disk Failure" .
>
>"Primary Slave Hard Disk Failure"
>

>The first 7N400 I built worked beautifully (see config below).
>
>(2) 80 GB Maxtors were set on cable select.
>
>Loaded W2k and ran with it . absolutely no problems at all.
>
>It's been on my LAN for about 9 months.
>
>I thought, "Thank you sir, I'll have another!"
>
>Tore apart my old Abit KD7 and formatted the 2 Maxtors to "unallocated"
>using the "First System"
>
>Yup, junked everything (have tons of backup CDs now)
>

>My second attempt at repeating the Gigabyte system build is entering the
>third month.
>
>I have read more articles on line not related to this issue than I prefer to
>disclose.
>
>The articles assume you have an OS, can boot from a floppy, or can enter
>MSDOS to fix things.
>
>Somebody has got to know what the problem is.
>

>Just for grins .
>
>I placed both issue HDDs in my USB hot swap box and the first system reads
>them in disk manager.
>
>I switched the drives in the hot swap box to my Abit NF7S system and it
>reads them as well.
>
>So I know they can be read by a GA-7N400 pro 2 and even on an Abit system.
>
>What is the issue with IDE 1 on the other 2 boards?
>
>Gigabyte techs say it's the jumpers . Huh?
>
>BTW . GigaRAID reads them . go figure.
>

>Here is the configuration once again:
>

>Ga-7N400 Pro 2
>
>AMD XP 3200+
>
>(4) Crucial PC 3200 512mb sticks
>
>(2) 80 GB Maxtor 9 Plus (IDE 1) Tried cs and m,s settings
>
>DVD (IDE 2) secondary/m (identified)
>
>CDRW (IDE 2) secondary/s (identified)
>
>VGA card
>
>470w PSU
>
>W2k sp4 (OEM disk)
>

>Help! I'm fossilizing!

Right, firstly, do you think you might get one of the drives
recognised if you connected it on it's own? Have you tried this?

Ian.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2005 2:39:58 PM

Ian:

Thanks again for responding ...
I have hooked up one drive at a time.
Even reversed the order, cs and m,s setups.
I'm baffled.

"Ian" <ioxley@lineone.net> wrote in message
news:D 0k671d0i9r7pbhhmg7n05b74etr2udk31@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 03:17:41 GMT, "HMGI" <res0uemb@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> >Hello again all:
> >

> >I am having one hell of a time getting my GA-7N400 Pro 2 MBs to read my
> >Maxtor HDDs.
> >
> >I have 3 of these boards and one works.
> >
> >Gigabyte had the second board for 6 weeks and did not fix the issue.
> >
> >The same issue exists with the third 7N400
> >
> >IDE 1 will not recognize the HDDs . Seagate, or any drives for that
matter

> >BIOS can't see them even with Gigabyte techs recommended settings and
> >advanced "Ctrl F1"
> >
> >And, Maxblast does not recognize them either.
> >
> >I've been on the phone with Gigabyte techs so much it's only making the
> >phone company richer.
> >
> >(I'm running out of IDE cables and jumpers as well)
> >

> >I get this at start up:
> >
> >"Primary Master Hard Disk Failure" .
> >
> >"Primary Slave Hard Disk Failure"
> >

> >The first 7N400 I built worked beautifully (see config below).
> >
> >(2) 80 GB Maxtors were set on cable select.
> >
> >Loaded W2k and ran with it . absolutely no problems at all.
> >
> >It's been on my LAN for about 9 months.
> >
> >I thought, "Thank you sir, I'll have another!"
> >
> >Tore apart my old Abit KD7 and formatted the 2 Maxtors to "unallocated"
> >using the "First System"
> >
> >Yup, junked everything (have tons of backup CDs now)
> >

> >My second attempt at repeating the Gigabyte system build is entering the
> >third month.
> >
> >I have read more articles on line not related to this issue than I prefer
> >disclose.
> >
> >The articles assume you have an OS, can boot from a floppy, or can enter
> >MSDOS to fix things.
> >
> >Somebody has got to know what the problem is.
> >

> >Just for grins .
> >
> >I placed both issue HDDs in my USB hot swap box and the first system
reads
> >them in disk manager.
> >
> >I switched the drives in the hot swap box to my Abit NF7S system and it
> >reads them as well.
> >
> >So I know they can be read by a GA-7N400 pro 2 and even on an Abit
system.

> >What is the issue with IDE 1 on the other 2 boards?
> >
> >Gigabyte techs say it's the jumpers . Huh?
> >
> >BTW . GigaRAID reads them . go figure.
> >

> >Here is the configuration once again:
> >

> >Ga-7N400 Pro 2
> >
> >AMD XP 3200+
> >
> >(4) Crucial PC 3200 512mb sticks
> >
> >(2) 80 GB Maxtor 9 Plus (IDE 1) Tried cs and m,s settings
> >
> >DVD (IDE 2) secondary/m (identified)
> >
> >CDRW (IDE 2) secondary/s (identified)
> >
> >VGA card
> >
> >470w PSU
> >
> >W2k sp4 (OEM disk)
> >

> >Help! I'm fossilizing!
> >

> Right, firstly, do you think you might get one of the drives
> recognised if you connected it on it's own? Have you tried this?
>
> Ian.
Related resources
April 30, 2005 8:08:12 PM

HMGI wrote:
> Ian:
>
> Don't feel bad ...my first system took 4 months to build ...
> I had absolutely no idea what I was doing .... lol
> That was 5 years ago ...
> NEways
> I have a Promise Technologies ATA133 UltraTX2 around here.
> Think I'll try it on PCI slot 3 as the graphics card covers PCI 1
>
> Geeze what a mess...

I don't feel bad, because I am a system building genius! LOL! :)  BUT - I
don't know the answer to your problem! :(  There is no logic to your Maxtor
problem at all. Good luck.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2005 9:46:43 PM

Ian:

Controller card read the drives, but W2k didn't want to go there.
Just ripped everything out and installed another board (Abit NF7S) + new PSU
plugged in the minimum memory, (1) HD, CDROM and turned it on ...
Long beep ....
I'm calling it a day.

Thanks anyway

"Ian" <ian@nospam.net> wrote in message
> HMGI wrote:
> > Ian:
> >
> > Don't feel bad ...my first system took 4 months to build ...
> > I had absolutely no idea what I was doing .... lol
> > That was 5 years ago ...
> > NEways
> > I have a Promise Technologies ATA133 UltraTX2 around here.
> > Think I'll try it on PCI slot 3 as the graphics card covers PCI 1
> >
> > Geeze what a mess...
>
> I don't feel bad, because I am a system building genius! LOL! :)  BUT - I
> don't know the answer to your problem! :(  There is no logic to your
Maxtor
> problem at all. Good luck.

April 30, 2005 10:50:50 PM

HMGI wrote:
> Ian:
>
> Controller card read the drives, but W2k didn't want to go there.
> Just ripped everything out and installed another board (Abit NF7S) +
> new PSU plugged in the minimum memory, (1) HD, CDROM and turned it on
> Long beep ....
> I'm calling it a day.

When you're down they kick you. Perhaps you should disable some of the
onboard IDE first. I know you shouldn't have to, but....
!