Gigabyte GA-7VAX Mother board and Sempron 3000+ (Barton Co..

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 5, 2005 4:25:54 PM

Hello :

I'm something of a neophyte with building. I purchased this mother board, a
new case, and an Athlon 1800 some years ago and have had trouble free
service fom it. Recently I added some additional RAM (512) K in one strip
and purchased a Sempron 3000+ (Barton Core) from Newegg. Upon installation
it briefly recognized the chip as unidentified and from that point on
nothing. the machine would turn on but not boot, I couldn't get to the bios
settings and it would turn off the power to the monitor shile continuing to
run the fans on the processor,the AGP fan and the AGB Graphics card. Putting
the old chip back in made everything work fine.

Gigabyte support pages and their tech support line indicate that the
Motherboard should work with the latest version of the bios which I had
downloaded. It is currently responding with Version 13.

Newegg has graciously agreed to replace the processor with another of the
same type. I'm reluctant to try again when the replacement arrives and
would like to know if in fact the Barton Core 3000+ Sempron will work.
Gigabyte implies that it will on their website support pages. If the
Processor absolutely won't work I will not open the container on the new
processor and will try to sell it. Alternatively I suppose I could get
another MB that will support this processor.

My thanks to all who respond,

Robert
June 8, 2005 4:08:03 AM

GigaByte website shows that Bios F15 is necessary for the Sempron
processor. Also, see page 5 "Memory" section of recent manual. To run
333 FSB requires DDR 333 speed memory modules.

--
/s/ Timothy I. McCrory
mailto:timccr48-news@spammyyahoo.com

"Tyranny has no enemy so formidable as the pen."
William Cobbett

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely
believe they are free."
Goethe

"If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose
its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or
money that it values more, it will lose that too."
Somerset Maugham

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression.
In both instances there is a twilight when everything remains
seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all
must be most aware of change in the air - however slight -
lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness."
Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas
June 9, 2005 10:33:21 PM

My mistake in my previous post. Thought I had read GA-7VAXP, not 7VAX.
Not paying attention apparently.

--
/s/ Timothy I. McCrory
mailto:timccr48-news@spammyyahoo.com

"Tyranny has no enemy so formidable as the pen."
William Cobbett

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely
believe they are free."
Goethe

"If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose
its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or
money that it values more, it will lose that too."
Somerset Maugham

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression.
In both instances there is a twilight when everything remains
seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all
must be most aware of change in the air - however slight -
lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness."
Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 11, 2005 4:35:22 AM

Robert Clark wrote:
> Hello :
>
> I'm something of a neophyte with building. I purchased this mother board, a
> new case, and an Athlon 1800 some years ago and have had trouble free
> service fom it. Recently I added some additional RAM (512) K in one strip
> and purchased a Sempron 3000+ (Barton Core) from Newegg. Upon installation
> it briefly recognized the chip as unidentified and from that point on
> nothing. the machine would turn on but not boot, I couldn't get to the bios
> settings and it would turn off the power to the monitor shile continuing to
> run the fans on the processor,the AGP fan and the AGB Graphics card. Putting
> the old chip back in made everything work fine.
>
> Gigabyte support pages and their tech support line indicate that the
> Motherboard should work with the latest version of the bios which I had
> downloaded. It is currently responding with Version 13.
>
> Newegg has graciously agreed to replace the processor with another of the
> same type. I'm reluctant to try again when the replacement arrives and
> would like to know if in fact the Barton Core 3000+ Sempron will work.
> Gigabyte implies that it will on their website support pages. If the
> Processor absolutely won't work I will not open the container on the new
> processor and will try to sell it. Alternatively I suppose I could get
> another MB that will support this processor.
>
> My thanks to all who respond,
>
> Robert

When I had a 7VAX board I had to set the multiplier manually, the jumper
setting for auto didn't do the job. Just a thought.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0523-6, 09/06/2005
Tested on: 11/06/2005 00:35:23