Why are my IDE drives SCSI?

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have 2 hard drives and 2 cd drives and all are IDE. But when I look at the
properties of all 4 drives they all say SCSI.
I have the usual set up HD1 is in location 0 primary master HD2 is in
location 1 primary slave
CD1 is in location 0 secondary master CD2 is in location 1 secondary slave.

Is this something I should worry about? I thought IDE is better than SCSI?
Does anyone know how I can change them back to IDE?

thanks

Gary

BTW: This is off topic! SCSI is much better than IDE. SCSI can handle
multiple commands to multiple drives at the same time. IDE must stop all
reads/writes if you are trying to access the second drive on the IDE channel
(Master or Slave drives).

"Gary" <toemagic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 hard drives and 2 cd drives and all are IDE. But when I look at
>the properties of all 4 drives they all say SCSI.
> I have the usual set up HD1 is in location 0 primary master HD2 is in
> location 1 primary slave
> CD1 is in location 0 secondary master CD2 is in location 1 secondary
> slave.
>
> Is this something I should worry about? I thought IDE is better than SCSI?
> Does anyone know how I can change them back to IDE?
>
> thanks
>
> Gary

It is NOT referring the physical interface BUT rather the commands
controlling the device.

--
Jonah
"Gary" <toemagic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 hard drives and 2 cd drives and all are IDE. But when I look at
>the properties of all 4 drives they all say SCSI.
> I have the usual set up HD1 is in location 0 primary master HD2 is in
> location 1 primary slave
> CD1 is in location 0 secondary master CD2 is in location 1 secondary
> slave.
>
> Is this something I should worry about? I thought IDE is better than SCSI?
> Does anyone know how I can change them back to IDE?
>
> thanks
>
> Gary

bar

IDE stands for Integrated Drive Electronics. This refers to a type of hard
disk drive and thus an interface [or connector] for that type of device.

SCSI stands for Small Computer Systems Interface. This refers to a type of
hard disk drive and thus an interface [or connector] for that type of device.

AN IDE device cannot connect to a SCSI interface and vice versa.

There is no way BIOS or Windows could confuse the two device types.

A SCSI disk drive typically has a faster data transfer rate compared with an
IDE drive of the same time period. As with IDE [EIDE] both standards have
seen increases in performance since their introduction.

SCSI disks are standard in most 'intel' Servers and RISC servers and Apple
PCs!

"Sleepless in Seattle" wrote:

> It is NOT referring the physical interface BUT rather the commands
> controlling the device.
>
> --
> Jonah
> "Gary" <toemagic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have 2 hard drives and 2 cd drives and all are IDE. But when I look at
> >the properties of all 4 drives they all say SCSI.
> > I have the usual set up HD1 is in location 0 primary master HD2 is in
> > location 1 primary slave
> > CD1 is in location 0 secondary master CD2 is in location 1 secondary
> > slave.
> >
> > Is this something I should worry about? I thought IDE is better than SCSI?
> > Does anyone know how I can change them back to IDE?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Gary

That information is fine, but not revelant to the situation. If you hook an IDE hard drive to an
add-in controller such as a Promise card the drive will appear in the Device Manager as SCSI not
IDE, this is normal behavior (Why, I don't know but this is the way they appear). The origianl
posters motherboard may have an imbedded controller chipset that may do the same thing as I have
seen many motherboard with a promise chip on the board itself.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

> IDE stands for Integrated Drive Electronics. This refers to a type of hard
> disk drive and thus an interface [or connector] for that type of device.
>
> SCSI stands for Small Computer Systems Interface. This refers to a type of
> hard disk drive and thus an interface [or connector] for that type of device.
>
> AN IDE device cannot connect to a SCSI interface and vice versa.
>
> There is no way BIOS or Windows could confuse the two device types.
>
> A SCSI disk drive typically has a faster data transfer rate compared with an
> IDE drive of the same time period. As with IDE [EIDE] both standards have
> seen increases in performance since their introduction.
>
> SCSI disks are standard in most 'intel' Servers and RISC servers and Apple
> PCs!
>

> "Sleepless in Seattle" wrote:
>
>> It is NOT referring the physical interface BUT rather the commands
>> controlling the device.
>>
>> --
>> Jonah
>> "Gary" <toemagic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I have 2 hard drives and 2 cd drives and all are IDE. But when I look at
>> >the properties of all 4 drives they all say SCSI.
>> > I have the usual set up HD1 is in location 0 primary master HD2 is in
>> > location 1 primary slave
>> > CD1 is in location 0 secondary master CD2 is in location 1 secondary
>> > slave.
>> >
>> > Is this something I should worry about? I thought IDE is better than SCSI?
>> > Does anyone know how I can change them back to IDE?
>> >
>> > thanks
>> >
>> > Gary

Sandman

Right on, Mr. Vair, i had this very same unusual situation in XP when I
hooked my IDE to the connector..... It took me forever to get an
explanation. Nice to know there are knowledgeable people like yourself to
very simply explain this anomaly; it was an a7v Asus board I had awhile back
as I remember it...

Gary wrote:

>I have 2 hard drives and 2 cd drives and all are IDE. But when I look at the
>properties of all 4 drives they all say SCSI.
>I have the usual set up HD1 is in location 0 primary master HD2 is in
>location 1 primary slave

This arises when a drive has an added extra driver file - such as the
cdfs one for CD drives, which normally show as SCSI. It is odd for a
plain hard drive though.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

So, does that mean I haven't got a problem then?