burn software doesn't recognize aopen com5232 aah pro comb..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

i've got a aopen com5232 aah pro combo drive. i'm trying to get burning
software to recognize it as a recorder. nero express won't see it. it just
brings up the image recorder. easy cd creator says there's no recordable
devices on the system. i tried these with both windows 98 and xp and got the
same results. i checked the aopen web site for some special driver but there
is none. do i need special burning software for this kind of device? it
works fine as a dvd and cd reader. thanks for any help.

--
Gary Roach
ADB Services

    Stomp Record Now Max is an excellent CD / DVD recorder application.

    I have installed it with many different drives. SO it may be worthwhile
    using this.

    Also, have you checked in device manager to see if XP has properly
    identified this as a Read and Write [recorder] device?

    "glee" wrote:

    > What software came with the drive?
    > Is your Nero Express a free version that came with another burner, or have you paid
    > for and registered it? I ask this because at one time drives that came with Nero
    > software registered Nero so that it only worked with that drive, or that brand of
    > drive.
    > EZCD Creator, if it is an older version, may not have support for the newer drive
    > you are trying to use. The Roxio web site should have a list of supported drives
    > somewhere, if you search it.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > > i've got a aopen com5232 aah pro combo drive. i'm trying to get burning
    > > software to recognize it as a recorder. nero express won't see it. it just
    > > brings up the image recorder. easy cd creator says there's no recordable
    > > devices on the system. i tried these with both windows 98 and xp and got the
    > > same results. i checked the aopen web site for some special driver but there
    > > is none. do i need special burning software for this kind of device? it
    > > works fine as a dvd and cd reader. thanks for any help.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary Roach
    > > ADB Services

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    thanks for the info. i'll look into using stomp. the unit came with no
    software so i'll have to get some. the device manager shows the device but
    makes no mention of its recordability. however, my other burner also shows
    this way in device manager - no record indication. i checked the registry
    key:

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD
    Burning\Drives

    and found that the existing burner showed a "drive type" value of
    0x00000003, while the new combo burner showed "drive type" value of
    0x00000001. this tells me that at least for the purpose of the built in
    roxio burning software, windows doesn't see the drive as recordable. i
    checked the roxio site and the device is not listed in their supported
    drives. a computer store told me to try updating to the latest version of
    nero express which i am currently in the process of doing.

    the nero software that i'm attempting to use shows the version as "Nero
    Express 5.5.10.5 Mitsumi" and came with another burner so it looks as if
    your suspicion that this is specific to the hardware is correct. i'm
    currently trying to update it to a newer (and hopefully less hardware
    specific) version. this appears to have worked - although the verification
    phase failed, the data was recorded. thanks for the help!

    > What software came with the drive?
    > Is your Nero Express a free version that came with another burner, or have
    > you paid
    > for and registered it? I ask this because at one time drives that came
    > with Nero
    > software registered Nero so that it only worked with that drive, or that
    > brand of
    > drive.
    > EZCD Creator, if it is an older version, may not have support for the
    > newer drive
    > you are trying to use. The Roxio web site should have a list of supported
    > drives
    > somewhere, if you search it.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
    >> i've got a aopen com5232 aah pro combo drive. i'm trying to get burning
    >> software to recognize it as a recorder. nero express won't see it. it
    >> just
    >> brings up the image recorder. easy cd creator says there's no recordable
    >> devices on the system. i tried these with both windows 98 and xp and got
    >> the
    >> same results. i checked the aopen web site for some special driver but
    >> there
    >> is none. do i need special burning software for this kind of device? it
    >> works fine as a dvd and cd reader. thanks for any help.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary Roach
    >> ADB Services

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    thanks for the info. i'll look into using stomp. the unit came with no
    software so i'll have to get some. the device manager shows the device but
    makes no mention of its recordability. however, my other burner also shows
    this way in device manager - no record indication. i checked the registry
    key:

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD
    Burning\Drives

    and found that the existing burner showed a "drive type" value of
    0x00000003, while the new combo burner showed "drive type" value of
    0x00000001. this tells me that at least for the purpose of the built in
    roxio burning software, windows doesn't see the drive as recordable. i
    checked the roxio site and the device is not listed in their supported
    drives. a computer store told me to try updating to the latest version of
    nero express which i am currently in the process of doing. this seems to
    have worked. thanks for the help!

    > Stomp Record Now Max is an excellent CD / DVD recorder application.
    >
    > I have installed it with many different drives. SO it may be worthwhile
    > using this.
    >
    > Also, have you checked in device manager to see if XP has properly
    > identified this as a Read and Write [recorder] device?
    >
    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    >> What software came with the drive?
    >> Is your Nero Express a free version that came with another burner, or
    >> have you paid
    >> for and registered it? I ask this because at one time drives that came
    >> with Nero
    >> software registered Nero so that it only worked with that drive, or that
    >> brand of
    >> drive.
    >> EZCD Creator, if it is an older version, may not have support for the
    >> newer drive
    >> you are trying to use. The Roxio web site should have a list of
    >> supported drives
    >> somewhere, if you search it.
    >> --
    >> Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >> "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
    >> > i've got a aopen com5232 aah pro combo drive. i'm trying to get burning
    >> > software to recognize it as a recorder. nero express won't see it. it
    >> > just
    >> > brings up the image recorder. easy cd creator says there's no
    >> > recordable
    >> > devices on the system. i tried these with both windows 98 and xp and
    >> > got the
    >> > same results. i checked the aopen web site for some special driver but
    >> > there
    >> > is none. do i need special burning software for this kind of device? it
    >> > works fine as a dvd and cd reader. thanks for any help.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Gary Roach
    >> > ADB Services

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Gary,
    I have a similar problem when my Taiwanese made CD writer when runs with
    Nero. It works with Roxio easy creator. You probably need to uninstall the
    both the software from the remove program at the control panel. Needs to
    reinstall the easy creator again and see the results. If there is a problem
    surf to www.download.com and try some of the latest freeware which may help.
    Cheers
    "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > i've got a aopen com5232 aah pro combo drive. i'm trying to get burning
    > software to recognize it as a recorder. nero express won't see it. it just
    > brings up the image recorder. easy cd creator says there's no recordable
    > devices on the system. i tried these with both windows 98 and xp and got
    the
    > same results. i checked the aopen web site for some special driver but
    there
    > is none. do i need special burning software for this kind of device? it
    > works fine as a dvd and cd reader. thanks for any help.
    >
    > --
    > Gary Roach
    > ADB Services

    Hello there.

    A friend of mine is having trouble with his new drive, the same model.

    AOpen com5232 aah pro combo drive

    It will not read CDs.

    Windows (XP) has detected the drive but the device manager says it
    cannot find a driver for it.

    It is a new PC and it seems that the drive did not come with a driver
    CD. AOpen do not have a driver for it on their website, (only firmware
    updates). I have contatced the company where my friend bought the
    computer but they have not responded yet, I am trying to see if I can
    resolve the problem myself...

    does anyone know the location of a driver?

    The odd thing is, it appears that the CD drive has worked briefly at at
    least one point, as there is software installed on the drive that could
    really have only been installed by CD. (I obviously do not know
    everythign that has gone on, as it is not my PC... and my friend does
    not appear to be very knowledgeable!)

    Does anyone have any ideas?

    thanks

    --