Prevent use Flash disk

Hi,
I need to prevent users from access flash disk or mass storage devices.
can any one help
Ahmed
4 answers Last reply
More about prevent flash disk

    You do not indicate if you have many users on one PC or network users for
    whom access is to be restricted.

    If it is a single PC with many users, the easiest way to prevent disk or
    folder access,is that one should use password protection.

    It may also be a method to use security policies in User Groups to set
    access rights etc. if you understand what is going on.

    If network users are those for whom access is to be restricted, then make
    sure that 'sharing' is not enabled on a device or folder.

    "Ahmed" <Ahmed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I need to prevent users from access flash disk or mass storage devices.
    > can any one help
    > Ahmed
    Do you mean you do not want users to plug flash disk or mass storage devices
    into the computer? If so, the only way is to remove the USB ports/sockets,
    because if the users are students there is no way you will stop them without
    doing that.

    They are students.
    All the tablet PC's have the same software.
    I tried the GP . it prevents the user to login using the Windows Explorer
    ..But they log to the flash from the wizard which appear when connect the
    flash and select ( view pictures ) so they can log.
    I discovered that the flash disk depened on the file usbstor.inf when I
    removed the file the system couldn't intall the flash but if the flash
    already iunstalled it doesn't make a difference.
    driver of the flash disk named (usbstor.sys and disk.sys and parmgr.sys )
    These files are protected by WFP. I removed them from both dllcatche and
    drivers but still protected.If we could stop them then we succedded in
    stoping the using the flash disk without affecting using USB keyboard.
    Ahmed

    "Tricia" wrote:

    > "Ahmed" <Ahmed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I need to prevent users from access flash disk or mass storage devices.
    > > can any one help
    > > Ahmed
    > Do you mean you do not want users to plug flash disk or mass storage devices
    > into the computer? If so, the only way is to remove the USB ports/sockets,
    > because if the users are students there is no way you will stop them without
    > doing that.

    Seems to me that if you ran TweakIU and "disabled" viewing the drive
    letters, you would slow them down a bit. :-) Or replacing the
    "usbstor.inf" with a bogus one (edit the contents) for all locations.

    Ahmed wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I need to prevent users from access flash disk or mass storage devices.
    > can any one help
    > Ahmed

Hardware Flash Storage Microsoft Devices Windows XP