Closed

Windows 7: Hard Drives Disappear after Sleep Resume

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2009 9:48:25 PM

I installed Windows 7 x64 on my HTPC and have found that after resuming from S3 sleep, my media drive (1TB WD 10EACS) is missing. The drive is not seen in Disk Management and is not discovered when I scan for new hardware. The only way to get the hard drive back is to reboot. Power and data cables are secure. This exact build did not have this issue when running Vista. Win7 is the only change. If I enter S3 and then immediately wake the system the HDD is still there. The problem seems to occur when the HTPC is in standby for a longer period... like overnight.

This is on a GA-MA69GM-S2H motherboard with the SB600 SATA controller running the latest drivers in AHCI mode. I switched to IDE mode and the problem has not occurred for two days. (/crosses fingers)

This is a critical flaw for HTPC use since S3 sleep is a must. My HTPC missed several TV recordings because when it woke up my media drive was gone and I'd like to prevent this from happening again. (This really reduces the WAF!)

I posted on the TechNet forum with others having the same problem here: HDD not waking from sleep Windows 7 RTM?

I thought I'd open the topic for discussion here at Tom's since the forum here is more robust. Anyone else observing this behavior in Windows 7? Does anyone know of a fix for AHCI mode?

Please share your stories/experiences.

More about : windows hard drives disappear sleep resume

November 1, 2009 2:57:02 AM

The AHCI driver that Win7 installed on my system caused a BSOD when resuming from sleep. I had erroneously assumed that a board that old would have been completely and correctly supported. My problems were fixed by letting the chipset update install a different AHCI driver.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2009 2:40:24 PM

I booted once to find no cd/dvd rom drives, both were missing, its running on the jmicron controller on a p5bdl. Sata drives are in RAID off the ich7r

Only happened once so far (but only booted 10/12time? i've seen it in vista too, but only once or twice.
Score
Related resources
November 1, 2009 5:56:21 PM

I am also witnessing this, with a 1TB drive as well. ONLY my 1TB drive. I have two other 320GB drives and a DVD drive that this does not happen to.

Just googled it to try to find an answer, and came to your post

This was also happening with the Win7x64 RC. I was really hoping it was an RC bug, and that the final would fix it. But it has not. My experience is EXACTLY as you have written. If you wake it up after a short period, the drive will be there. Longer period, no.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2009 11:49:57 PM

kody said:
I am also witnessing this, with a 1TB drive as well. ONLY my 1TB drive. I have two other 320GB drives and a DVD drive that this does not happen to.

Just googled it to try to find an answer, and came to your post

This was also happening with the Win7x64 RC. I was really hoping it was an RC bug, and that the final would fix it. But it has not. My experience is EXACTLY as you have written. If you wake it up after a short period, the drive will be there. Longer period, no.

Have you tried IDE mode?

So far, I haven't seen the problem with IDE mode but I really do need the AHCI hot-swap feature as I run an eSATA port from the onboard SATA controller and it's a pain to not have that enabled.
Score
November 4, 2009 12:31:43 AM

I too have this exact issue, and it too is my media drive... This is on Windows 7 final (not RC)

I have five(!) drives:
System: Seagate 320GB
Music: Seagate 500 GB
Keep: Seagate 1TB
Recordings: WD 1TB ** This is the one that disappears **
Storage: WD 1TB ** This one seems to have a bad controller - I'm still diagnosing it **

So it isn't the fact it is a 1TB drive. Maybe that it is a Western Digital drive???

My next attempt will be to set the Hard Drives to sleep 1 minute before the computer goes to suspend...
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 4, 2009 7:07:15 AM

anyone else seeing dvdrom drives dissappearing?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 4, 2009 2:44:57 PM

I took another look into device manager and noticed that my SATA controller actually was not using the ATI driver, but rather the default Windows 7 driver. Last night I switched back to AHCI mode and manually installed the ATI driver (I had to use an older RAID driver from the motherboard website). I put my HTPC to sleep last night.

This morning I brought it out of S3 and my media drive was still there. So possibly this is a problem with the Windows 7 SATA driver?

Posters having the same problem- check what driver your SATA controller is using. I was certain I had installed the latest ATI driver when I installed the chipset drivers. Perhaps the Windows 7 SATA driver is given higher priority.

