USB Jump Drive

I've recently picked up a lexar traveller jumpdrive for the office to
back up some accounting software and take it off site. My problem is
when I plug it into the computer I need it to work on, nothing happens.
as if it wasn't ever plugged in. the computer is running WinXP home, SP1.
When I go to plug it in another computer running winxp, it works. And
when I plug in a different device (Mouse, Digital Camera), The computer
recognizes it right away.
Any insight would be appreciated.

P.S. The jumpdrive works on both usb 1.1 and 2.0.

"William Pelletier" <wpelletier@mts.net> wrote in message
> I've recently picked up a lexar traveller jumpdrive for the office to back
> up some accounting software and take it off site. My problem is when I
> plug it into the computer I need it to work on, nothing happens. as if it
> wasn't ever plugged in. the computer is running WinXP home, SP1.
> When I go to plug it in another computer running winxp, it works. And when
> I plug in a different device (Mouse, Digital Camera), The computer
> recognizes it right away.
> Any insight would be appreciated.
>
> P.S. The jumpdrive works on both usb 1.1 and 2.0.

Some drives just don't work on some computers.

I don't know if it's the fault of the computer or the drive, but I've run
into it number of time. Another brand will work just fine.

I've also got one computer that won't see the USB stick if it's plugged into
the computer, but it works fine on a USB hub. Not that it makes any sense at
all, but...

Rather than fighting with it, you might be best off trying another brand.
Some things just aren't worth trying to figure out.

William Pelletier wrote:
> I've recently picked up a lexar traveller jumpdrive for the office to
> back up some accounting software and take it off site. My problem is
> when I plug it into the computer I need it to work on, nothing
> happens. as if it wasn't ever plugged in. the computer is running
> WinXP home, SP1. When I go to plug it in another computer running
> winxp, it works. And when I plug in a different device (Mouse,
> Digital Camera), The computer recognizes it right away.
> Any insight would be appreciated.
>
> P.S. The jumpdrive works on both usb 1.1 and 2.0.

The USB connector on that drive might not be quite long enough to mate
with the port connectors. Take a look at the length of the USB
connectors on devices that work compared to this drive connector. This
is a problem with the design of USB ports on a very, very few older
computers.

William Pelletier wrote:
> I've recently picked up a lexar traveller jumpdrive for the office to
> back up some accounting software and take it off site. My problem is
> when I plug it into the computer I need it to work on, nothing happens.
> as if it wasn't ever plugged in. the computer is running WinXP home, SP1.
> When I go to plug it in another computer running winxp, it works. And
> when I plug in a different device (Mouse, Digital Camera), The computer
> recognizes it right away.
> Any insight would be appreciated.
>
> P.S. The jumpdrive works on both usb 1.1 and 2.0.
Added a usb hub I had laying around. works now. Thanks all.

Correct me if I'm wrong; but didn't your Jump Drive come with software?
Drivers for the device? Did you go to to Lexar's website and try to dowload a
driver?

"William Pelletier" wrote:

> I've recently picked up a lexar traveller jumpdrive for the office to
> back up some accounting software and take it off site. My problem is
> when I plug it into the computer I need it to work on, nothing happens.
> as if it wasn't ever plugged in. the computer is running WinXP home, SP1.
> When I go to plug it in another computer running winxp, it works. And
> when I plug in a different device (Mouse, Digital Camera), The computer
> recognizes it right away.
> Any insight would be appreciated.
>
> P.S. The jumpdrive works on both usb 1.1 and 2.0.

Try a USB extension cable. Sometimes the drive and a particular computer
just don't quite mesh, and a different plug will solve it.