Jumper Troubles

Greetings. Looking for any help that any of you can offer.

Here is the deal.
My old cpu ADM 1.3ghz chip overheated due to fan stopping. Board is
still fine, tested it with friends 1.3ghz chip worked fine.

I purchased a Duron 1.8ghz chip, new heatsink/fan combo.
Installed it into the board, properly.
When I boot up the computer it sounds like its running, but not
moniter (moniter is fine as is dvd drive tested on friends pc worked
properly)

The board is a GA-7ZX (board does not say ga-7ZX"e" but appears to be
identical to the ga-7zxe board's picture on the GA website) Im 95%
sure that it is a matter of changing jumpers from the settings for
1.3 to the settings for 1.8.

Ive had no luck at all finding any worthwhile information reguardings
jumper settings and the GA-7ZX Board. The manual for the board says
the following re: jumpers "adjust your jumpers as needed"

Ive spent 14 hours now searching for anything to do with the jumpers.

Already tried calling gigabyte's tech support. The person i spoke
with there last evening couldnt help me at all. He had no
information about jumpers that he could find, Im working under the
assumption that he is/was ajust a dumbhead and will try calling again
this evening when i have a phone can use.

But if anyone knows where to find imformation on what jumpers need to
be swapped/changed around so that I can run a duron 1.8 chip on my
ga-7zx board. I would be indebted to you.
7 answers Last reply
More about jumper troubles

    Bumping myself, as I really have no clue wth im supposed to do..

    "Bryan Hanson" <derwolven@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Greetings. Looking for any help that any of you can offer.
    >
    > Here is the deal.
    > My old cpu ADM 1.3ghz chip overheated due to fan stopping. Board is
    > still fine, tested it with friends 1.3ghz chip worked fine.
    >
    > I purchased a Duron 1.8ghz chip, new heatsink/fan combo.
    > Installed it into the board, properly.
    > When I boot up the computer it sounds like its running, but not
    > moniter (moniter is fine as is dvd drive tested on friends pc worked
    > properly)

    ....if it's a 7ZXe board there is only one jumper (CLK_JP 1-2 close) to set
    to 133FSB provided u have the ram stick in the right bank it should work

    --
    Avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    Virus Database (VPS): 0522-10, 02/06/2005

    Thanks for the heads up. Now to figure out which jumper is ( CLK_JP
    1-2 close ) and how to update the bios to F9 (where do i find bios
    f9? and how to di put it onto my computer..

    Sorry im more a pc game player then pc builder, but least this way im
    learning.

    Thanks in advance again.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Steve K wrote:

    > "Bryan Hanson" <derwolven@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
    > message news:429df175$1_3@alt.athenanews.com
    >> Greetings. Looking for any help that any of you can offer.
    >>
    >> Here is the deal.
    >> My old cpu ADM 1.3ghz chip overheated due to fan stopping. Board is
    >> still fine, tested it with friends 1.3ghz chip worked fine.
    >>
    >> I purchased a Duron 1.8ghz chip, new heatsink/fan combo.
    >> Installed it into the board, properly.
    >> When I boot up the computer it sounds like its running, but not
    >> moniter (moniter is fine as is dvd drive tested on friends pc worked
    >> properly)
    If this is GA7ZXE board, as far as I remember it has to be rev. 2.1 to
    handle Thoroughbred chips. Also you need to update the bios to F9.

    I have one of these boards with an AthlonXP 2400+ - excellent hardware.

    --
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    > Thanks for the heads up. Now to figure out which jumper is ( CLK_JP
    > 1-2 close ) and how to update the bios to F9 (where do i find bios
    > f9? and how to di put it onto my computer..
    >
    > Sorry im more a pc game player then pc builder, but least this way im
    > learning.
    >

    > Thanks in advance again.

    Here is the download link to the manual of your mobo - it will show u the
    location of that jumper.
    http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/Download.asp?DownloadPath=/MotherBoard/FileList/Manual/manual_7zxe_e_1101.pdf

    --
    Avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    Virus Database (VPS): 0522-13, 03/06/2005

    my dads computer has the original ga-7zx rev.1x motherboard and he recently upgraded the cpu from a 750 mhz duron cpu to a 1.4 ghz athlon firebird.

    one thing you need to know is the fsb. the ga-7zx motherboard can only have a max of 133 mhz fsb. if your cpu has a higher fsb requirement it will not work.

    another problem may be the bios. on my dads computer, the bios can only use up to a 1.13 ghz cpu (uless you can find a newer one which can handle more). so he did not get the full 1.4 ghz (which is a good thing cause then theres no possible way of over clocking).

    my dad was looking for a cpu for at least a month. the most the board can handle was so rare 1.5 ghz one (which is good he didn't spend time looking for it cause his bios can only handle 1.13 ghz anyway). the eaiest one to find is the 1.4 GHZ AMD ATHLON FIREBIRD (which my dad bought off ebay).

    another thing which i find with that board, is that it is very easy for something to disconnect from it (i.e. video card). but, when something does disconnect, is beeps like hell.

    i hope this has helped you please email me at roytucker@live.ca if you have any q's
  7. sorry there is one problem with the one post i made the board can has a 200 mhz fsb. sorry about that. here is a list of supported cpus for the board
    i do not see yours.
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=1371
    email me at roytucker@live.ca if you have any q's thanx

Gigabyte Chip Jumper Motherboards