13thmonkey- my BD drive is on the same SATA controller but it's never disappeared on me.

Score
November 4, 2009 10:54:19 PM

I had a SATA HDD that would disappear after waking from S3. This problem started with a clean install of Windows 7 and a switch to AHCI. It would reappear if I rebooted or did another S3 cycle. Very repeatable. I fixed it by installing and running Intel Matrix Storage Manager from here: http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/

System Description
EVGA x58 SLI
Sapphire Vapor-X 4890
Processor Intel Core i7 920 DO
WD Velociraptor 300GB System Drive
2 Samsung 1Tb 720 HD Data Drives
LG CH08LS10K 8X SATA Blu-Ray Combo
2 SAMSUNG SH-S223 22X SATA DVD
G.SKILL Trident DDR3 2000 6GB
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 5, 2009 2:30:10 PM

2nd night in a row and the hard drive has not disappeared.

Based on my experience and dsk98 it seems the SATA driver that ships with Windows 7 has a bug in it that is the root cause of this problem.
Score
November 17, 2009 3:10:55 AM

I'm having the exact same problem as you guys: one of my media drives disappears after resuming from standby. I've tried changing its SATA port, swapping its SATA port with with the port of one of the working drives, etc. Same problem, as if the problem is with that particular HDD and not the ports or anything. It's a Seagate 500Gig drive, (too lazy to go fetch the model number).

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit from an official disc (not a RC), and when I installed it I never installed any Motherboard drivers since everything worked fine right away. It detected all my motherboard components and they're working fine. Perhaps it'll fix the issue if I manually install my Asus SATA drivers? I'm going to give it a try.
Score
December 3, 2009 1:03:20 AM

I have the exact same problem - Win7 ultimate. My primary (C:)  drive is a 160GB Intel SSD, my secondary (D:)  is a 2TB WD GreenDrive. Occasionally after coming back from sleep the D: drive disappears until I reboot again.

I really don't want to install the Intel Matrix drivers, because trim isn't supported in them for my SSD. Does anybody have any other fixes (other than perhaps disabling S3 sleep)?
Score
December 21, 2009 2:35:06 PM

Same problem with W7 x64 Pro.

How do I switch from AHCI to IDE mode?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
December 21, 2009 3:19:04 PM

You go into the BIOS and change the controller from AHCI to IDE. Getting into your BIOS is different from motherboard to motherboard but you usually have to press <delete> during bootup or some F-key. Check your user manual if you can't figure it out.
Score
December 21, 2009 3:20:49 PM

That's what I needed to know. THANKS!
Score
December 22, 2009 8:56:00 AM

Hi
I thought once drives were installed in AHCI it was not possible to switch back to IDE...

I've got exactly the same problem
It is using it as a second drive where it will not wake up. ( I keep programs on C: and all data on E:) 

Samsung HD103UJ 1TB Drive
Asus M4A79XTD EVO Motherboard, I'm sure is not the problem
I've tried Maxtor Maxline II 250GB and Hitachi 0A34515 500Gb on the system without any other changes and they work fine.

I'll try using IDE and see if the works.

As the common factor seems to be 1TB Drives, Win 7 , I think there must be a bug in Win& SATA Driver

ttfn
Derek
Score
a b $ Windows 7
December 22, 2009 2:27:50 PM

You can go AHCI->IDE without any trouble. Going from IDE->AHCI is only possible if you jump through some hoops.
Score
December 26, 2009 3:28:38 PM

I have the same problem: G45 motherboard, Windows 7 64bit, 1 OCZ Vertex SSD (OS), 1 WD 1TB Green HDD (Data). I use the Microsoft AHCI drivers because the Intel ones do not pass TRIM commands to the SDD. The WD HDD disappears resuming from S3 standby.

