Need advice regarding CPU vs. RAM upgrade

Ryan

I am needing advice on a upgrade in which obviously, I can only afford to do
one instead of both.

Currently I have an Intel P4 2.26 533FSB, 512 cache.

I am torn between upgrading to P4 3.06 533FSB or adding 1 gig of RAM DDR333
(PC2700).

I already have 512MB, but would like to do either one. If you had a choice,
which would you do and why?

"ryan" <ryan@email.com> wrote...
> The system is actually new (2 mos to be exact). I will be running Word,
> Email, Web & Windows Media Player at the most.
>
> I'm just wondering if going up in processor or ram would benefit me in the
> long run.

For those uses, the CPU would probably help more. OTOH, neither will likely
help your web and e-mail work, since they are more dependent on your Internet
connection...

In article <e9iG$$Q9EHA.1408@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
ryan <ryan@email.com> wrote:
>I am needing advice on a upgrade in which obviously, I can only afford to do
>one instead of both.
>
>Currently I have an Intel P4 2.26 533FSB, 512 cache.
>
>I am torn between upgrading to P4 3.06 533FSB or adding 1 gig of RAM DDR333
>(PC2700).
>
>I already have 512MB, but would like to do either one. If you had a choice,
>which would you do and why?

If your application isn't hitting the pagefile with 512MB then adding
memory won't speed you up.

task manager will give you a rough idea how much memory your
applications are suning rignt now.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Ryan, if you are the same person who asked about the 512 MB RAM (I
installed (2) 256 modules DDR of ram into my Intel board. When I boot up, it
shows only 496 MB. Where did the 16MB go?) on the 6th, you should invest
in a better video card than the onboard one you have now. With this type of
system you should have at least a 4X AGP slot on the motherboard. Purchase
a decent video card with at least 128 MB RAM. This will have two effects.
1, it will free up all RAM currently installed and 2, it will give a great
video pathway with the best possible chips for speed.

"ryan" <ryan@email.com> wrote in message
> I am needing advice on a upgrade in which obviously, I can only afford to
do
> one instead of both.
>
> Currently I have an Intel P4 2.26 533FSB, 512 cache.
>
> I am torn between upgrading to P4 3.06 533FSB or adding 1 gig of RAM
DDR333
> (PC2700).
>
> I already have 512MB, but would like to do either one. If you had a
choice,
> which would you do and why?

bar

Building or tuning your PC and to optimise the hardware environment is like
tuning a motor car.

If one buys a V6 engine and standard wheels and tyres, standard suspension
how fast can it go in a straight line; and then how fast can it go round
corners. Getting better wheels and tyres will improve cornering speeds,
gettings sports suspension again gives cornering improvement. Hoever it is
no faster in a straight line. By adding a V8 engine or bolting on a
turbocharger, well striaght line speeds get better again. The thing is that
one can't go fast in a straight line and forget about cornering [unless
you're on a drag strip].

The same with the PC: tune it so that you get the best at every point. More
powerful AGP cards with loads of on board memory take a load off the system
memory and CPU. Benefitting screen refresh rates and colour depths - good
for gamers, movie watchers etc.

Additional on board memory [RAM] lowers the requirement for SWAP file
access, less CPU load achieveing nothing at the user interface. Good again
for Gamers, Video etc. It benefits a user with XP and running Word + Excel
not a bit!

So tune up and 'harmonise' the PC to your needs and not the 'rev' heads of
the PC world's idea as to how a fast PC should be made up.