Weird problem with K8NS-Ultra 9 and SP2 install on XP Pro US

For some reason it is a problem to install SP2 on this board.

I am using the si3512 sata controller. I have tried both nvidia lan
and marvel lan.

I use the newest drivers from giga-byte site.

I am aware to uninstal antivirus and antispyware software before
running SP2 install.

The windows XP I install on has been made with this new motherboard
after a repair install of OS (previous Nforce2). Now Nforce3 ultra.
All newest drivers have been installed in this order: chipset, lan,
audio, graphics.

I take a backup image just before SP2 install.

After install I reach login and then: blue screen and dump of memory,
reboot, safe mode does not help.

Any hints ?

It is just a feeling I have: I should go with pata instead.
(radeon 9550 graphics and newest catalyst drivers)

best regards

John
1 answer Last reply
More about weird problem k8ns ultra install

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:23:00 +0200, JK <johnknuhtsenSP@Mmail.dk>
    wrote:

    >For some reason it is a problem to install SP2 on this board.
    >
    >I am using the si3512 sata controller. I have tried both nvidia lan
    >and marvel lan.
    >
    >I use the newest drivers from giga-byte site.
    >
    >I am aware to uninstal antivirus and antispyware software before
    >running SP2 install.
    >
    >The windows XP I install on has been made with this new motherboard
    >after a repair install of OS (previous Nforce2). Now Nforce3 ultra.
    >All newest drivers have been installed in this order: chipset, lan,
    >audio, graphics.
    >
    >I take a backup image just before SP2 install.
    >
    >After install I reach login and then: blue screen and dump of memory,
    >reboot, safe mode does not help.
    >
    >Any hints ?
    >
    >It is just a feeling I have: I should go with pata instead.
    >(radeon 9550 graphics and newest catalyst drivers)

    Well, I succeeded.

    Maybe the problem was thermical. I turned off fan regulation in bios
    (cool&quiet).

    I am now using the sil3512 controller, nvidia lan. Fast booting, no
    problem so far.

    best regards

    John

Gigabyte Windows XP Motherboards