I tried to go from AHCI to IDE in the BIOS settings but the system fails to boot.
How to do go from AHCI to IDE without reinstalling the OS?
Score
January 15, 2010 3:31:28 PM

Same problem here. I have a generic Lenovo H230 W/G45 motherboard, Windows 7 64, 640 GB HDD, WD 1TB Green, Seagate 1.5TB.
The Seagate NEVER wakes the first time and sometimes the WD doesn't. I have to recycle SLEEP or reboot.
Switching to IDE will not boot.
Score

Best solution

January 19, 2010 7:09:27 PM

I finally found a HOTFIX that took care of my problem. It seems as though large SATA drives take longer to start up and this fixes the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977178/#top
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2010 1:59:54 AM

Best answer selected by rwpritchett.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2010 2:00:21 AM

Thanks. I tried the hotfix and so far the drive has not disappeared.
Score
February 17, 2010 5:57:42 PM

There are two files listed under that hotfix. Did you guys install both?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 17, 2010 6:16:51 PM

I only installed one. I'd go with the one that has the latest date. Make sure you request the correct x86 or x64 for 32-bit or 64-bit, respectively.

As of today, the latest file is Fix306215 dated 19-Jan-2010.
Score
March 5, 2010 4:30:04 AM

rwpritchett said:
I only installed one. I'd go with the one that has the latest date. Make sure you request the correct x86 or x64 for 32-bit or 64-bit, respectively.

As of today, the latest file is Fix306215 dated 19-Jan-2010.

the hotfix seems to be fixing the problem if you get STOP errors waking up - but since you could wake up your computer, and only then you lost secondary HD(s), you must not have run into the STOP error as my understanding is you see those STOP errors in blue screen of death. If this is true ( that you hadn't run into STOP errors waking up the computer), you can still install the hotfix and are seeing that disappeared HD after wakeup no longer lost?

Please confirm. -tcpoob
Score
April 1, 2010 11:42:08 AM

yeah,i've applied the Hotfix, its my large secondary HDD, a WD 1TB, its still disappearing, it's frigging annoying, and I swear it's getting worse!
Score
a b $ Windows 7
April 1, 2010 12:52:30 PM

It's been ages since I had one of my two WD 1TB drives disappear. I don't know if it was truly the hotfix that solved the problem. I've changed a lot of things since I started this thread: new motherboard, re-installed Win7, and new boot drive.

Have you tried different SATA drivers?

Score
April 8, 2010 6:07:31 PM

rwpritchett said:
It's been ages since I had one of my two WD 1TB drives disappear. I don't know if it was truly the hotfix that solved the problem. I've changed a lot of things since I started this thread: new motherboard, re-installed Win7, and new boot drive.

Have you tried different SATA drivers?

Same problem. I've got a 2nd HDD that disappears after sleep mode. Only after a cold boot will Win 7 again recognize that 2nd drive. Makes the 2nd drive nearly useless.

Drivers are Microsoft for both drives. Windows 7 Pro x64 on a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R mobo. BIOS defaults to IDE management of HDDs. Boot drive is a 1 TB WD 1001FALS (Caviar Black). 2nd drive is a 300 GB Seagate Barracuda HDD. 2nd drive functions perfectly before it disappears.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
April 8, 2010 6:59:28 PM

Did you try the Hotfix?
Score
April 8, 2010 8:37:01 PM

rwpritchett said:
Did you try the Hotfix?

No, I've checked out the MS site though. The description of the problem MS gives didn't seem appropriate for me.
Score
April 8, 2010 8:44:28 PM

rwpritchett said:
Did you try the Hotfix?

My apologies. More explanation. I didn't try because...
1) 2nd HDD just disappears. No error messages are generated until some software tries to access the 2nd drive which is missing to Win 7.
2) 2nd drive isn't particlularly large - only 300 Gb.
3) 2nd drive isn't SATA II; it's a PATA 133

Do you think it would work anyway?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
April 8, 2010 11:41:18 PM

Try installing the Intel drivers (or 3rd party controller if that is the case) for the controller instead of using the default microsoft drivers and see if that helps. Also, might want to try a different IDE cable.
Score
April 17, 2010 1:51:43 PM

Lazy-B said:
My apologies. More explanation. I didn't try because...
1) 2nd HDD just disappears. No error messages are generated until some software tries to access the 2nd drive which is missing to Win 7.
2) 2nd drive isn't particlularly large - only 300 Gb.
3) 2nd drive isn't SATA II; it's a PATA 133

Do you think it would work anyway?

