GA-7N400 Pro2 - still not recognizing hdds + other issue

Is there anybody out there who has figured this out?

I have had 2 brand new GA-7N400 Pro2 mbs sent to GigaByte for repairs.
Both have the same issue.
IDE 1 will not recognize hdds.
GigaRAID does but posts an error message after about 2 boot ups.
Neither board has been fixed by GigaByte even though one has been there
twice!
The drives I'm using were formatted using W2K on another system ... (all are
unallocated)
Is there a known issue using hdds formatted this way?
Do the hdds have to be new from the factory in order for the mbs to read
them?
All 4 hdds are 7200rpm 80gb Maxtor Plus 9s
Tried master/slave - cable select and even one at a time.
+
On boot up, one of the mbs only reads half of the installed memory.
The modules in bank 1 & 2 are matched PC3200 512mb 400DDR double sided
The modules in bank 3 & 4 are matched PC3200 512mb 400DDR single sided
The start up says that the memory is ok but only half of the installed is
posting
And, the memory LED is on.
I could not find anything in the manual regarding this issue.

Interestingly enough, the system I'm writing on is identical to the issue
pair, except the drives were factory new.

Help!

Thanks

This may be very simplistic but have you taken one of the "suspect"
drives and plugged it into your present operating system. Is it
there and does it work.

I have 3 hd's and four optical's on this MB with no problems BUT I had
to use the CD that came with the Maxtor HD to get it to be recognized
and formatted. Stick your Maxtor CD in the drive and boot from CD.

As for the memory -----

I do not know where you managed to find single sided 512 sticks.

I suspect that they are double sided and if they are they will never
work in the order you have them installed.

The system will not accept four DS sticks. If you want 2 gig in the
system then trade your sticks for a matched pair of 1024's and it
works in dual as well. (this is what I have)

Dave

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 15:15:52 GMT, "Ranay" <res0t6bm@verizon.net>
wrote:

>Is there anybody out there who has figured this out?
>
>I have had 2 brand new GA-7N400 Pro2 mbs sent to GigaByte for repairs.
>Both have the same issue.
>IDE 1 will not recognize hdds.
>GigaRAID does but posts an error message after about 2 boot ups.
>Neither board has been fixed by GigaByte even though one has been there
>twice!
>The drives I'm using were formatted using W2K on another system ... (all are
>unallocated)
>Is there a known issue using hdds formatted this way?
>Do the hdds have to be new from the factory in order for the mbs to read
>them?
>All 4 hdds are 7200rpm 80gb Maxtor Plus 9s
>Tried master/slave - cable select and even one at a time.
>+
>On boot up, one of the mbs only reads half of the installed memory.
>The modules in bank 1 & 2 are matched PC3200 512mb 400DDR double sided
>The modules in bank 3 & 4 are matched PC3200 512mb 400DDR single sided
>The start up says that the memory is ok but only half of the installed is
>posting
>And, the memory LED is on.
>I could not find anything in the manual regarding this issue.
>
>Interestingly enough, the system I'm writing on is identical to the issue
>pair, except the drives were factory new.
>
>Help!
>
>Thanks

trainman:

Yes, through a usb external enclosure.
They show up as "foreign", but they can be read after I change them to
basic.

I have a fourth system with the same board.
A dvd, cdrom, cdrw, zip, 2 hdds, multicard/floppy, 2 fan controllers with
(8) 80mm fans.
Also (2) 40mm memory fans, 80mm processor fan and a side 120mm fan running
off the board.
It is baffling, because this is the system I'm trying to duplicate.
It went together without a hitch and was up and running in 1 day.

Memory issue:

The system described above has the following memory
(4) single sided Crucial 512MB PC3200 400 DDR sticks.
It works flawlessly.
The issue system has this:
The manual notes that ds or ss sticks work in the first two slots and only
ss sticks work in the second two slots.
I found a couple of double sided Crucial 512s from Newegg
So I used ds Crucial in the first two slots and ss Crucial in the second two
slots.
All are 512s, PC3200 400DDR.

The other issue system has (4) ss Crucial PC3200 400DDR sticks and it reads
them all.

