Install 2 x SATA Drives on ICH5R (GA8KNXP Rev2)

System specs:
- Gigabyte GA-8KNXP (REV 2.0); FJ BIOS
- DPS2 is installed
- Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1 mb L2 Cache, Hyper Threading On
- Windows XP SP2
- Kingston HyperX RAM, 1GB Dual Pack (2x512) PC3200 DDR 400
- ATI Radeon 9600 XT Graphics
- Enhance 400W Power Supply
- Silicon Image (Raid 0) Runs 2 x 75Gb Western Digital Raptor SATA Hard
Drives (System Disk)
- Pioneer 107d DVD Burner (IDE 1 - Master)
- Liteon 5238s CD-RW (IDE 2 - Master)

I would like to connect 2 WD 250gb SATA drives to the ICH5R but not in a
raid configuration. When I connect the drives the bios detects them but I
lose the Raptors with the OS. I have tried looking in the boot sequence and
the 250's are there an no Raptors to select. As the boot continues it
finishes asking for CD. and stops...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Lionel B Evans wrote:
> I would like to connect 2 WD 250gb SATA drives to the ICH5R but not
> in a raid configuration. When I connect the drives the bios detects
> them but I lose the Raptors with the OS. I have tried looking in the
> boot sequence and the 250's are there an no Raptors to select. As the
> boot continues it finishes asking for CD. and stops...

Did you install the Intel SATA RAID drivers via F6 prior to Windoze
installation?

Travis Jordan wrote:
> Did you install the Intel SATA RAID drivers via F6 prior to Windoze
> installation?

Also, how are the drives connected?

SATA0_SII/SATA1_SII is controlled by the Sil3112 controller, and
SATA0_SB/SATA_SB connectors is controlled by the SATA controller on the
ICH5R

I don't think I installed the intel drivers - is there a way of checking?
The existing Raptors are on the SATA0_SII/SATA1_SII connectors an running
with OS. Another question I have is in the bios FJ I do not have the option
of selecting which SCSI/Raid Controller to select in the boot order in
advanced bios? I am thinking perhaps you have to F6 all three of the drivers
before you get that option. I know I installed Silicon and Giga drivers but
did at no time get the Scsi/Raid choice.
Thanks for your time and help.

"Travis Jordan" wrote:
>Travis Jordan wrote:
>> Did you install the Intel SATA RAID drivers via F6 prior to Windoze
>> installation?
>
>Also, how are the drives connected?
>
>SATA0_SII/SATA1_SII is controlled by the Sil3112 controller, and
>SATA0_SB/SATA_SB connectors is controlled by the SATA controller on
>the
>ICH5R

I missed the install of the Intel raid drivers but got the Silicon and
Gigabit
drivers. The Raptors are set up on the Sil3112. I spose this means I
need to do a complete reinstall to pick up the Intel drivers? Is there
any easy way of getting around that? Also the bios FJ and even going
back has never given me the option of selecting which controller to
use as the preferred boot option in Advanced settings.

Thanks for your help.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigabyte-Install-SATA-Drives-ICH5R-GA8KNXP-Rev2-ftopict57024.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=286705

Stoddart wrote:
> I missed the install of the Intel raid drivers but got the Silicon and
> Gigabit drivers. The Raptors are set up on the Sil3112. I spose this
> means I need to do a complete reinstall to pick up the Intel drivers?
> Is there any easy way of getting around that?

Not that I know of, sorry.

"Stoddart" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> "Travis Jordan" wrote:
>>Travis Jordan wrote:
>>> Did you install the Intel SATA RAID drivers via F6 prior to Windoze
>>> installation?
>>
>>Also, how are the drives connected?
>>
>>SATA0_SII/SATA1_SII is controlled by the Sil3112 controller, and
>>SATA0_SB/SATA_SB connectors is controlled by the SATA controller on
>>the
>>ICH5R
>
> I missed the install of the Intel raid drivers but got the Silicon and
> Gigabit
> drivers. The Raptors are set up on the Sil3112. I spose this means I
> need to do a complete reinstall to pick up the Intel drivers? Is there
> any easy way of getting around that? Also the bios FJ and even going
> back has never given me the option of selecting which controller to
> use as the preferred boot option in Advanced settings.

You do not need to reinstall Windows to have the drives recognized by the
OS. I know because I did it, though on the ICH5R controller. You may find
the ICH5R controller a better alternative unless you are using it for
something else or have other reasons for selecting Sil3112 instead.

1. Remove the drive cables from the Sil3112 and download Intel IAA (ICH5R)
drivers obtained either from the GB or Intel site.

2. Disable Sil3112 in your bios.

3. Enable "On-chip" SATA and the RAID function directly under it in your
bios. Don't worry that you will not be using it in a RAID array, as ICH5R
will run two separate drives perfectly well. Once RAID is enabled and the
drivers loaded you will be able to slip into RAID very easily at a later
date if you wish.