@Lazy-B: Have you had any success achieving a resolution to your problem. I find myself having exactly the same symptoms you are experiencing. My 1.5TB Seagate is disappearing after a period of inactivity, and only generates an error when some application needs to access that drive. If you've resolved the issue, what was your solution?
Score
April 17, 2010 1:58:46 PM

Hey, I have read through all of the posts and I have the exact same issue. I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P with a 500gb Seagate boot drive and a 600gb WD data disk and 2 lg sata dvd drives using AHCI. After S3 sleep, my WD disk disappears but no other drives (including the dvd drives), and it is extremely frustrating. I have not applied the hotfix because I am not getting any BSOD or any error that they are stating. I was wondering if all of you guys have Gigabyte motherboards?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
April 17, 2010 2:04:13 PM

Gigabyte boards here too.

You shouldn't see a BSOD unless it's your boot drive that disappears, I believe. If a secondary drive disappears it just becomes unavailable.

Try the hotfix I say.
Score
April 17, 2010 2:13:11 PM

I'll try the hotfix. I think it may be a Gigabyte mobo thing because all of the cases I've read about on the internet has to do with people with Gigabyte mobos.
Score
April 17, 2010 9:02:20 PM

SUMB44 said:
@Lazy-B: Have you had any success achieving a resolution to your problem. I find myself having exactly the same symptoms you are experiencing. My 1.5TB Seagate is disappearing after a period of inactivity, and only generates an error when some application needs to access that drive. If you've resolved the issue, what was your solution?

No luck yet. I'm reluctant to try the hotfix, so I'm just waiting for MS to fix the issue. I use my 2nd 300 GB drive for backups weekly, so I can accept doing them manually by setting the sleep function to "never" in Windows 7.

A poor solution I know, but since I can't get my system to automatically stay awake to do scheduled tasks yet either, it's the best I can do for now.
Score
April 17, 2010 10:50:00 PM

FWIW, I had this problem on Win7-64 with a WD 750GB secondary drive, on a Gigabyte H55M board. The ACPI -> IDE switch did not resolve my issue.

I installed the MS hotfix, with the latest date. It seems to have resolved the issues. Still using MS drivers for disk drives.

Score
April 18, 2010 12:17:51 PM

After I have applied the hotfix, I have put my computer in S3 sleep overnight and there is no disappearance of drives. Thank you to everyone who has helped.
Score
April 19, 2010 8:55:58 PM

bouldergeek said:
FWIW, I had this problem on Win7-64 with a WD 750GB secondary drive, on a Gigabyte H55M board. The ACPI -> IDE switch did not resolve my issue.

I installed the MS hotfix, with the latest date. It seems to have resolved the issues. Still using MS drivers for disk drives.

Finally tried the hotfix. Same disappearing 2nd HDD continues for me, even with the fix. Haven't tried controller drivers other than MS yet. My BIOS defaults to IDE, where I've left it.
Score
April 21, 2010 6:19:16 PM

aslg said:
I have the same problem: G45 motherboard, Windows 7 64bit, 1 OCZ Vertex SSD (OS), 1 WD 1TB Green HDD (Data). I use the Microsoft AHCI drivers because the Intel ones do not pass TRIM commands to the SDD. The WD HDD disappears resuming from S3 standby.

I tried to go from AHCI to IDE in the BIOS settings but the system fails to boot.
How to do go from AHCI to IDE without reinstalling the OS?

You should not change the BIOS directly. If you do this, you may need to reinstall windows7. The correct procedure is to first let the windows registry know that you want to use the IDE drivers instead of the AHCI. After doing this, reboot the computer and change the BIOS. Once Windows starts up it will install the IDE drivers and you will need to reboot again.

Here is a windows support article that gives you step by step instructions. Hope this helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
Score
April 24, 2010 11:56:19 PM

I'm having this same issue. It just started a few hours ago, and can be repeated consistently. I've had W7 installed since launch. Affected drive is a 1TB Caviar Black. Using an Asus P6T deluxe.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
April 27, 2010 4:09:22 PM

Follow Up:

Due to some hard to track down bugs on my HTPC, I ended my troubleshooting and just did a full re-install of Windows 7. Most recent drivers running in AHCI mode, all apps installed, and all Windows updates included.

