Correct Bios Settings -- Advanced Chipset Features -- GA-7..

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

System:

GA-7N400 PRO2
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton 333MHZ fsb chip
Two Kingston HyperX 512mb 184pin DDR 333 (pc 2700) Unbuffered memory
Saphire Radeon 9600 Pro 256mb
19" Flat Panel
Soundblaster Audigy2
160 gb Maxtor Drive
DVD +R-R
DVD ROM
Multi Card Reader -- Internal
Windows XP-HOME SP2

I am not sure what my settings should be under the Advanced Chipset Features
menu.

Should I have the System Performance Setting set to [Normal]?
What should the FSB Frequency be set to? 100, 133, 166 or 200

If I have my motherboard set to Optimized Defaults, will this place my
system in an Overclocked state?

What should the AGP Frequency be set to?

"Jack" <jack@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> System:
>
> GA-7N400 PRO2
> AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton 333MHZ fsb chip
> Two Kingston HyperX 512mb 184pin DDR 333 (pc 2700) Unbuffered memory
> Saphire Radeon 9600 Pro 256mb
> 19" Flat Panel
> Soundblaster Audigy2
> 160 gb Maxtor Drive
> DVD +R-R
> DVD ROM
> Multi Card Reader -- Internal
> Windows XP-HOME SP2
>
> I am not sure what my settings should be under the Advanced Chipset
> Features
> menu.
>
> Should I have the System Performance Setting set to [Normal]?
Normal is fine for starters.

> What should the FSB Frequency be set to? 100, 133, 166 or 200

166mHz

> If I have my motherboard set to Optimized Defaults, will this place my
> system in an Overclocked state?

No

> What should the AGP Frequency be set to?

66mHz

Nice rig.

Make sure the CLK_SW is ON ( auto) and set the CLK_RATIO switches to 6.5X.

jps

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

"jpsga" <jpsga@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Jack" <jack@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>> System:
>>
>> GA-7N400 PRO2
>> AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton 333MHZ fsb chip
>> Two Kingston HyperX 512mb 184pin DDR 333 (pc 2700) Unbuffered memory
>> Saphire Radeon 9600 Pro 256mb
>> 19" Flat Panel
>> Soundblaster Audigy2
>> 160 gb Maxtor Drive
>> DVD +R-R
>> DVD ROM
>> Multi Card Reader -- Internal
>> Windows XP-HOME SP2
>>
>> I am not sure what my settings should be under the Advanced Chipset
>> Features
>> menu.
>>
>> Should I have the System Performance Setting set to [Normal]?
> Normal is fine for starters.
>
>> What should the FSB Frequency be set to? 100, 133, 166 or 200
>
> 166mHz
>>
>> If I have my motherboard set to Optimized Defaults, will this place my
>> system in an Overclocked state?
>
> No
>>
>> What should the AGP Frequency be set to?
>
> 66mHz
>>

> Nice rig.
>
> Make sure the CLK_SW is ON ( auto) and set the CLK_RATIO switches to 6.5X.
>
> jps

Thanks for the response. Can you tell me why the CLK_RATIO switch should be
set to 6.5x? I currently have it set to AUTO, all dip switches set to ON.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

"jpsga" <jpsga@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Jack" <jack@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>> System:
>>
>> GA-7N400 PRO2
>> AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton 333MHZ fsb chip
>> Two Kingston HyperX 512mb 184pin DDR 333 (pc 2700) Unbuffered memory
>> Saphire Radeon 9600 Pro 256mb
>> 19" Flat Panel
>> Soundblaster Audigy2
>> 160 gb Maxtor Drive
>> DVD +R-R
>> DVD ROM
>> Multi Card Reader -- Internal
>> Windows XP-HOME SP2
>>
>> I am not sure what my settings should be under the Advanced Chipset
>> Features
>> menu.
>>
>> Should I have the System Performance Setting set to [Normal]?
> Normal is fine for starters.
>
>> What should the FSB Frequency be set to? 100, 133, 166 or 200
>
> 166mHz
>>
>> If I have my motherboard set to Optimized Defaults, will this place my
>> system in an Overclocked state?
>
> No
>>
>> What should the AGP Frequency be set to?
>
> 66mHz
>>

> Nice rig.
>
> Make sure the CLK_SW is ON ( auto) and set the CLK_RATIO switches to 6.5X.
>
> jps

jps, The reason I asked about the 6.5x setting is because the number I
thougt it should be set to is 13. Obviously 6.5 is 1/2 of 13, so what logic
am I missing? Will it hurt to leave the CLK_RATIO at AUTO?

> "jpsga" <jpsga@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jack" <jack@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>> System:
>>>
>>> GA-7N400 PRO2
>>> AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton 333MHZ fsb chip
>>> Two Kingston HyperX 512mb 184pin DDR 333 (pc 2700) Unbuffered memory
>>> Saphire Radeon 9600 Pro 256mb
>>> 19" Flat Panel
>>> Soundblaster Audigy2
>>> 160 gb Maxtor Drive
>>> DVD +R-R
>>> DVD ROM
>>> Multi Card Reader -- Internal
>>> Windows XP-HOME SP2
>>>
>>> I am not sure what my settings should be under the Advanced Chipset
>>> Features
>>> menu.
>>>
>>> Should I have the System Performance Setting set to [Normal]?
>> Normal is fine for starters.
>>
>>> What should the FSB Frequency be set to? 100, 133, 166 or 200
>>
>> 166mHz
>>>
>>> If I have my motherboard set to Optimized Defaults, will this place my
>>> system in an Overclocked state?
>>
>> No
>>>
>>> What should the AGP Frequency be set to?
>>
>> 66mHz
>>>

>> Nice rig.
>>
>> Make sure the CLK_SW is ON ( auto) and set the CLK_RATIO switches to
>> 6.5X.
>>
>> jps
>>

> Thanks for the response. Can you tell me why the CLK_RATIO switch should
> be set to 6.5x? I currently have it set to AUTO, all dip switches set to
> ON.

Ya got me!!
My error
S/B 166 *13=2158
so set to 13X not 6.5X.

The 166MHz is set in the 'Advanced Chipset Features'.
Now that you know how to clear the BIOS, you might try 13.5. A slight over
clock from the specified 2167MHz.

AUTO never worked for me, not sure why.

jps

personally i would do 200 fsb with a memory at 83% or 166mHz and a 11x
multi to start with an psedo-xp3200+
this should get ya running