4. Having the drivers ready on a floppy disk, boot into XP and wait for it
to recognize the new hardware.

5. When it asks for a driver location point to the floppy.

This worked fine for me with a single Raptor, and I later added another for
RAID0. I have not tried this with the Sil3112 controller, but I assume it
would work as well by substituting the Sil3112 "on-board" SATA in your bios
instead of ICH5R and have the appropriate drivers for that controller ready
on the floppy.

"Bob Davis" wrote:
> "Stoddart" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in
> message
> > "Travis Jordan" wrote:
>  >>Travis Jordan wrote:
>   >>> Did you install the Intel SATA RAID drivers
> via F6 prior to Windoze
>   >>> installation?
>  >>
>  >>Also, how are the drives connected?
>  >>
>  >>SATA0_SII/SATA1_SII is controlled by the Sil3112
> controller, and
>  >>SATA0_SB/SATA_SB connectors is controlled by the SATA
> controller on
>  >>the
>  >>ICH5R
> >
> > I missed the install of the Intel raid drivers but got the
> Silicon and
> > Gigabit
> > drivers. The Raptors are set up on the Sil3112. I spose this
> means I
> > need to do a complete reinstall to pick up the Intel
> drivers? Is there
> > any easy way of getting around that? Also the bios FJ and
> even going
> > back has never given me the option of selecting which
> controller to
> > use as the preferred boot option in Advanced settings.
>
> You do not need to reinstall Windows to have the drives
> recognized by the
> OS. I know because I did it, though on the ICH5R controller.
> You may find
> the ICH5R controller a better alternative unless you are using
> it for
> something else or have other reasons for selecting Sil3112
> instead.
>
> 1. Remove the drive cables from the Sil3112 and download
> Intel IAA (ICH5R)
> drivers obtained either from the GB or Intel site.
>
> 2. Disable Sil3112 in your bios.
>
> 3. Enable "On-chip" SATA and the RAID function directly under
> it in your
> bios. Don't worry that you will not be using it in a RAID
> array, as ICH5R
> will run two separate drives perfectly well. Once RAID is
> enabled and the
> drivers loaded you will be able to slip into RAID very easily
> at a later
> date if you wish.
>
> 4. Having the drivers ready on a floppy disk, boot into XP
> and wait for it
> to recognize the new hardware.
>
> 5. When it asks for a driver location point to the floppy.
>
> This worked fine for me with a single Raptor, and I later
> added another for
> RAID0. I have not tried this with the Sil3112 controller, but
> I assume it
> would work as well by substituting the Sil3112 "on-board" SATA
> in your bios
> instead of ICH5R and have the appropriate drivers for that
> controller ready
> on the floppy.

This sounds great. I have a few reservations though. Firstly I can’t
seem to find where to disable the Sil3112, even under advanced
settings. I have noticed in other posts that some have had the option
of selecting/disabling any of the 3 controllers for the boot order but
I haven’t got that option (only boot to hard drive, cd etc). I also
am concerned that Intel IAA will be compatible with the Raid 0 setup
of the 2x Raptors with the operating system on. It may be that the IAA
will ask me to make a new Raid setup to be compatible with it?
I am heading back out to work (Mining) for the next 2 weeks and then I
will be back and give your suggestions a crack. I am preparing for a
full reinstall just in case and will keep you posted on the eventual
outcome. If you can shed some light on the disable of the Sil3112. In
the manual it shows me the selections for the boot order but I don’t
have it. I have been updating the bios as they have been coming out
but I have never had that particular option?
Thanks again for your help.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigabyte-Install-SATA-Drives-ICH5R-GA8KNXP-Rev2-ftopict57024.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=287020

> "Bob Davis" wrote:
> > You do not need to reinstall Windows to have the drives
> > recognized by the
> > OS. I know because I did it, though on the ICH5R controller.
> > You may find
> > the ICH5R controller a better alternative unless you are using
> > it for
> > something else or have other reasons for selecting Sil3112
> > instead.
> >
> > 1. Remove the drive cables from the Sil3112 and download
> > Intel IAA (ICH5R)
> > drivers obtained either from the GB or Intel site.
> >
> > 2. Disable Sil3112 in your bios.
> >
> > 3. Enable "On-chip" SATA and the RAID function directly under
> > it in your
> > bios. Don't worry that you will not be using it in a RAID
> > array, as ICH5R
> > will run two separate drives perfectly well. Once RAID is
> > enabled and the
> > drivers loaded you will be able to slip into RAID very easily
> > at a later
> > date if you wish.
> >
> > 4. Having the drivers ready on a floppy disk, boot into XP
> > and wait for it
> > to recognize the new hardware.
> >
> > 5. When it asks for a driver location point to the floppy.
> >
> > This worked fine for me with a single Raptor, and I later
> > added another for
> > RAID0. I have not tried this with the Sil3112 controller, but
> > I assume it
> > would work as well by substituting the Sil3112 "on-board" SATA
> > in your bios
> > instead of ICH5R and have the appropriate drivers for that
> > controller ready
> > on the floppy.
>
> This sounds great. I have a few reservations though. Firstly I can’t
> seem to find where to disable the Sil3112, even under advanced
> settings.

