DNGRBOY

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2003
I am getting ready to switch from DSL to Cable. I would rather stay with DSL, but I can get a faster connection for less money.....SO!!!

My question, rather than rent a cable modem from the cable company I am just going to purchase my own. I am leaning heavily toward the Motorola 4200. Anyone had any experience with this modem? Is there something better out there?

Give me some actual experienced feedback, not what you think, what you know.

Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dngrboy on 02/24/03 04:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mattg1000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
usually its cheaper just to rent the cable modem...that way you aren't stuck with the equipment if the company changes standards or you decide to switch to another technology other than DSL or Cable...

Besides...whatever they give you will be capped anyway so it really doesn't matter. You will never ever get the full bandwidth capable on a Motorola or any modem (I thinks its around 10-22 mbps). Normally its something like 1.5 mbps down and 128 or 256 kbps up.

rook

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
If you plan to keep it for more than 6 months it is cheaper to buy the modem. My cable company charges $15 a month, and you can buy one for around $70. Any brand should work (Motorolla, Linksys, D-Link, ect.) There is an American standard that cable companys should follow. But I would check with you provider first.

"Quotes are for people that can't think for themselves"

piasabird

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
I have been using a Motorola Surfboard cable modem. It works just fine. For the cable modem some models have USB and some do not. I think it works better with a NIC card. I have a surfboard 4200 and a Linksys Router and I am running 3 PC's off of the cable modem. Motorola was working on a Gateway device with a wireless access point and a router and the cable modem all wrapped up into one package. I have never seen one of these, so I can not comment on that. Since Motorola also makes servers form the cable companies, their equipment should be pretty good.

when you see smoke is that a good sign?