SP2 stopped my DVD drive working

I installed SP2 a while back, before I went on holiday.
On returning, I noticed that my DVD writer (NEC ND-2510a)
refused to read DVDs or CDs; when I inserted a CD or DVD, for
about a minute after, no light was seen on the drive and no noise occured.

Only after about a minute was any noise heard or light occur. At each
stage, although I could move my mouse cursor, the system was unresponsive;
I couldn't bring up the task manager, activate buttons or use Windows
Explorer, for example.

The system only became responsive once I opened the drive using the
hardware button - though sometimes, the system froze entirely at this
point.

After playing around with the firmware with no results, I eventually decided
to uninstall SP2. Once I rebooted, the DVD writer worked straight away.

Has anyone else had the same experience? If so, is there a "safe" way to
apply SP2, without running into this problem again?

Thanks,

P.

thewizz

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2005

Paul,

If you find out what is going on let me know!!!! I have the same issue, CD
and DVD/CD-RW worked fine, installed SP2 now they won't work.

John