I'm confused, to say the least

Ranay

<trainman> wrote in message
> This may be very simplistic but have you taken one of the "suspect"
> drives and plugged it into your present operating system. Is it
> there and does it work.
>
> I have 3 hd's and four optical's on this MB with no problems BUT I had
> to use the CD that came with the Maxtor HD to get it to be recognized
> and formatted. Stick your Maxtor CD in the drive and boot from CD.
>
> As for the memory -----
>
> I do not know where you managed to find single sided 512 sticks.
>
> I suspect that they are double sided and if they are they will never
> work in the order you have them installed.
>
> The system will not accept four DS sticks. If you want 2 gig in the
> system then trade your sticks for a matched pair of 1024's and it
> works in dual as well. (this is what I have)
>
> Dave
>

> On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 15:15:52 GMT, "Ranay" <res0t6bm@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Is there anybody out there who has figured this out?
> >
> >I have had 2 brand new GA-7N400 Pro2 mbs sent to GigaByte for repairs.
> >Both have the same issue.
> >IDE 1 will not recognize hdds.
> >GigaRAID does but posts an error message after about 2 boot ups.
> >Neither board has been fixed by GigaByte even though one has been there
> >twice!
> >The drives I'm using were formatted using W2K on another system ... (all
are
> >unallocated)
> >Is there a known issue using hdds formatted this way?
> >Do the hdds have to be new from the factory in order for the mbs to read
> >them?
> >All 4 hdds are 7200rpm 80gb Maxtor Plus 9s
> >Tried master/slave - cable select and even one at a time.
> >+
> >On boot up, one of the mbs only reads half of the installed memory.
> >The modules in bank 1 & 2 are matched PC3200 512mb 400DDR double sided
> >The modules in bank 3 & 4 are matched PC3200 512mb 400DDR single sided
> >The start up says that the memory is ok but only half of the installed is
> >posting
> >And, the memory LED is on.
> >I could not find anything in the manual regarding this issue.
> >
> >Interestingly enough, the system I'm writing on is identical to the issue
> >pair, except the drives were factory new.
> >
> >Help!
> >
> >Thanks

trainman:

Forgot to mention.
All the hdds are OEM (no Maxtor CD)
I used a bootable floppy (downloaded from the Maxtor site) to boot from.
It did nothing to change the issue.

Ranay

<trainman> wrote in message
> This may be very simplistic but have you taken one of the "suspect"
> drives and plugged it into your present operating system. Is it
> there and does it work.
>
> I have 3 hd's and four optical's on this MB with no problems BUT I had
> to use the CD that came with the Maxtor HD to get it to be recognized
> and formatted. Stick your Maxtor CD in the drive and boot from CD.
>
> As for the memory -----
>
> I do not know where you managed to find single sided 512 sticks.
>
> I suspect that they are double sided and if they are they will never
> work in the order you have them installed.
>
> The system will not accept four DS sticks. If you want 2 gig in the
> system then trade your sticks for a matched pair of 1024's and it
> works in dual as well. (this is what I have)
>
> Dave
>

> On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 15:15:52 GMT, "Ranay" <res0t6bm@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Is there anybody out there who has figured this out?
> >
> >I have had 2 brand new GA-7N400 Pro2 mbs sent to GigaByte for repairs.
> >Both have the same issue.
> >IDE 1 will not recognize hdds.
> >GigaRAID does but posts an error message after about 2 boot ups.
> >Neither board has been fixed by GigaByte even though one has been there
> >twice!
> >The drives I'm using were formatted using W2K on another system ... (all
are
> >unallocated)
> >Is there a known issue using hdds formatted this way?
> >Do the hdds have to be new from the factory in order for the mbs to read
> >them?
> >All 4 hdds are 7200rpm 80gb Maxtor Plus 9s
> >Tried master/slave - cable select and even one at a time.
> >+
> >On boot up, one of the mbs only reads half of the installed memory.
> >The modules in bank 1 & 2 are matched PC3200 512mb 400DDR double sided
> >The modules in bank 3 & 4 are matched PC3200 512mb 400DDR single sided
> >The start up says that the memory is ok but only half of the installed is
> >posting
> >And, the memory LED is on.
> >I could not find anything in the manual regarding this issue.
> >
> >Interestingly enough, the system I'm writing on is identical to the issue
> >pair, except the drives were factory new.
> >
> >Help!
> >
> >Thanks

From what the local IT Guru passed on the memory must be identical in
1-3 and 2-4.

I have not tried to use all four slots as I just took the easy way and
bought 2 one meg sticks and into 1-3 they went and all was well with
the world.

As for the HD's there are a couple of things you could try.

I have my HD's on IDE 3&4 and use 1&2 for the optical's. You must
load the raid driver for this to work.

