AGP Card Recommendation

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

I currently have a Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro 256mb agp video card and would
like to know what would be one to steps up in quality with the same chipset?
I want to start playing a few video games and think I need a bit more speed.
I also may want to overclock the card.

Current Setup:

GA-7N400 PRO2
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton 333MHZ fsb chip
Two Kingston HyperX 512mb 184pin DDR 333 (pc 2700) Unbuffered memory
Saphire Radeon 9600 Pro 256mb
19" Polyview Flat Panel
Soundblaster Audigy2
160 gb Maxtor Drive
DVD +R-R
DVD ROM
Multi Card Reader -- Internal
Windows XP-HOME SP2

Jack wrote:
> I currently have a Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro 256mb agp video card and
> would like to know what would be one to steps up in quality with the
> same chipset? I want to start playing a few video games and think I
> need a bit more speed. I also may want to overclock the card.

That's a pretty good mainstream Direct 9x AGP card. Why not start with
gaming with it and see if you encounter any problems. If not, you've
saved yourself a couple of hundred dollars.

anonymoose

I like my ATi X800 XT All in Wonder, but then again I like high speed video
editing of which I have not found with any standard PCI video capture/tv
cards etc. But thats just me.

"Jack" <jack@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>I currently have a Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro 256mb agp video card and would
>like to know what would be one to steps up in quality with the same
>chipset? I want to start playing a few video games and think I need a bit
>more speed. I also may want to overclock the card.
>
> Current Setup:
>
> GA-7N400 PRO2
> AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton 333MHZ fsb chip
> Two Kingston HyperX 512mb 184pin DDR 333 (pc 2700) Unbuffered memory
> Saphire Radeon 9600 Pro 256mb
> 19" Polyview Flat Panel
> Soundblaster Audigy2
> 160 gb Maxtor Drive
> DVD +R-R
> DVD ROM
> Multi Card Reader -- Internal
> Windows XP-HOME SP2

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

"Anonymoose" <none@this.time.com> wrote in message
> I like my ATi X800 XT All in Wonder, but then again I like high speed
video
> editing of which I have not found with any standard PCI video capture/tv
> cards etc. But thats just me.

Thanks for the recommendation. I checked Newegg for pricing and this card is
a little bit more than I wanted to spend. I'm leaning toward the 9800Pro or
x800xl after saving a few more coins.

anonymoose

And let me add that it plays games very nicely too. I haven't tried
overclocking this card, but its predecessor was an all in wonder 9800 Pro
which overclocked really well.

"Anonymoose" <none@this.time.com> wrote in message
>I like my ATi X800 XT All in Wonder, but then again I like high speed video
>editing of which I have not found with any standard PCI video capture/tv
>cards etc. But thats just me.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

On Sun, 29 May 2005 12:04:12 -0700, "Jack" <jack@somewhere.com> wrote:

>I currently have a Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro 256mb agp video card and would
>like to know what would be one to steps up in quality with the same chipset?
>I want to start playing a few video games and think I need a bit more speed.
>I also may want to overclock the card.
>
>Current Setup:
>
>GA-7N400 PRO2
>AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton 333MHZ fsb chip
>Two Kingston HyperX 512mb 184pin DDR 333 (pc 2700) Unbuffered memory
>Saphire Radeon 9600 Pro 256mb
>19" Polyview Flat Panel
>Soundblaster Audigy2
>160 gb Maxtor Drive
>DVD +R-R
>DVD ROM
>Multi Card Reader -- Internal
>Windows XP-HOME SP2

Go for a GF 6600GT its fast and CHEAP..

anonymoose

Yes the 9800 pro was good card too. I was extremely happy with it.

> "Anonymoose" <none@this.time.com> wrote in message
>> I like my ATi X800 XT All in Wonder, but then again I like high speed
> video
>> editing of which I have not found with any standard PCI video capture/tv
>> cards etc. But thats just me.
>>
> Thanks for the recommendation. I checked Newegg for pricing and this card
> is
> a little bit more than I wanted to spend. I'm leaning toward the 9800Pro
> or
> x800xl after saving a few more coins.

TRENDING THREADS