GA-7VT600P-RZ & XP-M 2600+ = problem!

Hello,

I hope someone is able to help me! I have the above mentioned components,
and cannot get the XP-M 2600+ to be recognised as such in this board. It
gets recognised as an Athlon XP 600MHz... I have tried changing the FSB
settings, but I cannot set the FSB above 132MHz anyway, despite having set
the jumper on the SW1 switch to Auto. Running EasyTune 5 does not solve
anything (although it does recognise that the CPU's highest running
potential is 2800MHz - don't intend to overclock that far, though!), and I
get freezes at (usually) anything over an FSB of 122MHz. The BIOS is up to
date (F5) and I have tried resetting it a few times now under different
configurations.

Does the 7VT600P-RZ have a problem with recognising the Mobile CPUs? I had
heard this may be the case, and particularly with the 2600+ - I am hoping
someone can confirm or deny, or (better yet) be able to help me cure the
problem? If not, I guess I will have to try a fully-fledged XP CPU (don't
particularly want to go for a Sempron), so the names of any recommended
retailers (who are in/will send to the UK) would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance, and thanks for reading.

"Technicolor Violet" <revolgrrrlNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I hope someone is able to help me! I have the above mentioned components,
> and cannot get the XP-M 2600+ to be recognised as such in this board. It
> gets recognised as an Athlon XP 600MHz... I have tried changing the FSB
> settings, but I cannot set the FSB above 132MHz anyway, despite having set
> the jumper on the SW1 switch to Auto. Running EasyTune 5 does not solve
> anything (although it does recognise that the CPU's highest running
> potential is 2800MHz - don't intend to overclock that far, though!), and I
> get freezes at (usually) anything over an FSB of 122MHz. The BIOS is up to
> date (F5) and I have tried resetting it a few times now under different
> configurations.
>
> Does the 7VT600P-RZ have a problem with recognising the Mobile CPUs? I had
> heard this may be the case, and particularly with the 2600+ - I am hoping
> someone can confirm or deny, or (better yet) be able to help me cure the
> problem? If not, I guess I will have to try a fully-fledged XP CPU (don't
> particularly want to go for a Sempron), so the names of any recommended
> retailers (who are in/will send to the UK) would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance, and thanks for reading.

Since there is no such thing as 'Athlon XP 600MHz', I wonder what recognized
that.
Host Clock Control to ENABLE
Host Frequency to 133MHz
SW1 on AUTO
PC 2100 memory or faster.

EZ Tune should report about 2000MHz.

Host freq X 2 =FSB freq

X2 comes from using DDR memory.

> Since there is no such thing as 'Athlon XP 600MHz', I wonder what
> recognized that.

Your guess is as good as mine!

> Host Clock Control to ENABLE
> Host Frequency to 133MHz
> SW1 on AUTO
> PC 2100 memory or faster.
>
> EZ Tune should report about 2000MHz.
>
> Host freq X 2 =FSB freq
>
> X2 comes from using DDR memory.

Here comes the rub: I can't set the FSB to anything higher than 132MHz in
the BIOS (and yes, SW1 is set to Auto and Host Clock Control is enabled). I
have 1GB of PC3200 memory so that would be okay if only I could get the CPU
to run to its proper speed!

However, thank you for your reply. :)

Technicolor Violet wrote:
>>Since there is no such thing as 'Athlon XP 600MHz', I wonder what
>>recognized that.
>

> Your guess is as good as mine!
>

>>Host Clock Control to ENABLE
>>Host Frequency to 133MHz
>>SW1 on AUTO
>>PC 2100 memory or faster.
>>
>>EZ Tune should report about 2000MHz.
>>
>>Host freq X 2 =FSB freq
>>
>>X2 comes from using DDR memory.
>

> Here comes the rub: I can't set the FSB to anything higher than 132MHz in
> the BIOS (and yes, SW1 is set to Auto and Host Clock Control is enabled). I
> have 1GB of PC3200 memory so that would be okay if only I could get the CPU
> to run to its proper speed!
>
> However, thank you for your reply. :)

