GA-7N400 Pro2 Rev 2.0 - CPU Speed with XP3200

My CPU is the Barton XP3200, I'm not interested in overclocking, just in
getting the CPU to run at the correct speed.

I've already RTFM, and hopefully understood correctly ... have set the
CLK_SW to OFF (i.e. 100MHz for FSB 200MHz CPU per the manual), and
CLK_RATIO to all ON (for 11x multiplier).

I'm expecting to see a clock speed of 2200 reported at POST, but instead
am seeing 1100.

I have also tried with the CLK_RATIO switchblock set to all OFF (for
AUTO), but see the same result.

I have tried the both the 100MHz and the 200MHz settings in BIOS, and
see the same result.

Is this something that is corrected by chipset drivers? Or must I do
something else? Or is the POST figure of 1100 erroneous? No OS on this
box as yet, so it's hard to cross-check at this stage.

All suggestions appreciated.

--Neil.

Ian

Neil Trotter wrote:
> My CPU is the Barton XP3200, I'm not interested in overclocking, just
> in getting the CPU to run at the correct speed.
>
> I've already RTFM, and hopefully understood correctly ... have set the
> CLK_SW to OFF (i.e. 100MHz for FSB 200MHz CPU per the manual), and
> CLK_RATIO to all ON (for 11x multiplier).
>
> I'm expecting to see a clock speed of 2200 reported at POST, but
> instead am seeing 1100.
>
> I have also tried with the CLK_RATIO switchblock set to all OFF (for
> AUTO), but see the same result.
>
> I have tried the both the 100MHz and the 200MHz settings in BIOS, and
> see the same result.
>
> Is this something that is corrected by chipset drivers? Or must I do
> something else? Or is the POST figure of 1100 erroneous? No OS on
> this box as yet, so it's hard to cross-check at this stage.
>
> All suggestions appreciated.
>

> --Neil.

You have set an 11x multiplier and a 100 FSB. Equals 1100. Don't ya need a
200 FSB? Or am I missing the point?

Neil Trotter wrote:

>CLK_SW CLK_RATIO
>------ ---------
>100 11x
>100 AUTO
>AUTO 11x
>AUTO AUTO
>
>and each time POST reports 1100 speed, but I will now retry all with a
>power-off reset just to be sure!

My XP2800@3200 runs at the following settings:

CLK_SW: Auto
CLK_RATIO: 11x

FSB: 200MHz (manually set in the BIOS, auto did'nt work)

To set the FSB manually You first have to Pusch Ctrl+F1 on the main
bios page, otherwise you will not have the option to do that.

PS: Sorry if my english is not the best ;)

--

bye
Heiko

In article <3djipcF6s48bjU1@individual.net>, Heiko Polig said:

> My XP2800@3200 runs at the following settings:
>
> CLK_SW: Auto
> CLK_RATIO: 11x
>
> FSB: 200MHz (manually set in the BIOS, auto did'nt work)
>
> To set the FSB manually You first have to Pusch Ctrl+F1 on the main
> bios page, otherwise you will not have the option to do that.

Thanks, Heiko -- I have not done the Ctrl-F1 thing yet, so I will give
that a try!

> PS: Sorry if my english is not the best ;)

Your English is better by far than that found in most motherboard
manuals :)

I have the same board & CPU. Set the CLK_SW to on (auto) and the CLK_RATIO
to either all off (auto) or all on (11X)
"Neil Trotter" <neil_trotter@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My CPU is the Barton XP3200, I'm not interested in overclocking, just in
> getting the CPU to run at the correct speed.
>
> I've already RTFM, and hopefully understood correctly ... have set the
> CLK_SW to OFF (i.e. 100MHz for FSB 200MHz CPU per the manual), and
> CLK_RATIO to all ON (for 11x multiplier).
>
> I'm expecting to see a clock speed of 2200 reported at POST, but instead
> am seeing 1100.
>
> I have also tried with the CLK_RATIO switchblock set to all OFF (for
> AUTO), but see the same result.
>
> I have tried the both the 100MHz and the 200MHz settings in BIOS, and
> see the same result.
>
> Is this something that is corrected by chipset drivers? Or must I do
> something else? Or is the POST figure of 1100 erroneous? No OS on this
> box as yet, so it's hard to cross-check at this stage.
>
> All suggestions appreciated.
>

> --Neil.

Let me restate the facts. My CPU is an AMD3200+/400fcb. That's why the
CLK_SW must be on not off.

In article <34qdnQ6Wsqg64-jfRVnyvw@giganews.com>, Rudy Kazuti said:

> Let me restate the facts. My CPU is an AMD3200+/400fcb. That's why the
> CLK_SW must be on not off.

Many thanks, Rudy :)

Got that -- and thanks also to Heiko, above, for similar advice -- I did
exactly what Heiko suggested, and it came up at the right speed at POST.

Had a whole lot more messing about with SATA to do (one on-board
controller SiI3512, one PCI add-in controller SiI3112), but now am up &
running with all 4 drives.

Thanks again, guys.

--Neil.

Neil Trotter <neil_trotter@hotmail.com> wrote in

> My CPU is the Barton XP3200, I'm not interested in overclocking, just
in
> getting the CPU to run at the correct speed.
>
> I've already RTFM, and hopefully understood correctly ... have set the
> CLK_SW to OFF (i.e. 100MHz for FSB 200MHz CPU per the manual), and
> CLK_RATIO to all ON (for 11x multiplier).
>
> I'm expecting to see a clock speed of 2200 reported at POST, but
instead
> am seeing 1100.
>
> I have also tried with the CLK_RATIO switchblock set to all OFF (for
> AUTO), but see the same result.
>
> I have tried the both the 100MHz and the 200MHz settings in BIOS, and
> see the same result.
>
> Is this something that is corrected by chipset drivers? Or must I do
> something else? Or is the POST figure of 1100 erroneous? No OS on
this
> box as yet, so it's hard to cross-check at this stage.
>
> All suggestions appreciated.
>

> --Neil.

well i am sure some1 else got this but i fig i'd point out a common
problem..
people confuse FSB and systembus

fsb is generated on your motherboard..either 100mhz (durons(other than
applebreds), and old thunderbirds..or the original socket A or 133, 166,
200

then passes thru your CPU applying a multiplier x9 x10 x12 whatever

then passes DOUBLED by the north bridge to your memory, in intel land it
is doubled again (so a 533=133fsb /266 ddr memory odd Eh?)

or so it always was but now they are calling dual memory controllers
doubled again

so an a64(s754) single controller dual channel.. 200x2(dual channel)x2
(ddr doubling) 800 system bus
on the dual mem controllers socket 939/940 double that again for system
bus of 1600mHz

the later being VERY misleading AKA very intel. as dual channel/dual
conttrollers do not add much umf to a AMD because it is not memory
starved like a Intel

now we venture into a good point on A64s the memory controller/fsb
generator is on the chip making(as i heard) x8 as fast..now we can just
call it faster because it does not have to be passed BACK thru the
northbridge and onto the memory then back to the CPU as needed
so from the A64 chip itself we have one "pipeline" going to the DDR
banks one to the AGP/PCI and one to the northbridge where as a socket A
or intel everything has to pass thru the northbridge

making it the only "real" change IMO since 'intel' told 'AMD' that you
cant make a 'socket'(as compared to a slotA) chip that fast and then
came the thunderbird socketA or maybe the change to DDR