Installed a second HDD; Windows errs when loading "Volume"..

I recently physically installed a second hard drive on a desktop system
running Windows XP SP2. All device jumpers are correct, and all BIOS settings
are correct. However Windows has trouble with the software setup of the disk.

After logon, I get an error message saying "Windows could not find the
Installer for Volume. Contact the hardware administrator for assitance." or
something to that effect.

So I checked to see if the Windows Installer service was running. Sure
enough, it wasn't, and wouldn't start either. After learning about the
MSIEXEC command, and it's two helpful switches "/unregister" and
"/regserver", I've managed to get Windows Installer to start manually, but
not at Windows startup.

Browsing the Windows Installer Properties dialog box let me find the
"Startup type:" drop-down list in the General tab. Assuming "Automatic" meant
every time Windows loads, I happily selected it, clicked OK, and rebooted the
system, only to find that the aforementioned error message still appears at
startup, AND the Windows Installer service NOT started.

If anybody out there has information that can either:
- get Windows Installer back into shape, or
- at the very least, get the Volume installer running correctly
please don't be shy!

Thanks,
Brian

Does the second hard drive have data you want to keep?

Access Disk Managment (Right click on "My Computer" and Select Manage).

Does the second hard drive show up?

"Brian C." <Brian C.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently physically installed a second hard drive on a desktop system
> running Windows XP SP2. All device jumpers are correct, and all BIOS
> settings
> are correct. However Windows has trouble with the software setup of the
> disk.
>
> After logon, I get an error message saying "Windows could not find the
> Installer for Volume. Contact the hardware administrator for assitance."
> or
> something to that effect.
>
> So I checked to see if the Windows Installer service was running. Sure
> enough, it wasn't, and wouldn't start either. After learning about the
> MSIEXEC command, and it's two helpful switches "/unregister" and
> "/regserver", I've managed to get Windows Installer to start manually, but
> not at Windows startup.
>
> Browsing the Windows Installer Properties dialog box let me find the
> "Startup type:" drop-down list in the General tab. Assuming "Automatic"
> meant
> every time Windows loads, I happily selected it, clicked OK, and rebooted
> the
> system, only to find that the aforementioned error message still appears
> at
> startup, AND the Windows Installer service NOT started.
>
> If anybody out there has information that can either:
> - get Windows Installer back into shape, or
> - at the very least, get the Volume installer running correctly
> please don't be shy!
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

No, the second hard drive is brand new and has no valuable data on it. And
yes, it does show up in "Disk Management". The disk seems usable, but that
error message, and the fact that the Windows isn't reading the second drive's
serial number (Windows can read the serial from the primary HDD just fine) is
what's bothering me.

Thanks,
Brian

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> Does the second hard drive have data you want to keep?
>
> Access Disk Managment (Right click on "My Computer" and Select Manage).
>
> Does the second hard drive show up?

You will need to set up a "partiton" and "format" the drive before Windows
can read anything from the second drive. When you get a new drive, it does
not normally come formatted and you will need to do this yourself in "Disk
Management".

> No, the second hard drive is brand new and has no valuable data on it. And
> yes, it does show up in "Disk Management". The disk seems usable, but that
> error message, and the fact that the Windows isn't reading the second
> drive's
> serial number (Windows can read the serial from the primary HDD just fine)
> is
> what's bothering me.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
>

> "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
>
>> Does the second hard drive have data you want to keep?
>>
>> Access Disk Managment (Right click on "My Computer" and Select Manage).
>>
>> Does the second hard drive show up?

I've done that already. The error messages started occuring after I
partitioned and formatted.

So what I've done for now, is delete the partitions and left the whole disk
unallocated. Unfortunately, as it stands, I can't initialize the disk in disk
management.

Thanks for your time,
Brian

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> You will need to set up a "partiton" and "format" the drive before Windows
> can read anything from the second drive. When you get a new drive, it does
> not normally come formatted and you will need to do this yourself in "Disk
> Management".

If anybody cares {you never know ;) }, the problem was righted with a format
and installation of windows. when in doubt, smoke the system!