USB 2.0 (two ports not working)

January 7, 2005 9:47:25 PM

Okay, I have a AMD 2400+, two 2.0 USB ports, seven 1.0 USB ports with two of
them in the front of computer. They all work except the two USB 2.0 ports.
I had this motherboard installed over a year ago or so and never really used
the 2.0 until now.

I run xp home, sp2 and all updates installed. The device manager shows
everything okay but only shows seven USB Root Hubs and at the bottom of USB
Bus controllers, it shows VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller but nothing
showing under it. Does this mean those two ports are not activated or just
dead.

Thanks for any help to get these two ports working.

Thanks
Mary

More about : usb ports working

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 4:37:50 AM

Mary wrote:
> Okay, I have a AMD 2400+, two 2.0 USB ports, seven 1.0 USB ports with two of
> them in the front of computer. They all work except the two USB 2.0 ports.
> I had this motherboard installed over a year ago or so and never really used
> the 2.0 until now.
>
> I run xp home, sp2 and all updates installed. The device manager shows
> everything okay but only shows seven USB Root Hubs and at the bottom of USB
> Bus controllers, it shows VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller but nothing
> showing under it. Does this mean those two ports are not activated or just
> dead.
>
> Thanks for any help to get these two ports working.
>
> Thanks
> Mary

If you go to Device Manager in the control panel (sub function under
system icon) and open Device Manager you will see USB 2.0. If you see
this the driver is installed correctly and ALL ports are 2.0 compatable.
They are also functional. The reason that the front two ports are not
working is that they are picked up by a header plug which is plugged
into the motherboard. The plug itself is either NOT plugged into the
board or plug is not compatable with the pin out on the board. The
reason that the ports on the back of your computer work is that they are
hard wired to the board itself. What mother board do you have?
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 4:37:51 AM

> system icon) and open Device Manager you will see USB 2.0.

Not true, you would see USB Enhanced Controller which is USB 2.0

--
William

"LKBOOP" <lkboop@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Mary wrote:
>> Okay, I have a AMD 2400+, two 2.0 USB ports, seven 1.0 USB ports with two
>> of them in the front of computer. They all work except the two USB 2.0
>> ports. I had this motherboard installed over a year ago or so and never
>> really used the 2.0 until now.
>>
>> I run xp home, sp2 and all updates installed. The device manager shows
>> everything okay but only shows seven USB Root Hubs and at the bottom of
>> USB Bus controllers, it shows VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller but
>> nothing showing under it. Does this mean those two ports are not
>> activated or just dead.
>>
>> Thanks for any help to get these two ports working.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mary
> If you go to Device Manager in the control panel (sub function under
> system icon) and open Device Manager you will see USB 2.0. If you see this
> the driver is installed correctly and ALL ports are 2.0 compatable. They
> are also functional. The reason that the front two ports are not working
> is that they are picked up by a header plug which is plugged into the
> motherboard. The plug itself is either NOT plugged into the board or plug
> is not compatable with the pin out on the board. The reason that the ports
> on the back of your computer work is that they are hard wired to the board
> itself. What mother board do you have?
Related resources
January 8, 2005 4:37:52 AM

The motherboard is a VIA Tech., Inc. KT400-8235. I should have explained
this a little better than I did. The seven 1.0 USB ports are two in the
front and five in the back of computer. The two 2.0 USB ports are at the
lowest part of the back of computer. So this is a total of 9 ports.

All the 1.0 ports work. The device manager shows everything working, no
yellow marks. It does say USB Enhanced Controller.

The two USB 2.0 ports do not work. Thanks again for the help.