Is your bios the newest (I think f11 is the latest)

Can you format one of them after booting with the windoze CD in order
to install the raid drivers.

I went for a week after I bought the 3rd optical drive and put it on
ide3 with there it is and where did it go. No rhyme or reason just
sometimes it was there and sometimes it was not. Once I moved all the
optical's to ide1 and ide2 the thing was fine. Where are your
optical's hooked up in the great chain of life.

I must sympathize with you as the simplest thing that should work will
not.

Good luck.

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 12:26:17 GMT, "Ranay" <res0t6bm@verizon.net>
wrote:

>trainman:
>
>Yes, through a usb external enclosure.
>They show up as "foreign", but they can be read after I change them to
>basic.
>
>I have a fourth system with the same board.
>A dvd, cdrom, cdrw, zip, 2 hdds, multicard/floppy, 2 fan controllers with
>(8) 80mm fans.
>Also (2) 40mm memory fans, 80mm processor fan and a side 120mm fan running
>off the board.
>It is baffling, because this is the system I'm trying to duplicate.
>It went together without a hitch and was up and running in 1 day.
>
>Memory issue:
>
>The system described above has the following memory
>(4) single sided Crucial 512MB PC3200 400 DDR sticks.
>It works flawlessly.
>The issue system has this:
>The manual notes that ds or ss sticks work in the first two slots and only
>ss sticks work in the second two slots.
>I found a couple of double sided Crucial 512s from Newegg
>So I used ds Crucial in the first two slots and ss Crucial in the second two
>slots.
>All are 512s, PC3200 400DDR.
>
>The other issue system has (4) ss Crucial PC3200 400DDR sticks and it reads
>them all.
>
>I'm confused, to say the least
>
>Ranay

trainman:

I think the BIOS is F9 on both boards.
I have had GigaRAID working on one of the systems.
Using IDE 3, the hdds were set up as master/slave.
The optical drives (dvd-master / cdrw-slave) were on IDE 2.
The zip and cdrom were not attached to anything.
W2k loaded fine as well as Symantec programs, and a wiper program.
It worked that way for about 2 boot ups.
I couldn't get it to boot again without an error message.

The other system is waiting patiently for 4 new memory sticks and 2 new
hdds.
I figured I'll get at least one to work by the end of the week.
I need to get back to work on some drafting.
Then I'll see what I can do about the other.

During their heyday and with Abit boards ;-)
System 1 was used for graphics and drafting and system 2 for audio/video.

Been a bit quite around here for awhile.

I'll let you know.

Ranay

"Ranay" wrote:
> [...]
>  > >
>  > >Memory issue:
>  > >
>  > >The system described above has the following memory
>  > >(4) single sided Crucial 512MB PC3200 400 DDR sticks.
>  > >It works flawlessly.
>  > >The issue system has this:
>  > >The manual notes that ds or ss sticks work in the
> first two slots and
> only
>  > >ss sticks work in the second two slots.
>  > >I found a couple of double sided Crucial 512s from
> Newegg
>  > >So I used ds Crucial in the first two slots and ss
> Crucial in the second
> two
>  > >slots.
>  > >All are 512s, PC3200 400DDR.
>  > >
>  > >The other issue system has (4) ss Crucial PC3200

Try this:
In the bios: under intergrated something, turn the SATA controler to
the option that allows for six IDE devices. then go to Advanced BIOS
features, and go to Hard Drive boot priority order, and set the one
with the OS to be number 1 (Make sure it’s a Serial ATA drive. Else,
make sure that windows was installed with a raid controller on it for
the IDE drives.)

Boot into windows.

Relax for a second, while it detects the new raid controller.

Install the drivers. (It should find them automaticlly, or get them
from windows update.)

Restart

Enjoy.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigabyte-GA-7N400-Pro2-recognizing-hdds-issue-ftopict56834.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=286221

darcmarc:

None of my drives are sata, they're all ide.
(about 2 teragig worth)
The bios on both boards has nothing like what you're describing.
That did not work.
Interestingly, when I put any drive on IDE 1 (cds or dvds) they post all
scrambled up and will not work.
I have replaced the ide drives with new ones and still nothing.
I can get them to read on ide 3, but when loading w2k I get an error
message.

This is very frustrating.
I built a system about 6 months ago in 1 day that is just like these ... and
it's running perfectly.

A bit of good news ... New memory sticks (2gb) all read now.

Ranay

TRENDING THREADS