Newbie Problems: ArcadeVGA Drivers

Hi Group

My mame project is slowly taking shape and am not at the tech bit and
have hit a pretty major hurdle.

Unfortunately I have having trouble installing the drivers for the
ArcadVGA. I am currently running Windows 2000.

The install shield program states that it is going to setup however
nothing further happens and I assume that the drivers are not then
installed. This I believe was confirmed when I hooked up my mame setup
to my arcade cabinet and got no picture, not even a boot screen
despite Windows booting correctly (the start music came on).

The real pain is that when I go back to using Windows through a
monitor I have to switch graphics cards.

Is this a case of forcing the drivers to be installed? Or have I done
something wrong?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Ric

Ric wrote on 27. February 2005:

> My mame project is slowly taking shape and am not at the tech bit and
> have hit a pretty major hurdle.
>
> Unfortunately I have having trouble installing the drivers for the
> ArcadVGA. I am currently running Windows 2000.

Sure you need them?

> The install shield program states that it is going to setup however
> nothing further happens and I assume that the drivers are not then
> installed. This I believe was confirmed when I hooked up my mame setup
> to my arcade cabinet and got no picture, not even a boot screen
> despite Windows booting correctly (the start music came on).

Any hints in the system panel for hardware?

> The real pain is that when I go back to using Windows through a
> monitor I have to switch graphics cards.
>
> Is this a case of forcing the drivers to be installed? Or have I done
> something wrong?

You can probably use different driver profiles. Didn't do much with
Windows lately, but you could do this in the past.
--
By(e) Andreas

Hi

I am pretty sure you need these drivers owing to the different sync outputs.

Since I am getting no picture I think that there is no recognition of the hardware.

Cheers

Ric

Hey there again

Forcing the drivers was not a good idea, it corrupted WIN2k, so I have
started from scratch installing XP.

I have hooked up the arcade cabinet using a JPAC and have installed
the ArcadeVGA card into the computer and have not tried to install the
drivers.

I initially plugged the ArcadeVGA from the plug on the card to the
JPAC and had no luck. Then I used the main monitor plug and that did
not work either.

I then tried using the standard 4MB card that comes with the computer
to see if there the JPAC was causing the issue. I got the bios screen
on the cabinet and the computer booted although could not handle the
resolution. Therefore I think the JPAC is working fine.

I tried the ArcadeVGA again with no luck. All through the process the
SYNC OK LED stays off.

Sorry to be a pain however do you have any more ideas? Could the Card
itself be faulty? Is there a way to check?

Cheers

Ric Lewin

Ric wrote on 01. March 2005:

> Hey there again
>
> Forcing the drivers was not a good idea, it corrupted WIN2k, so I have
> started from scratch installing XP.
>
> I have hooked up the arcade cabinet using a JPAC and have installed
> the ArcadeVGA card into the computer and have not tried to install the
> drivers.
>
> I initially plugged the ArcadeVGA from the plug on the card to the
> JPAC and had no luck. Then I used the main monitor plug and that did
> not work either.
>
> I then tried using the standard 4MB card that comes with the computer
> to see if there the JPAC was causing the issue. I got the bios screen
> on the cabinet and the computer booted although could not handle the
> resolution. Therefore I think the JPAC is working fine.
>
> I tried the ArcadeVGA again with no luck. All through the process the
> SYNC OK LED stays off.
>
> Sorry to be a pain however do you have any more ideas? Could the Card
> itself be faulty? Is there a way to check?

The card itself seems to work. May be it's just that you need a special
"driver" for the monitor? And/or have settings options for the card
itself? If the driver for the card is loaded but not leads to a picture
on the monitor it might help to boot to safe mode (getting into standard
VGA mode) and playing around with its settings?
--
By(e) Andreas