renaming drive letters

I have 2 hard drives installed (c,d) a dvd/cd rw (e) and a dvd rw (f). I
would like to change the drive letters of the two writers so that the cd rw
is f and the dvd rw is e , Is this possible, if so how do i do it and will
it affect the performance of the drives. Many thanks
zel

zeldaber wrote:
> I have 2 hard drives installed (c,d) a dvd/cd rw (e) and a dvd rw (f). I
> would like to change the drive letters of the two writers so that the cd rw
> is f and the dvd rw is e , Is this possible, if so how do i do it and will
> it affect the performance of the drives. Many thanks
> zel

Right-click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management > right-click
the desired drive/partition > Change Drive letter and paths....

You cannot re-assign a drive letter that is already in use, so
relabel the DVD drive as F: or higher first, then relabel your 2nd hard
disk as D:. You can then relabel the DVD drive as E:, if desired.

Personally, I always assign my CD/DVD drives letters far enough
down the alphabet to keep them from interfering with the lettering of my
often changing hard drive partitions. For instances, I usually label
CD/DVD-ROM drives as R: (for Read-Only), CDR/CDRWs as W: (for Writable),
and Zip drives as Z: (for the obvious). This lettering system is, of
course, not necessary; it's purely a matter of personal preference.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Go to start menu > programs > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.
Then Select 'Disk Management' right click the drive and select Change Drive
Letters and paths
and the rest is self explanatry

Gary