I purposely did NOT install the Hotfix just to see if anything has changed since last fall that may have solved this problem. Sure enough, later in the day after my OS re-install my Western Digital 1TB Black media drive disappeared. I didn't even have to wake from S3 sleep to make it disappear. It just vanished while the system was up and running. I guess this confirms that the Hotfix is still needed and Microsoft has not issued an automatic update to fix the problem.

I installed the Hotfix and so far no disappearing problems.
Score
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 10, 2010 5:57:21 AM

GA P55-UD4, Windows 7, WD Green 2TB drive. Solved the BSOD by running hotfixes. Drive still disappeared after an hour. Ran latest GA drivers, still same problem. Bios updates don't appear to address this issue, but am going to try; will post update..
Score
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
June 6, 2010 10:26:49 PM

I have a Asus P6t Deluxe V2 Bios version 901 with a Intel SSD as a primary HHD and a WD Green Caviar 1 TB as secondary HHD both SATA AHCI mode. I had same behavior, secondary drvie desappear after sleep. I applied the must recent hot fix for W7 64 bit (my OS) dated 06/07/2010 hF 206215. Seen like this was the right solution for it, know PC go to sleep and wakeup with both drives ready.
Score
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
July 6, 2010 8:45:00 AM

One PC here is Win98SE, Asus P2B-Board. Drive D: occasionally does not show up in Windows Explorer, but can be made to reappear by restarting Explorer.

Another PC was just bought second hand - GA BX2000 Board. Win XP
clean install on C: Samsung SV0844A (master). D: was DVD-ROM drive.
After System was running fine added second drive ST320413A (slave). Repartitioned that from XP (total drive is one partition, E:\), reformatted
from XP.
After restart of system second drive E:\ did not show up in Win XP,
neither in explorer nor in disk management, in BIOS however all fine.
Run hardware assistant, found drive, then showed up in WinXP too.
This behaviour was reproducible.
Renamed DVD-Rom to F:, renamed second HDU D:, renamed DVD-Rom
to E:. Still same behaviour: Second HDU would only show up after having been searched for with Hardware Assistant.
At last I put some files onto the D: hard disk, and to my surprise this
morning it was quite present in XP from the start onwards.

I was stunned about the number of reports I found in Google on
drives disappearing from Windows. I do not think, that it is a problem caused by hardware.

Score
July 20, 2010 1:19:38 AM

I have the same problem where my 1 terabyte Drive disappears after windows goes to sleep. I am running Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit. I tried dling the latest intel matrix drivers and run the exe and unfortunately get the following error:

" This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software"

I am running AHCI mode. I have 3 SATA hardrives and 1 IDE DVD-Drive. Any idea why the drivers from intel are not installing?

These are the drivers I am using --> Drivers Link
Score
August 2, 2010 1:58:39 PM

My system:
Win7 with Asus P5E Deluxe
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB primary drive
WD Caviar Green 1TB media drive

I have the same vanishing drive problem with my WD storage drive ever since I switched my primary drive from a WD Raptor 74gb to the SSD, although the 1TB often vanishes while I'm using it - it sometimes reappears out of the blue as well. When it is gone, using Disk Administrator to rescan the disks does not find it. It is strange that I never had this problem before using an SSD.

Another symptom I've encountered that I'm not sure is related is my computer has started hanging for periods between 1 minute and 2 hours at the "Starting Windows" screen when booting, and will sometimes hang for a while during shutdown as well - also new since I switched to the SSD. Has anyone else experienced this along with their vanishing secondary drive?

I get the same error as rimmi2002 when trying to install the matrix drivers. I haven't tried the hotfix, since I don't get BSOD, but I may give it a go later today (For some reason the hotfix request system is down right now).
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 2, 2010 7:23:20 PM

Definitely try the hotfix. I don't think you get a BSOD unless the drive that disappears is your OS drive. I've also experienced the long bootup but I can't remember what fixed it. I believe I played around with different AHCI drivers to solve that one.
Score
August 11, 2010 7:44:43 AM

I can't apply the hotfix.

I run a dell xps9000, win7 64-bit, with a secondary internal 1TB WD Black drive. The WD drops out as most people experienced. However, when I try to download the hotfix, the site only lets me download the ia64 version, which then says it's not applicable to my system.

Seems like the 'system spec check' on microsoft.com is flawed. How can I download the x64 hotfix?
Score
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!