Mary

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> system icon) and open Device Manager you will see USB 2.0.
>
> Not true, you would see USB Enhanced Controller which is USB 2.0
>
> --
> William
>

> "LKBOOP" <lkboop@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> Mary wrote:
>>> Okay, I have a AMD 2400+, two 2.0 USB ports, seven 1.0 USB ports with
>>> two of them in the front of computer. They all work except the two USB
>>> 2.0 ports. I had this motherboard installed over a year ago or so and
>>> never really used the 2.0 until now.
>>>
>>> I run xp home, sp2 and all updates installed. The device manager shows
>>> everything okay but only shows seven USB Root Hubs and at the bottom of
>>> USB Bus controllers, it shows VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller but
>>> nothing showing under it. Does this mean those two ports are not
>>> activated or just dead.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help to get these two ports working.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Mary
>> If you go to Device Manager in the control panel (sub function under
>> system icon) and open Device Manager you will see USB 2.0. If you see
>> this the driver is installed correctly and ALL ports are 2.0 compatable.
>> They are also functional. The reason that the front two ports are not
>> working is that they are picked up by a header plug which is plugged into
>> the motherboard. The plug itself is either NOT plugged into the board or
>> plug is not compatable with the pin out on the board. The reason that the
>> ports on the back of your computer work is that they are hard wired to
>> the board itself. What mother board do you have?

January 9, 2005 1:35:28 PM

Anything I can do before taking the computer into PC place for fixing?

Thanks
Mary

"Mary" <absolutelymary@hotmail.calm> wrote in message
news:o MC9$RT9EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> The motherboard is a VIA Tech., Inc. KT400-8235. I should have explained
> this a little better than I did. The seven 1.0 USB ports are two in the
> front and five in the back of computer. The two 2.0 USB ports are at the
> lowest part of the back of computer. So this is a total of 9 ports.
>
> All the 1.0 ports work. The device manager shows everything working, no
> yellow marks. It does say USB Enhanced Controller.
>
> The two USB 2.0 ports do not work. Thanks again for the help.
>
> Mary
>

> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> system icon) and open Device Manager you will see USB 2.0.
>>
>> Not true, you would see USB Enhanced Controller which is USB 2.0
>>
>> --
>> William
>>

>> "LKBOOP" <lkboop@pacbell.net> wrote in message

>>> If you go to Device Manager in the control panel (sub function under
>>> system icon) and open Device Manager you will see USB 2.0. If you see
>>> this the driver is installed correctly and ALL ports are 2.0 compatable.
>>> They are also functional. The reason that the front two ports are not
>>> working is that they are picked up by a header plug which is plugged
>>> into the motherboard. The plug itself is either NOT plugged into the
>>> board or plug is not compatable with the pin out on the board. The
>>> reason that the ports on the back of your computer work is that they are
>>> hard wired to the board itself. What mother board do you have?

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 2:17:38 PM

You can try uninstalling the enhanced USB controller in Device Manger, then
reboot and let XP reinstall and see if it works.

--
William

> Anything I can do before taking the computer into PC place for fixing?
>
> Thanks
> Mary
>
> "Mary" <absolutelymary@hotmail.calm> wrote in message
> news:o MC9$RT9EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> The motherboard is a VIA Tech., Inc. KT400-8235. I should have
>> explained this a little better than I did. The seven 1.0 USB ports are
>> two in the front and five in the back of computer. The two 2.0 USB ports
>> are at the lowest part of the back of computer. So this is a total of 9
>> ports.
>>
>> All the 1.0 ports work. The device manager shows everything working, no
>> yellow marks. It does say USB Enhanced Controller.
>>
>> The two USB 2.0 ports do not work. Thanks again for the help.
>>
>> Mary
>>

>> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Not true, you would see USB Enhanced Controller which is USB 2.0
>>>
>>> --
>>> William
>>>

>>> "LKBOOP" <lkboop@pacbell.net> wrote in message

January 9, 2005 11:26:11 PM

Thanks William, I did try that but it would install again before I could
reboot. It was that fast!!

