GA-7N400 Pro2 Rev 2.0 - CPU Speed with XP2700+

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2005 10:03:02 PM

In trying to configure the MOBO to run an AMD XP2700+ (FSB 333). The
best I've been able to do is manually configure the bios FSB frequency
at 150 and leave everything else at AUTO. In this configuration the
system comes up and reports a XP2400 at POST and is stable.

Setting the FSB Frequency in BIOS to what I believe is the correct
setting of 166 (half 333) just freezes up the system at reboot with the
AUTO settings. In fact, anything over 153 tends to freeze up the system
after some time of running.

I'm currently using two DDR-400 PC3200 1024MB chips from PowerMemory and
the POST confirms DDR Dual Channel Enabled.

Any suggestion on how to proceed. Do I need to set the multiplier
manually to get this to work with the BIOS FSB Frequency set at 166?
What should the multiplier be set to if that's the case and how does one
calculate that number?

tm
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2005 11:45:18 PM

"t mccool" <tjmcwiz@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> In trying to configure the MOBO to run an AMD XP2700+ (FSB 333). The
> best I've been able to do is manually configure the bios FSB frequency at
> 150 and leave everything else at AUTO. In this configuration the system
> comes up and reports a XP2400 at POST and is stable.
>
> Setting the FSB Frequency in BIOS to what I believe is the correct setting
> of 166 (half 333) just freezes up the system at reboot with the AUTO
> settings. In fact, anything over 153 tends to freeze up the system after
> some time of running.
>
> I'm currently using two DDR-400 PC3200 1024MB chips from PowerMemory and
> the POST confirms DDR Dual Channel Enabled.
>
> Any suggestion on how to proceed. Do I need to set the multiplier manually
> to get this to work with the BIOS FSB Frequency set at 166? What should
> the multiplier be set to if that's the case and how does one calculate
> that number?
>
> tm

Just got one of those boards.

To run the 2700XP Model 8:
CLK_SW to 'ON'
CLK_RATIO switches to 13X (OOXOXO)
BIOS to 166 MHz

So you have the CPU at 13*166=2158
The memory is 166*2 with your DDR memory PC2700.

I never did figure out what AUTO is for in CLK_RATIO.

Jim
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 11, 2005 2:17:08 AM

henny wrote:
> "t mccool" <tjmcwiz@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>
>>In trying to configure the MOBO to run an AMD XP2700+ (FSB 333). The
>>best I've been able to do is manually configure the bios FSB frequency at
>>150 and leave everything else at AUTO. In this configuration the system
>>comes up and reports a XP2400 at POST and is stable.
>>
>>Setting the FSB Frequency in BIOS to what I believe is the correct setting
>>of 166 (half 333) just freezes up the system at reboot with the AUTO
>>settings. In fact, anything over 153 tends to freeze up the system after
>>some time of running.
>>
>>I'm currently using two DDR-400 PC3200 1024MB chips from PowerMemory and
>>the POST confirms DDR Dual Channel Enabled.
>>
>>Any suggestion on how to proceed. Do I need to set the multiplier manually
>>to get this to work with the BIOS FSB Frequency set at 166? What should
>>the multiplier be set to if that's the case and how does one calculate
>>that number?
>>
>>tm
>>

> Just got one of those boards.
>
> To run the 2700XP Model 8:
> CLK_SW to 'ON'
> CLK_RATIO switches to 13X (OOXOXO)
> BIOS to 166 MHz
>
> So you have the CPU at 13*166=2158
> The memory is 166*2 with your DDR memory PC2700.
>
> I never did figure out what AUTO is for in CLK_RATIO.
>
> Jim

Thanks for the information --- with it I was able to set the BIOS FSB to
166 but couldn't get my OS to run stable at setting CLK_RATIO to 13. Had
to drop down to 12. Don't know if this is a memory problem or just a
heat problem now.

tm
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 11, 2005 3:40:07 AM

> henny wrote:
>> "t mccool" <tjmcwiz@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>In trying to configure the MOBO to run an AMD XP2700+ (FSB 333). The
>>>best I've been able to do is manually configure the bios FSB frequency at
>>>150 and leave everything else at AUTO. In this configuration the system
>>>comes up and reports a XP2400 at POST and is stable.
>>>
>>>Setting the FSB Frequency in BIOS to what I believe is the correct
>>>setting of 166 (half 333) just freezes up the system at reboot with the
>>>AUTO settings. In fact, anything over 153 tends to freeze up the system
>>>after some time of running.
>>>
>>>I'm currently using two DDR-400 PC3200 1024MB chips from PowerMemory and
>>>the POST confirms DDR Dual Channel Enabled.
>>>
>>>Any suggestion on how to proceed. Do I need to set the multiplier
>>>manually to get this to work with the BIOS FSB Frequency set at 166? What
>>>should the multiplier be set to if that's the case and how does one
>>>calculate that number?
>>>
>>>tm
>>>

>> Just got one of those boards.
>>
>> To run the 2700XP Model 8:
>> CLK_SW to 'ON'
>> CLK_RATIO switches to 13X (OOXOXO)
>> BIOS to 166 MHz
>>
>> So you have the CPU at 13*166=2158
>> The memory is 166*2 with your DDR memory PC2700.
>>
>> I never did figure out what AUTO is for in CLK_RATIO.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> Thanks for the information --- with it I was able to set the BIOS FSB to
> 166 but couldn't get my OS to run stable at setting CLK_RATIO to 13. Had
> to drop down to 12. Don't know if this is a memory problem or just a heat
> problem now.
>
> tm

Gee it is interesting that the board does not run at rated speed for the
2700 XP.
If it is bothering you consider:
Moving the memory voltage up a 0.1 volts.
Using CTRL-F1 and setting the memory CAS to 3.

JIM
!