Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What to know before buying CF card?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
July 12, 2004 11:39:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I want to get a Compact Flash card for my Jornada 548. I know it needs to
be Type I. Is there anything else I need to take into account before I buy
something? Like: because of processor, speed, internal memory, etc., this
unit might not be able to handle something over a certain size, or access
speed, or ???

Ed

More about : buying card

Anonymous
July 12, 2004 7:57:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Ed" <Ed_Millis@NOSPAM.Hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o H9mp7BaEHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I want to get a Compact Flash card for my Jornada 548. I know it needs to
> be Type I. Is there anything else I need to take into account before I
buy
> something? Like: because of processor, speed, internal memory, etc., this
> unit might not be able to handle something over a certain size, or access
> speed, or ???
>
> Ed
>
>

There may be certain makes of cards that won't work in some machines. Get a
full money back guarantee or try before you buy if at a retail shop.
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 8:28:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On 12 Jul 2004, "Ed" <Ed_Millis@NOSPAM.Hotmail.com> wrote in
news:o H9mp7BaEHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

> I want to get a Compact Flash card for my Jornada 548. I know it
> needs to be Type I. Is there anything else I need to take into
> account before I buy something? Like: because of processor,
> speed, internal memory, etc., this unit might not be able to
> handle something over a certain size, or access speed, or ???

It's been a long time since I bought a CF for my Journada 567 and I
don't remember the issues - if any. But if it's any help I bought a
conventional Sandisk 512MB CF card and it worked very, very well -
never any problems with over 2 years hard use.
--
DG
- "Keep an open mind, not a blank one."
Related resources
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 3:51:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"dg" <g@s.net> wrote in message news:Xns9524EECF7763Bgzgzgz@216.168.3.30...
> On 12 Jul 2004, "Ed" <Ed_Millis@NOSPAM.Hotmail.com> wrote in
> news:o H9mp7BaEHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:
>
> > I want to get a Compact Flash card for my Jornada 548. I know it
> > needs to be Type I. Is there anything else I need to take into
> > account before I buy something? Like: because of processor,
> > speed, internal memory, etc., this unit might not be able to
> > handle something over a certain size, or access speed, or ???
>
> It's been a long time since I bought a CF for my Journada 567 and I
> don't remember the issues - if any. But if it's any help I bought a
> conventional Sandisk 512MB CF card and it worked very, very well -
> never any problems with over 2 years hard use.
> --
> DG
> -

but Sandisk has had posts saying that their CF have problems. I had one that
worked in some machines, but not in mine.
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 4:41:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Think the only consideration would be cost... the 54x series is slow
enough that the card speed will probably make little or no difference.

Have used CF cards since the days when 5mb capacities were too expensive
to consider and have about half a dozen from different mfg's and see no
differences.

HOWEVER, budget a CF reader for your PC (don't use activesync to
transfer files) and hit the web to assure that you have the latest
driver for the reader... don't rely on XP's default drivers.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
July 13, 2004 4:41:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thank you. I was looking at everything available, but I couldn't tell if it
was compatible or not.

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:o l4aqCQaEHA.2792@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
<snip>
> HOWEVER, budget a CF reader for your PC (don't use activesync to
> transfer files) and hit the web to assure that you have the latest
> driver for the reader... don't rely on XP's default drivers.

Thanks for that tip. And no need to worry about XP drivers - I'm still on
Win98! (My home PC may well pre-date my handheld!)

Until I get a reader, though, will ActiveSync give me problems? If so,
would I be able to just pop the card in and Explore and move files?

Ed
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 1:46:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>> Thanks for that tip. And no need to worry about XP drivers - I'm
still on Win98! (My home PC may well pre-date my handheld!) <<

Download the current drivers before installing the ones from the CD...
the CD versions are frequently out of date

>>Until I get a reader, though, will ActiveSync give me problems? If
so, would I be able to just pop the card in and Explore and move files? <<

YES! Please buy the reader _before_ you buy the card... many are as
little as $10

A card reader will have more impact on the use of the card than the card
itself.

With the reader attached, pop the card in and it shows as a new PC drive
and files will transfer with drag and drop a minimum of ten times faster
than via activesync.

In addition, you will probably not be able to copy any files larger than
15 meg via activesync without problems.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
July 14, 2004 11:08:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thanks in advance for all the problems I *won't* have! (Although I'm sure
I'll manage to create a few more! <g>)

Ed

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:upwcJzUaEHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> >> Thanks for that tip. And no need to worry about XP drivers - I'm
> still on Win98! (My home PC may well pre-date my handheld!) <<
>
> Download the current drivers before installing the ones from the CD...
> the CD versions are frequently out of date
>
> >>Until I get a reader, though, will ActiveSync give me problems? If
> so, would I be able to just pop the card in and Explore and move files? <<
>
> YES! Please buy the reader _before_ you buy the card... many are as
> little as $10
>
> A card reader will have more impact on the use of the card than the card
> itself.
>
> With the reader attached, pop the card in and it shows as a new PC drive
> and files will transfer with drag and drop a minimum of ten times faster
> than via activesync.
>
> In addition, you will probably not be able to copy any files larger than
> 15 meg via activesync without problems.
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
!