Both are located under the Integrated Peripherals section. The Sil3112
controller is selectible as "Onboard H/W SATA," and you should set it to
"disabled." Here are the settings to enable ICH5R:

On-Chip SATA: Manual
SATA Port0 configuration: Port 0
SATA RAID function: RAID

Have your IAA drivers ready on a floppy and boot into XP, which will prompt
you after seeing the new hardware.

> I have noticed in other posts that some have had the option
> of selecting/disabling any of the 3 controllers for the boot order but
> I haven’t got that option (only boot to hard drive, cd etc).

In my bios v13a, above the boot order (first, second, etc.) is an option
called "Hard Disk Boot Priority" (manual shows this option as
"SCSI/SATA/RAID Boot Order"). Select your RAID array from this list. Mine
shows up as "SCSI0: Intel RAID_Volume1".

> I also am concerned that Intel IAA will be compatible with the Raid 0
> setup
> of the 2x Raptors with the operating system on. It may be that the IAA
> will ask me to make a new Raid setup to be compatible with it?

1. Back up data on original XP disk.

2. Set up the ICH5R RAID controller by following the steps above from an
earlier message. Make sure boot order (first, second, etc.) and HD Boot
Priority is set correctly.

3. Boot into XP and let it install the new hardware using the drivers on the
floppy. There are four files:

IASTOR.SYS
IASTOR.INF
IASTOR.CAT
TXTSETUP.OEM

4. Attach the two Raptors to the ICH5R controller (while powered down), then
reboot. Enter the RAID bios when it appears and set up the array.

5. Restore from the cloned third drive or back-up image. I can't say how
to restore a backup from another source other than Norton Ghost.

6. Boot into XP. For me this worked without any issues, although you may
get one or more weird messages on the first boot only. Ignore them, reboot,
and they should not reoccur. Every time I restore from a clone I get these
messages on the first boot into XP.

When you enable ICH5R + RAID in the bios, at the next boot you will see the
RAID screen pop up after POST. You will hit the key(s) requested to enter,
then follow the procedure to create a RAID0 array. It should be
self-explanatory except for stripe size, which is configurable. I have
mine set to 128k, although my setting reflects my priority for large file
transfers. If you do a lot of photo or video editing, or otherwise moving
large files around, set it here. Otherwise, you might consider 64k or lower
instead. Lower numbers will probably give better benchmarks, but that may
not be a reflection of the real world. There is plenty of info about this
on the Web, so do some research and set it where it best applies to your
work. Try a Google search on "RAID stripe size" and you'll get more hits
than you'll want to read.

When you set up the array, I don't think it will create it from the info
already on a single drive, as it may instead destroy the data on the
original drive, so back up everything!
I used Norton Ghost to clone the original, then restored to the array. See
below for the procedure I followed.

> I am preparing for a full reinstall just in case and will keep you posted
> on the eventual
> outcome.

That's smart. Always plan on a worst-case scenario, and that way you're
covered. You shouldn't need to do a full reinstall, though, if you back
your system up reliably. I can attest that Norton Ghost 2003 worked fine
for me using this procedure:

1. Clone to a third drive. To be safe, do it to a fourth for a second
backup.

2. Set up your array.

3. Partition the array using FDISK (WinME or later version). Ghost showed
the array grayed out and not selectable before partitioning.

4. Boot into the Ghost floppy.

5. Restore the clone onto the new array.

At that point WinXP booted into the new array. It sounds complicated, but
it was really very straight-forward for me.

"Bob Davis" wrote:
> [...]
>
> That's smart. Always plan on a worst-case scenario, and that
> way you're
> covered. You shouldn't need to do a full reinstall, though,
> if you back
> your system up reliably. I can attest that Norton Ghost 2003
> worked fine
> for me using this procedure:
>
> 1. Clone to a third drive. To be safe, do it to a fourth for
> a second
> backup.
>
> 2. Set up your array.
>
> 3. Partition the array using FDISK (WinME or later version).
> Ghost showed
> the array grayed out and not selectable before partitioning.
>
> 4. Boot into the Ghost floppy.
>
> 5. Restore the clone onto the new array.
>
> At that point WinXP booted into the new array. It sounds
> complicated, but
> it was really very straight-forward for me.

Thanks Bob,

I am grateful for the help, sadly though I am not at your level of
skill or confident enough to follow the method you have outlined. I am
glad that it worked for your self. I stumbled through my first setup
but the information you helped with has given me a better
understanding of how it all works. I will go for a clean install using
the ICH5R as the initial controller (2 x Raptors) as you recommended
and once I get that up and running I will install the 2 x 250gb SATA’s
on the Sil3112.

Thankyou again for your help.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigabyte-Install-SATA-Drives-ICH5R-GA8KNXP-Rev2-ftopict57024.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=291964