USB port

I plug my pda into a USB port of my pc and the data transfer and battery
charging are working correctly. Today, I plug to another USB port on the
same pc. The pc treats it as a new device and asking for driver location.
It seems I need to reinstall it from the beginning. I switch back to the
port I previously used and everything works as normal. Can someone advise
why it happens and how to avoid repeat the installation of the drivers.

Thanks,

Ray
3 answers Last reply
More about port

    Each port is a worlds of its own. Use the same port or
    install it again.

    "Ray" <NoSpam-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> wrote in message
    |I plug my pda into a USB port of my pc and the data
    transfer and battery
    | charging are working correctly. Today, I plug to another
    USB port on the
    | same pc. The pc treats it as a new device and asking for
    driver location.
    | It seems I need to reinstall it from the beginning. I
    switch back to the
    | port I previously used and everything works as normal.
    Can someone advise
    | why it happens and how to avoid repeat the installation of
    the drivers.

    | Thanks,
    |
    | Ray

    Jim,

    Oh! Thanks for your advice. Do I need to uninstall the driver before I
    move to another port and reinstall the driver?

    Ray

    > Each port is a worlds of its own. Use the same port or
    > install it again.
    >

    > "Ray" <NoSpam-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> wrote in message
    > |I plug my pda into a USB port of my pc and the data
    > transfer and battery
    > | charging are working correctly. Today, I plug to another
    > USB port on the
    > | same pc. The pc treats it as a new device and asking for
    > driver location.
    > | It seems I need to reinstall it from the beginning. I
    > switch back to the
    > | port I previously used and everything works as normal.
    > Can someone advise
    > | why it happens and how to avoid repeat the installation of
    > the drivers.
    > |
    > | Thanks,
    > |
    > | Ray

    Not really, it will just duplicate. Sometimes USB will
    cease to work, the fix is similar for many Windows problems,
    use the Device manager to remove the hardware and reboot.
    This clears the corrupted drivers and the device is detected
    as "new" and the correct drivers are installed by plug and
    play.

    "Ray" <NoSpam-ray.ck.li@Gmail.com> wrote in message
    | Jim,
    |
    | Oh! Thanks for your advice. Do I need to uninstall the
    driver before I
    | move to another port and reinstall the driver?
    |
    | Ray

    in message
    | > Each port is a worlds of its own. Use the same port or
    | > install it again.
    | >

    | > "Ray" <NoSpam-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> wrote in message
    | > |I plug my pda into a USB port of my pc and the data
    | > transfer and battery
    | > | charging are working correctly. Today, I plug to
    another
    | > USB port on the
    | > | same pc. The pc treats it as a new device and asking
    for
    | > driver location.
    | > | It seems I need to reinstall it from the beginning. I
    | > switch back to the
    | > | port I previously used and everything works as normal.
    | > Can someone advise
    | > | why it happens and how to avoid repeat the
    installation of
    | > the drivers.
    | > |
    | > | Thanks,