USB drive not in my computer. Fixed but why?

We recently had almost all of our computers stop seeing USB flash
drives under my computer. It was recognized by the computer and we
did change the drive letter assignment and that worked fine, but why
did this suddenly happen?

The USB drive was assigned drive E:, without the drive in there was no
network drive E shown, so why the conflict all of a sudden. We made
no changes that we can recall. Could it be a policy change, failed E:
network drive mapping? Any other thoughts?

Thanks.
Scott

Could be someone setting "map E:" for a single session, simple as that.
Now you set the trap. Next time the USB won't show up.