problem with GA-7S748-L BIOS

Hi,
I bought a GA-7S748-L mobo and a Sempron 2400 to upgrade my sons PC. It
worked ok at first but kept freezing. Checked it out and noticed that the
chip was running hot - 67C at startup - and that the system froze once it
got over 70C. Checked the BIOS and was running with F4. Looked up the
Gigabyte site and noticed that F7 was required for Sempron. Used the @BIOS
utility to flash the BIOS to F8 (the latest release). System starts up ok
into the BIOS and the temperature is down at 40C so it looked like all was
ok but then Windows wouldn't boot. Tried various things but no luck so
decided to recover the BIOS from floppy using Q-Flash.

Disaster -
Q-Flash reads the BIOS from the floppy ok but then shows a message "Erasing
BIOS Now - do not power off or RESET" and just sits there. After waiting
hours (really) I finally reset the system. It still boots ok back into the
BIOS but won't boot Windows - in fact, it's not looking for a boot device at
all and refuses to boot from CD or floppy. I've sent a note to Gigabyte but
after over a week my note is still unprocessed. Any ideas welcome.

I have the same problem going from F5 to F8 and have emailed Gigabyte.
Anyone have an answer yet?

"robert sideserf" wrote:
> I have the same problem going from F5 to F8 and have emailed
> Gigabyte.
> Anyone have an answer yet?

Here is your Fix... Same exact thing happen to me, after rebooting
from the F8 BIOS update it would freeze just prior to POST.

on a spare PC, get the F7 or F9a beta here at thier site
http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-7S748-L_More.htm

extract only the bios file (I used the F9a Beta file 7S748.F9a) to a
formatted floppy and boot your PC, hit Del to enter the BIOS Setup, at
the bottom you will see the option to access the Q-Flash (users guide
http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Support/BIOS/HowToReflash/pdf/flashbios_qflash.pdf
)
Follow the prompts to flash your BIOS.

This should do the trick, AVOID F8. DO NO RUN the @BIOS application
until F9 becomes full production.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigabyte-problem-GA-7S748-BIOS-ftopict55405.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=283302

Thanks for the tip.

I was unable to use Q-Flash from BIOS as it hung on the update. By
disabling USB I was able to boot to diskette and run the F9a update
using the flash885 utility that comes with it.

Adi

"robert sideserf" wrote:
> Thanks for the tip.
>
> I was unable to use Q-Flash from BIOS as it hung on the
> update. By
> disabling USB I was able to boot to diskette and run the F9a
> update
> using the flash885 utility that comes with it.

hey,
i have this problem and i try to do what u say, but whan i trying to
run the f8 or the f9 files in the q flash it stops in the screen
"erasing bios now" i wait a few houres but this is stuk and doesn’t
moveing u can help me :?:

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigabyte-problem-GA-7S748-BIOS-ftopict55405.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=285902

"adi" wrote:
> hey,
> i have this problem and i try to do what u say, but whan i
> trying to run the f8 or the f9 files in the q flash it stops
> in the screen "erasing bios now" i wait a few houres but this
> is stuk and doesn't moveing u can help me :?:

HI, I have the same problem here, I upgraded to F8 from F6, and now my
CPU wont boot, and doesnt even read boot ups. I tried updating it
again thru BIOS by qflash to F5, and then load the LOAD FAIL SAFE, but
still the bios is still F8 version, Is there any ways to reflash the
bios, because I cant change the F8 version to any other (I tried F9a
anf F5) but still F8 wont change.
Please help..

I have the same problem, i’ve been looking everywhere on the web to
see why my computer would not boot. I had no idea it had anything to
do with the bios, it seemed to boot right after i updated the bios.
Right now the erasing bios now is frozen, is it safe to restart my
computer and put only the bios file on the floppy?

update:>"I was unable to use Q-Flash from BIOS as it hung on the

Stephen Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
> I bought a GA-7S748-L mobo and a Sempron 2400 to upgrade my sons PC.
> It worked ok at first but kept freezing. Checked it out and noticed
> that the chip was running hot - 67C at startup - and that the system
> froze once it got over 70C. Checked the BIOS and was running with
> F4. Looked up the Gigabyte site and noticed that F7 was required for
> Sempron. Used the @BIOS utility to flash the BIOS to F8 (the latest
> release). System starts up ok into the BIOS and the temperature is
> down at 40C so it looked like all was ok but then Windows wouldn't
> boot. Tried various things but no luck so decided to recover the
> BIOS from floppy using Q-Flash.
>
> Disaster -
> Q-Flash reads the BIOS from the floppy ok but then shows a message
> "Erasing BIOS Now - do not power off or RESET" and just sits there.
> After waiting hours (really) I finally reset the system. It still
> boots ok back into the BIOS but won't boot Windows - in fact, it's
> not looking for a boot device at all and refuses to boot from CD or
> floppy. I've sent a note to Gigabyte but after over a week my note
> is still unprocessed. Any ideas welcome.
Hi guys
Have a look at a program called uniflash http://www.uniflash.org/. I
havent used it with this particular board but I fixed a friends Gigabyte
board recently that he had stuffed while trying to flash
the bios using the standard program
Denis.