Bruce

I have a problem with the board on my computer. I have access to another
computer and added my harddisk to that computer as a slave. Both disks have
XP on them. Is it possible to run the programs on my original disk? Is it
possible to boot from the slave?

Inline answers for present configuration.

Bruce wrote:

> I have a problem with the board on my computer. I have access to another
> computer and added my harddisk to that computer as a slave. Both disks have
> XP on them. Is it possible to run the programs on my original disk?

No, not with the present configuration

Is it
> possible to boot from the slave?

No, not with the present configuration

The data should be readable, but ONLY very simple programs may run from
the slaved drive. Booting from a slave drive is possible but NOT in a
"transfered" drive.

Bruce

This is a transferred drive. So the only thing I can do is back up my drive
and get it into another box as the primary drive, or use it in this box as
the primary drive?

"Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is a transferred drive. So the only thing I can do is back up my
> drive
> and get it into another box as the primary drive, or use it in this box as
> the primary drive?
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>
>> Inline answers for present configuration.
>>
>> Bruce wrote:
>>
>> > I have a problem with the board on my computer. I have access to
>> > another
>> > computer and added my harddisk to that computer as a slave. Both disks
>> > have
>> > XP on them. Is it possible to run the programs on my original disk?
>>

>> No, not with the present configuration
>>
>> Is it
>> > possible to boot from the slave?
>> >

>> No, not with the present configuration
>>

>> The data should be readable, but ONLY very simple programs may run from
>> the slaved drive. Booting from a slave drive is possible but NOT in a
>> "transfered" drive.

The problem is that if you try to boot off of that drive, you're going to
have 2 problems. First, the drive letter is wrong, most likely. So all the
links to everything are going to be wrong in the registry and elsewhere. So
if it could boot, nothing would run anyway. If you try to fix it, you run
the risk of mucking up your current installation.

Second, unless the computers are virtually identical, you're going to have
to run a repair install to get all of the hardware recognized properly. Even
if it was the only drive in the system, you'd have this problem. If your
original disk was a restore disk from some OEM, you aren't going to be able
to run that repair install, most likely.

Depending on how your bios is set up, you might be able to switch the boot
order to boot from that slave drive. But then you're looking at that repair
install to get it running. And it's not a very good long-tern solution,
because every time you want to change drives, you'd have to reboot and
change the BIOS selection. And your BIOS may not support that sort of boot
option, anyway.