gigabyte 8iexp and memory mix!

Hi
I have this motherboard (ver 1.2) and are currently installed 2 ddr
sticks (1x128mb and 1x256mb) both ddr2100.
Now i would like to add another stick but i can't find sticks at
266(2100) but obly ddr3200(400).
My question is:if i install a 512mb ddr-400 stick will it work with the
other sticks at 266???

Thank you very much!

ps:i don't care if the new stick doesn't work at 400MHz.I just want it
to work at 266.

"geocha" <geocha@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
> Hi
> I have this motherboard (ver 1.2) and are currently installed 2 ddr
> sticks (1x128mb and 1x256mb) both ddr2100.
> Now i would like to add another stick but i can't find sticks at
> 266(2100) but obly ddr3200(400).
> My question is:if i install a 512mb ddr-400 stick will it work with the
> other sticks at 266???

Generally, DDR 3200 is backward compatible to 2100 but your mobo must "like"
the ram stick/chips. Best thing is test it b4 buying.

--

Avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0520-4, 20/05/2005

Steve K wrote:
> "geocha" <geocha@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
>
>>Hi
>>I have this motherboard (ver 1.2) and are currently installed 2 ddr
>>sticks (1x128mb and 1x256mb) both ddr2100.
>>Now i would like to add another stick but i can't find sticks at
>>266(2100) but obly ddr3200(400).
>>My question is:if i install a 512mb ddr-400 stick will it work with the
>>other sticks at 266???
>>

> Generally, DDR 3200 is backward compatible to 2100 but your mobo must "like"
> the ram stick/chips. Best thing is test it b4 buying.

OK thanks a lot!
If i remove the old ram the new one will work with no problems?

> Steve K wrote:
>> "geocha" <geocha@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
>>
>>> Hi
>>> I have this motherboard (ver 1.2) and are currently installed 2 ddr
>>> sticks (1x128mb and 1x256mb) both ddr2100.
>>> Now i would like to add another stick but i can't find sticks at
>>> 266(2100) but obly ddr3200(400).
>>> My question is:if i install a 512mb ddr-400 stick will it work with the
>>> other sticks at 266???
>>>

>> Generally, DDR 3200 is backward compatible to 2100 but your mobo must
>> "like" the ram stick/chips. Best thing is test it b4 buying.
>>

> OK thanks a lot!
> If i remove the old ram the new one will work with no problems?

find a dealer who test the module in your system before u buy it!

--

Avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0520-4, 20/05/2005
Tested on: 22/05/2005 9:10:39 AM

On Fri, 20 May 2005 20:21:32 GMT, geocha <geocha@aliceposta.it>
wrote:

>Hi
>I have this motherboard (ver 1.2) and are currently installed 2 ddr
>sticks (1x128mb and 1x256mb) both ddr2100.
>Now i would like to add another stick but i can't find sticks at
>266(2100) but obly ddr3200(400).
>My question is:if i install a 512mb ddr-400 stick will it work with the
>other sticks at 266???
>
>Thank you very much!
>
>ps:i don't care if the new stick doesn't work at 400MHz.I just want it
>to work at 266.

I use Samsung 512MB ECC PC2700 at 266MHz in an 8iexp v1.2 with no
problem except it runs at CL=2.5 regardless of the BIOS setting.
I presume it is using the SPD CL data instead of the BIOS setting.
If that is true, PC3200 might work slower than PC2100 in an 8iexp.

You can find PC2100 suppliers on http://www.pricewatch.com/.
Look for Memory - System - PC2100 DDR 512MB there. Also see
http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.asp?family=DDR&tabid=DDR+PC2100.
My previous experience with Crucial has been good. They have a
lifetime warranty and a 30-day money-back compatibility guarantee.

You can be very confident that non-generic memory from a good
supplier will work, or can be exchanged if it does not work. You
can check suppliers' reviews at http://www.resellerratings.com/.

Russell May