Setting the search path for driver files

I would like to be able to download drivers (from hp for example). Place
these files into a folder of there own, and get windows XP to know that it
needs to look at this folder when you install the driver. Any idea how to do
this?

Cheers!
4 answers Last reply
More about setting search path driver files

    XP has a default folder "DOWNLOADS". Within that folder, create a subfolder
    "DRIVERS" then within that, another folder "HP"
    When you download a driver, you are asked where you want to download it to -
    you do not have to accept the default. Use "browse" to select where you want
    it to go (in this instance, the folder C:\Downloads\Drivers\HP)

    Alternatively, from within "browse" you can go to the parent folder, and
    create a new folder there (see the little icons) i.e you could browse to
    C:\Downloads\Drivers, then create a new folder)

    Most drivers come in selfextracting form. The general idea is that you click
    on the downloaded driver to automatically update your system. This avoids
    the need to get XP to go looking, which can be a pain. Should
    re-installation be necessary - delete the corrupt driver, re-install by
    double-clicking the download.

    Hope this helps - Len.

    "Richard Mills" <Richard Mills@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to be able to download drivers (from hp for example). Place
    > these files into a folder of there own, and get windows XP to know that it
    > needs to look at this folder when you install the driver. Any idea how to
    > do
    > this?
    >
    > Cheers!

    Ah, now realising that I didn't explain myself very well previously. I want
    to be able to download the drivers and extract them to a folder called
    c:\drivers\lj1300 for example. Add the printer so that it's available in the
    list of printers, but when XP looks for the location for the drivers, get it
    to look at the this folder, not the cd rom etc. Not sure that it's take easy
    to pre-define the install source location if it's not one of the four that XP
    uses by default. (cd rom, hard disk (search paths only I guess) floppy or
    windows update.

    Thanks for the feedback though, much appreciated.

    Cheers

    Richard

    "yabbadoo" wrote:

    > XP has a default folder "DOWNLOADS". Within that folder, create a subfolder
    > "DRIVERS" then within that, another folder "HP"
    > When you download a driver, you are asked where you want to download it to -
    > you do not have to accept the default. Use "browse" to select where you want
    > it to go (in this instance, the folder C:\Downloads\Drivers\HP)
    >
    > Alternatively, from within "browse" you can go to the parent folder, and
    > create a new folder there (see the little icons) i.e you could browse to
    > C:\Downloads\Drivers, then create a new folder)
    >
    > Most drivers come in selfextracting form. The general idea is that you click
    > on the downloaded driver to automatically update your system. This avoids
    > the need to get XP to go looking, which can be a pain. Should
    > re-installation be necessary - delete the corrupt driver, re-install by
    > double-clicking the download.
    >
    > Hope this helps - Len.
    >
    > "Richard Mills" <Richard Mills@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I would like to be able to download drivers (from hp for example). Place
    > > these files into a folder of there own, and get windows XP to know that it
    > > needs to look at this folder when you install the driver. Any idea how to
    > > do
    > > this?
    > >
    > > Cheers!

    Richard, your concern appears to be with printer drivers only. Are you aware
    that XP comes with a very comprehensive database of printer drivers? Which
    means, if a "new" printer is connected, and you don't/cannot insert the
    installation CD, the correct (or generic) driver is usually already there,
    and installs automatically.

    I don't know any way to circumvent the "self-extract" routine of a
    downloaded driver, which automatically installs where it's actually needed,
    (described in original reply) in order to extract to a user-defined location
    (which is what you seem to want). Nor do I understand why you would need to
    (unless it's last para below).

    I have 5 different printers set as printer options, all correctly loaded
    from installation CD's (and drivers updated automatically from either XP
    automatic update, or (active) printer mfr website. Any one of the 5 can be
    set as active, without need to re-install drivers.

    My understanding is you want flexibility of choice between printers - if so,
    just connect and install them one by one (using installation CD's if poss,
    to get all the individual printer utilities), after which it's just a case
    of making the currently connected printer "active" in the "printers" folder.

    Just occured to me, which might explain why you want to over-ride XP - if
    you have USB printers, ALWAYS use the SAME USB port to connect the printer
    lead. Changing connection port "fools" XP into thinking it's new hardware
    installation, since each USB port has a different address which is integral
    to installation set-up.

    Hope this helps! Sincerely, Len (wide open to correction from more
    knowledgable contributors)

    > Ah, now realising that I didn't explain myself very well previously. I
    > want
    > to be able to download the drivers and extract them to a folder called
    > c:\drivers\lj1300 for example. Add the printer so that it's available in
    > the
    > list of printers, but when XP looks for the location for the drivers, get
    > it
    > to look at the this folder, not the cd rom etc. Not sure that it's take
    > easy
    > to pre-define the install source location if it's not one of the four that
    > XP
    > uses by default. (cd rom, hard disk (search paths only I guess) floppy or
    > windows update.
    >
    > Thanks for the feedback though, much appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Richard
    >
    > "yabbadoo" wrote:
    >
    >> XP has a default folder "DOWNLOADS". Within that folder, create a
    >> subfolder
    >> "DRIVERS" then within that, another folder "HP"
    >> When you download a driver, you are asked where you want to download it
    >> to -
    >> you do not have to accept the default. Use "browse" to select where you
    >> want
    >> it to go (in this instance, the folder C:\Downloads\Drivers\HP)
    >>
    >> Alternatively, from within "browse" you can go to the parent folder, and
    >> create a new folder there (see the little icons) i.e you could browse to
    >> C:\Downloads\Drivers, then create a new folder)
    >>
    >> Most drivers come in selfextracting form. The general idea is that you
    >> click
    >> on the downloaded driver to automatically update your system. This avoids
    >> the need to get XP to go looking, which can be a pain. Should
    >> re-installation be necessary - delete the corrupt driver, re-install by
    >> double-clicking the download.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps - Len.
    >>
    >> "Richard Mills" <Richard Mills@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >> >I would like to be able to download drivers (from hp for example).
    >> >Place
    >> > these files into a folder of there own, and get windows XP to know that
    >> > it
    >> > needs to look at this folder when you install the driver. Any idea how
    >> > do
    >> > this?
    >> >
    >> > Cheers!

    it's very doable. we do it so our drivers for all our standard PC
    components are on the installation share, and windows looks through
    them to autobuild correctly.
    on a standalone, go into regedit and press F3. search for
    "sourcepath". you can change where windows looks for windows
    components (if installed off CD, it's the i386 folder on D) and on the
    next line, you can change the default location for drivers.
    hope this helps
    ric

Windows XP