I have one of these boards which has worked succesfully with (non
Mobile) 2600+ and 3200+ CPUs. If you do have JP1 on Auto then there is
nothing else to do. The BIOS options in Frequency/Voltage control are
for overclocking and should normally be left on Auto. However it
concerns me that you can only get to 132 - it suggests that the auto on
JP1 is returning the wrong value (100 MHz). Refer to page 33 in your
manual. I therefore suspect your initial guess that the mobile CPU is
causing the problem is correct. AFAIK, no BIOS updates for this board
are concerned with CPU identification, except for Semprons, so it's not
that either, although flashing to F5 won't hurt all the same. Did you
buy the mobile chip for overclocking or what? If so there are better
boards for this job. Are you able to get hold of any other Athlon CPU
to verify that the board has no fault?

Ian.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0523-8, 11/06/2005
Tested on: 11/06/2005 22:49:10

> I have one of these boards which has worked succesfully with (non Mobile)
> 2600+ and 3200+ CPUs. If you do have JP1 on Auto then there is nothing
> else to do. The BIOS options in Frequency/Voltage control are for
> overclocking and should normally be left on Auto. However it concerns me
> that you can only get to 132 - it suggests that the auto on JP1 is
> returning the wrong value (100 MHz). Refer to page 33 in your manual. I
> therefore suspect your initial guess that the mobile CPU is causing the
> problem is correct. AFAIK, no BIOS updates for this board are concerned
> with CPU identification, except for Semprons, so it's not that either,
> although flashing to F5 won't hurt all the same. Did you buy the mobile
> chip for overclocking or what? If so there are better boards for this
> job. Are you able to get hold of any other Athlon CPU to verify that the
> board has no fault?

Well, I've bitten the bullet and ordered an XP3000+ (non-mobile, of
course!). I had no access to other CPUs, so I am hoping getting a non-mobile
chip will work, and that someone else can make better use of the 2600+
mobile than I can. I bought that simply because it was available to my
limited cash supply at the time (wasn't working then; I am now). I don't
intend to do hardcore overclocking, at least not for the forseeable future -
let's get the thing running to capacity first! This is my first build so I
didn't expect everything to run smoothly straight away. :)

"Technicolor Violet" <revolgrrrlNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
.....>
> Well, I've bitten the bullet and ordered an XP3000+ (non-mobile, of
> course!). I had no access to other CPUs, so I am hoping getting a
> non-mobile chip will work, and that someone else can make better use of
> the 2600+ mobile than I can. I bought that simply because it was
> available to my limited cash supply at the time (wasn't working then; I
> am now). I don't intend to do hardcore overclocking, at least not for the
> forseeable future - let's get the thing running to capacity first! This
> is my first build so I didn't expect everything to run smoothly straight
> away. :)

just one warning - using the 'advanced performance' feature in the sys bios
very likely makes the board unstable/freezing. these feature overclocks
every bus by around 10%

be warned...

--
Avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0524-2, 15/06/2005

"Steve K" <nospam@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
> just one warning - using the 'advanced performance' feature in the sys
> bios very likely makes the board unstable/freezing. these feature
> overclocks every bus by around 10%
>
> be warned...

Thanks for that - wasn't intending to use such settings (don't dabble in the
unkonwn, etc ;)) but it's nice to have some clarification. Right, just have
to wait for the CPU to arive now!

Fish

I have a GA-7VT600P-RZ with an Athlon XP2000 and 1.25 GB RAM and have
been having exactly the same problem with the CPU being unable to
reach full potential.

Despite the JP1 or SW1 switch (it has 2 different names in the manual)
being set to auto and despite the manual's claim to allow for the CPU
host frequency going up to 254MHz, it just doesn't work. And as you
may be aware, there are other people out there that seem to be having
the same problem - regardless of the CPU type.

I am interested to see how you ended up with your new CPU, and how you
got it up to full speed.

I know this forum began a few months ago, so a reply would really be
appreciated. :D