Motherboard won't boot with 29160 scsi pci card

BillM

Distinguished
May 28, 2005

I also posted this in a SCSI news group:

I bought an adaptec 29160 PCI card on ebay. It is a 64 bit card but
when I install it in a variety of 32 bit pci slot my machine will not
boot. It just hangs up and the video won't even start. I have tried
to get my machine to "find it", both with my older Tekram DC-390F
still installed and by itself, all for naught.

My motherboard is a GigaByte P4 Titan GA-81PE1000 Pro and is PCI 2.3
compliant while the 29160 spec calls for only 2.1 and up, so it should
work even in the 32 bit slot.

My plan was to just get the adaptec card working and install the
drivers that I downloaded from adaptec, then buy a bigger and faster
SCSI drive to clone for my boot drive. The guy who I bought it from
says it was working in a 64 bit slot when pulled to sell it.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Bill

On Sat, 28 May 2005 14:26:19 GMT, BillM <altmorsecut@kc.rr.com> wrote:

>I also posted this in a SCSI news group:
>
>I bought an adaptec 29160 PCI card on ebay. It is a 64 bit card but
>when I install it in a variety of 32 bit pci slot my machine will not
>boot. It just hangs up and the video won't even start. I have tried
>to get my machine to "find it", both with my older Tekram DC-390F
>still installed and by itself, all for naught.
>
>My motherboard is a GigaByte P4 Titan GA-81PE1000 Pro and is PCI 2.3
>compliant while the 29160 spec calls for only 2.1 and up, so it should
>work even in the 32 bit slot.
>
>My plan was to just get the adaptec card working and install the
>drivers that I downloaded from adaptec, then buy a bigger and faster
>SCSI drive to clone for my boot drive. The guy who I bought it from
>says it was working in a 64 bit slot when pulled to sell it.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks, Bill

It appears to me that you bought a faulty card.

BigVoice

anonymoose

I could be wrong, after all, I'm only human, but it sounds like theres a
possibility the card is bad. Maybe not... but have you tried it in any other
motherboards? There could be a compatibility issue with yours. Just a thot.
Hope it helped and good luck.

"BillM" <altmorsecut@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
>I also posted this in a SCSI news group:
>
> I bought an adaptec 29160 PCI card on ebay. It is a 64 bit card but
> when I install it in a variety of 32 bit pci slot my machine will not
> boot. It just hangs up and the video won't even start. I have tried
> to get my machine to "find it", both with my older Tekram DC-390F
> still installed and by itself, all for naught.
>
> My motherboard is a GigaByte P4 Titan GA-81PE1000 Pro and is PCI 2.3
> compliant while the 29160 spec calls for only 2.1 and up, so it should
> work even in the 32 bit slot.
>
> My plan was to just get the adaptec card working and install the
> drivers that I downloaded from adaptec, then buy a bigger and faster
> SCSI drive to clone for my boot drive. The guy who I bought it from
> says it was working in a 64 bit slot when pulled to sell it.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks, Bill

Tim

Have you tried it without the tekram card installed?

I doubt it conflicts since adaptec makes their own chips, but previously I
have had tekram and one other make of card that happened to have the same
chip family but different firmware - neither would go if both were
installed.

- Tim