which 939 boards are going to support AMD64 X2?

As the topic says, which gigabyte s939 boards are going to suport the X2
chip?

TIA

M.
8 answers Last reply
More about which boards support amd64

    M. Parsons wrote:
    > As the topic says, which gigabyte s939 boards are going to suport the X2
    > chip?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > M.

    If Gigabyte designed their 939 mobos the way AMD specified,
    theoretically all of them should be able to run X2 processors with a
    BIOS upgrade.

    -Rick

    "M. Parsons" <novalidemail@configuredforthismachine.ca> wrote in message
    > As the topic says, which gigabyte s939 boards are going to suport the X2
    > chip?
    >
    > TIA

    AMD have the GA-K8NXP-9 and SLI boards listed as compatiable, with BIOS
    upgrade.

    Rick M. wrote:
    > M. Parsons wrote:
    >
    >> As the topic says, which gigabyte s939 boards are going to suport the
    >> X2 chip?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> M.
    >

    > If Gigabyte designed their 939 mobos the way AMD specified,
    > theoretically all of them should be able to run X2 processors with a
    > BIOS upgrade.
    >

    > -Rick

    Am I just being pessimistic, or does that sound like the 'older' nforce3
    s939 owners are going to get screwed over?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    > Rick M. wrote:
    >> M. Parsons wrote:
    >>
    >>> As the topic says, which gigabyte s939 boards are going to suport the X2
    >>> chip?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> M.
    >>

    >> If Gigabyte designed their 939 mobos the way AMD specified, theoretically
    >> all of them should be able to run X2 processors with a BIOS upgrade.
    >>

    >> -Rick
    >
    > Am I just being pessimistic, or does that sound like the 'older' nforce3
    > s939 owners are going to get screwed over?

    even if the 'could' would they?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    M. Parsons wrote:

    >> If Gigabyte designed their 939 mobos the way AMD specified,
    >> theoretically all of them should be able to run X2 processors with a
    >> BIOS upgrade.
    >>

    >> -Rick
    >

    > Am I just being pessimistic, or does that sound like the 'older' nforce3
    > s939 owners are going to get screwed over?

    Mmmm...... Being a nForce3/s939 owner myself, I too am wondering if a
    BIOS upgrade will be made available for my GA-K8NS-Ultra 939 that
    supports X2 processors, however I'm not stressing out over it simply
    because I intend to go to a San Diego core on this mobo anyway. The way
    I figure it, the last mobo I want to stick an X2 proc in is an AGP/PCI
    mobo, and I'll probably go to a newer nforce4/PCIe mobo anyway. I
    mean, if we're talking an $800+ processor, what's the big deal with a
    new mobo? Of course, I already planned to sell this system off to a
    friend who is a Protools reseller who needs a new demo system anyway.

    -Rick

    "I don't sell *used* hardware. I sell only *preconditioned/pretested*
    hardware"
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    ChangeGuy wrote:

    >>>If Gigabyte designed their 939 mobos the way AMD specified, theoretically
    >>>all of them should be able to run X2 processors with a BIOS upgrade.
    >>>

    >>>-Rick
    >>
    >>Am I just being pessimistic, or does that sound like the 'older' nforce3
    >>s939 owners are going to get screwed over?
    >

    > even if the 'could' would they?

    Well, let me put it this way. I recently emailed Gigabyte to see if
    they were going to provide a BIOS upgrade for my mobo which supports
    Venice/San Diego cores. Their response wasn't the most reasurring, but
    they did state they had their BIOS engineer looking into it. 4 days
    later they actually did release a BIOS update. So far, they seem to be
    offering decent support for their 939 mobos, although they don't seem to
    be as quick to make public announcements of their intentions to do so
    like Asus or MSI. This tends to make some people a little nervous, but
    AFAICS, they do seem to support their mobos rather well.

    -Rick
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    I have a K8NS Ultra 939 and I emailed Gigabyte directly on this and here (
    as I quote ) was their reply: "Our technicians working on a bios revision
    which will make your board compatible with upcoming x2 chips."

    "M. Parsons" <novalidemail@configuredforthismachine.ca> wrote in message
    > As the topic says, which gigabyte s939 boards are going to suport the X2
    > chip?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > M.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    M. Parsons wrote:
    > As the topic says, which gigabyte s939 boards are going to suport the X2
    > chip?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > M.
    On the olther hand, just think how "cheap" regular Athlon64 CPUs will
    get once the X2 hits its retail stride. The Athlon64 have dropped
    precipitously since their introduction last year. Even with 1 core, its
    no slouch in performance. I plan to pick up the "last" and fastest
    Athlon64 when the price plummets.

    And also build a X2 system with pci-e then just for the hell of it! ;-)

Gigabyte Support Chip Motherboards