> You can try uninstalling the enhanced USB controller in Device Manger,
> then reboot and let XP reinstall and see if it works.
>
> --
> William
>

> "Mary" <absolutelymary@hotmail.calm> wrote in message
>> Anything I can do before taking the computer into PC place for fixing?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mary
>>
>> "Mary" <absolutelymary@hotmail.calm> wrote in message
>> news:o MC9$RT9EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> The motherboard is a VIA Tech., Inc. KT400-8235. I should have
>>> explained this a little better than I did. The seven 1.0 USB ports are
>>> two in the front and five in the back of computer. The two 2.0 USB
>>> ports are at the lowest part of the back of computer. So this is a
>>> total of 9 ports.
>>>
>>> All the 1.0 ports work. The device manager shows everything working, no
>>> yellow marks. It does say USB Enhanced Controller.
>>>
>>> The two USB 2.0 ports do not work. Thanks again for the help.
>>>
>>> Mary
>>>

>>> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 12:05:01 PM

Are the "ports" actually attached to the motherboard inside the case?

Mary wrote:

> Thanks William, I did try that but it would install again before I could
> reboot. It was that fast!!
>
> Mary
>
> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>You can try uninstalling the enhanced USB controller in Device Manger,
>>then reboot and let XP reinstall and see if it works.
>>
>>--
>>William
>>

>>"Mary" <absolutelymary@hotmail.calm> wrote in message
>>
>>> Anything I can do before taking the computer into PC place for fixing?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Mary
>>>
>>>"Mary" <absolutelymary@hotmail.calm> wrote in message
>>>news:o MC9$RT9EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

January 10, 2005 2:52:39 PM

Hmmm, guess that could be the problem but why would the USB Enhanced
Controller show up under Device Manager if it was unplugged?

Mary

> Are the "ports" actually attached to the motherboard inside the case?
>
> Mary wrote:
>
>> Thanks William, I did try that but it would install again before I could
>> reboot. It was that fast!!
>>
>> Mary
>>
>> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>You can try uninstalling the enhanced USB controller in Device Manger,
>>>then reboot and let XP reinstall and see if it works.
>>>
>>>--
>>>William
>>>

>>>"Mary" <absolutelymary@hotmail.calm> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 3:31:34 AM

Think of the connection on the case as simply an extension cord, e.g. the
connection on the mb is still there and probably has "power"

"Mary" <absolutelymary@hotmail.calm> wrote in message
news:o bOcp0z9EHA.220@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hmmm, guess that could be the problem but why would the USB Enhanced
> Controller show up under Device Manager if it was unplugged?
>
> Mary
>
> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Are the "ports" actually attached to the motherboard inside the case?
>>
>> Mary wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks William, I did try that but it would install again before I could
>>> reboot. It was that fast!!
>>>
>>> Mary
>>>
>>> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 12, 2005 5:22:05 PM

Think about this question.

Does the shirt I'm wearing go with these pants?

Unless the "ports" are connected to the controller then they won't work.
It sounds like you have ports all over the place. Unless you chack all
the possiblities you won't find the problem. We can see your system or
fix it, only make suggestions.

Mary wrote:

> Hmmm, guess that could be the problem but why would the USB Enhanced
> Controller show up under Device Manager if it was unplugged?
>
> Mary
>
> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Are the "ports" actually attached to the motherboard inside the case?
>>
>>Mary wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks William, I did try that but it would install again before I could
>>>reboot. It was that fast!!
>>>
>>>Mary
>>>
>>>"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 12, 2005 7:01:27 PM

Do you have a USB Mouse or keyboard? If so try plugging them in all the USB
ports and see if the keyboard or mouse works. This will confirm if the ports
are actually attached to the Motherboard properly.

--
William

> Thanks William, I did try that but it would install again before I could
> reboot. It was that fast!!
>
> Mary
>
> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> You can try uninstalling the enhanced USB controller in Device Manger,
>> then reboot and let XP reinstall and see if it works.
>>
>> --
>> William
>>

>> "Mary" <absolutelymary@hotmail.calm> wrote in message
>>> Anything I can do before taking the computer into PC place for fixing?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Mary
>>>
>>> "Mary" <absolutelymary@hotmail.calm> wrote in message
>>> news:o MC9$RT9EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

January 12, 2005 8:54:44 PM

Thanks for that explanation. My son, in a couple of weeks, is bringing a
new mb/new processor so will have him check those ports. Yes I do have
ports all over the place, lol. In the meantime, guess I will use the 1.0
ones.

Mary

!