Mapped drive wont backup?

Im trying to run a backup of a few computers on my home LAN to a external
drive on my main computer.

I mapped another computers drive to Z on my computer.

Norton Ghost only sees the main computer local drives.
Also the Windows backup utility does not see the mapped drive or any network
drives for that matter.
Windows explorer does see the mapped drive correctly as Z.

What do I need to do to back up network files on my small home LAN to one
drive on the main computer?

Any tips appreciated.

thanks !

bar

If you want to backup all the files within a Folder, then try using a simple
'copy and paste' process.

If you want to backup many folders then use Windows Backup, however it
cannot backup any files that are in use by other applications.

To get a fully automated process and choose incremntal backup as well, then
buy a good application from the likes of Veritas [Backup exec].

"jtsnow" wrote:

> Im trying to run a backup of a few computers on my home LAN to a external
> drive on my main computer.
>
> I mapped another computers drive to Z on my computer.
>
> Norton Ghost only sees the main computer local drives.
> Also the Windows backup utility does not see the mapped drive or any network
> drives for that matter.
> Windows explorer does see the mapped drive correctly as Z.
>
> What do I need to do to back up network files on my small home LAN to one
> drive on the main computer?
>
> Any tips appreciated.
>
> thanks !

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Windows backup will not let you select a network drive as the source to be
backed up, but it will let you use a mapped drive as the target. In other
words, on the computer you are actually backing up map the target drive and
run ntbackup.exe on that source computer. It should let you select the
mapped driver as the target. (I'm not sure about the Ghost issue. I use
Disk Image which I know works a bit differently from Ghost in terms of
network functionality.)