Unrecognised Portable Hard Drive

I have an IBM PC running XP PRO and service pac 2 with a 40 gig hard drive .
I purchased a Maxtor 80 gig (PS3100) portable hard drive. When I plug it into
a USB my IBM PC says that it is an unrecognise device. When I plug it into my
toshiba lap top it works and I can access the portable drive over my home
network from my IBM PC and read, write etc. to the drive. The speed is slow
through my router 10 meg rather than the 460 meg(?) with USB 2.
My USB ports work with other devices - flash drives, camera card reader, my
mouse.. I have uninstalled the USB controllers and reinstalled them - no
change. I uninstalled service pac 2 - no change. i reinstalled service pac 2
- no change. IBM wants me to return my PC to as was from the factory. This is
a major pain as I have paid for and downloaded several programs .
Any help or recomendations would be helpful
3 answers Last reply
More about unrecognised portable hard drive

    wrs wrote:
    > I have an IBM PC running XP PRO and service pac 2 with a 40 gig hard
    > drive . I purchased a Maxtor 80 gig (PS3100) portable hard drive.
    > When I plug it into a USB my IBM PC says that it is an unrecognise
    > device. When I plug it into my toshiba lap top it works and I can
    > access the portable drive over my home network from my IBM PC and
    > read, write etc. to the drive. The speed is slow through my router 10
    > meg rather than the 460 meg(?) with USB 2.
    > My USB ports work with other devices - flash drives, camera card
    > reader, my mouse.. I have uninstalled the USB controllers and
    > reinstalled them - no change. I uninstalled service pac 2 - no
    > change. i reinstalled service pac 2 - no change. IBM wants me to
    > return my PC to as was from the factory. This is a major pain as I
    > have paid for and downloaded several programs .
    > Any help or recomendations would be helpful

    It might be a problem of power available at the USB port. If the drive
    can be externally powered, try that. If it has one of those dual USB
    cables where the small-diameter cable supplies additional power, connect
    that one to the laptop (running!) and see if the drive is recognized on
    the other computer.

    The Maxtor drive is powered externally and it came with only the power cables
    and a cable to connect to the USB with the small plug to go into the Maxtor
    drive. I have checked to driver and both computers seem to have the same
    version of usbstor. (is there somewhere on the tower case that a sharp tap
    with a hammer would help - it might help my frustration)
    wrs

    "Quaoar" wrote:

    > wrs wrote:
    > > I have an IBM PC running XP PRO and service pac 2 with a 40 gig hard
    > > drive . I purchased a Maxtor 80 gig (PS3100) portable hard drive.
    > > When I plug it into a USB my IBM PC says that it is an unrecognise
    > > device. When I plug it into my toshiba lap top it works and I can
    > > access the portable drive over my home network from my IBM PC and
    > > read, write etc. to the drive. The speed is slow through my router 10
    > > meg rather than the 460 meg(?) with USB 2.
    > > My USB ports work with other devices - flash drives, camera card
    > > reader, my mouse.. I have uninstalled the USB controllers and
    > > reinstalled them - no change. I uninstalled service pac 2 - no
    > > change. i reinstalled service pac 2 - no change. IBM wants me to
    > > return my PC to as was from the factory. This is a major pain as I
    > > have paid for and downloaded several programs .
    > > Any help or recomendations would be helpful
    >
    > It might be a problem of power available at the USB port. If the drive
    > can be externally powered, try that. If it has one of those dual USB
    > cables where the small-diameter cable supplies additional power, connect
    > that one to the laptop (running!) and see if the drive is recognized on
    > the other computer.

    Not every USB device is compatible with every USB port. Check with Maxtor
    so as to see which USB level the drive is compatible with (USB 2.0, 1,1 or
    1.0). Then, check with IBM to see which USB level the ports is using. I
    have seen several USB 2.0 devices that ONLY work on USB 2.0 ports.

    "wrs" <wrs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The Maxtor drive is powered externally and it came with only the power
    > cables
    > and a cable to connect to the USB with the small plug to go into the
    > Maxtor
    > drive. I have checked to driver and both computers seem to have the same
    > version of usbstor. (is there somewhere on the tower case that a sharp tap
    > with a hammer would help - it might help my frustration)
    > wrs
    >
    > "Quaoar" wrote:
    >
    >> wrs wrote:
    >> > I have an IBM PC running XP PRO and service pac 2 with a 40 gig hard
    >> > drive . I purchased a Maxtor 80 gig (PS3100) portable hard drive.
    >> > When I plug it into a USB my IBM PC says that it is an unrecognise
    >> > device. When I plug it into my toshiba lap top it works and I can
    >> > access the portable drive over my home network from my IBM PC and
    >> > read, write etc. to the drive. The speed is slow through my router 10
    >> > meg rather than the 460 meg(?) with USB 2.
    >> > My USB ports work with other devices - flash drives, camera card
    >> > reader, my mouse.. I have uninstalled the USB controllers and
    >> > reinstalled them - no change. I uninstalled service pac 2 - no
    >> > change. i reinstalled service pac 2 - no change. IBM wants me to
    >> > return my PC to as was from the factory. This is a major pain as I
    >> > have paid for and downloaded several programs .
    >> > Any help or recomendations would be helpful
    >>
    >> It might be a problem of power available at the USB port. If the drive
    >> can be externally powered, try that. If it has one of those dual USB
    >> cables where the small-diameter cable supplies additional power, connect
    >> that one to the laptop (running!) and see if the drive is recognized on
    >> the other computer.

Portable Hard Drive USB IBM Windows XP