Why are my IDE drives SCSI?

I have 2 hard drives and 2 cd drives and all are IDE. But when I look at the
properties of all 4 drives they all say SCSI.
I have the usual set up HD1 is in location 0 primary master HD2 is in
location 1 primary slave
CD1 is in location 0 secondary master CD2 is in location 1 secondary slave.

Is this something I should worry about? I thought IDE is better than SCSI?
Does anyone know how I can change them back to IDE?

thanks

Gary
7 answers Last reply
More about drives scsi

    BTW: This is off topic! SCSI is much better than IDE. SCSI can handle
    multiple commands to multiple drives at the same time. IDE must stop all
    reads/writes if you are trying to access the second drive on the IDE channel
    (Master or Slave drives).

    "Gary" <toemagic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have 2 hard drives and 2 cd drives and all are IDE. But when I look at
    >the properties of all 4 drives they all say SCSI.
    > I have the usual set up HD1 is in location 0 primary master HD2 is in
    > location 1 primary slave
    > CD1 is in location 0 secondary master CD2 is in location 1 secondary
    > slave.
    >
    > Is this something I should worry about? I thought IDE is better than SCSI?
    > Does anyone know how I can change them back to IDE?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Gary

    It is NOT referring the physical interface BUT rather the commands
    controlling the device.

    --
    Jonah
    "Gary" <toemagic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have 2 hard drives and 2 cd drives and all are IDE. But when I look at
    >the properties of all 4 drives they all say SCSI.
    > I have the usual set up HD1 is in location 0 primary master HD2 is in
    > location 1 primary slave
    > CD1 is in location 0 secondary master CD2 is in location 1 secondary
    > slave.
    >
    > Is this something I should worry about? I thought IDE is better than SCSI?
    > Does anyone know how I can change them back to IDE?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Gary

    IDE stands for Integrated Drive Electronics. This refers to a type of hard
    disk drive and thus an interface [or connector] for that type of device.

    SCSI stands for Small Computer Systems Interface. This refers to a type of
    hard disk drive and thus an interface [or connector] for that type of device.

    AN IDE device cannot connect to a SCSI interface and vice versa.

    There is no way BIOS or Windows could confuse the two device types.

    A SCSI disk drive typically has a faster data transfer rate compared with an
    IDE drive of the same time period. As with IDE [EIDE] both standards have
    seen increases in performance since their introduction.

    SCSI disks are standard in most 'intel' Servers and RISC servers and Apple
    PCs!

    "Sleepless in Seattle" wrote:

    > It is NOT referring the physical interface BUT rather the commands
    > controlling the device.
    >
    > --
    > Jonah
    > "Gary" <toemagic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have 2 hard drives and 2 cd drives and all are IDE. But when I look at
    > >the properties of all 4 drives they all say SCSI.
    > > I have the usual set up HD1 is in location 0 primary master HD2 is in
    > > location 1 primary slave
    > > CD1 is in location 0 secondary master CD2 is in location 1 secondary
    > > slave.
    > >
    > > Is this something I should worry about? I thought IDE is better than SCSI?
    > > Does anyone know how I can change them back to IDE?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > Gary

    That information is fine, but not revelant to the situation. If you hook an IDE hard drive to an
    add-in controller such as a Promise card the drive will appear in the Device Manager as SCSI not
    IDE, this is normal behavior (Why, I don't know but this is the way they appear). The origianl
    posters motherboard may have an imbedded controller chipset that may do the same thing as I have
    seen many motherboard with a promise chip on the board itself.
    --
    Dave Vair
    CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

    > IDE stands for Integrated Drive Electronics. This refers to a type of hard
    > disk drive and thus an interface [or connector] for that type of device.
    >
    > SCSI stands for Small Computer Systems Interface. This refers to a type of
    > hard disk drive and thus an interface [or connector] for that type of device.
    >
    > AN IDE device cannot connect to a SCSI interface and vice versa.
    >
    > There is no way BIOS or Windows could confuse the two device types.
    >
    > A SCSI disk drive typically has a faster data transfer rate compared with an
    > IDE drive of the same time period. As with IDE [EIDE] both standards have
    > seen increases in performance since their introduction.
    >
    > SCSI disks are standard in most 'intel' Servers and RISC servers and Apple
    > PCs!
    >

    > "Sleepless in Seattle" wrote:
    >
    >> It is NOT referring the physical interface BUT rather the commands
    >> controlling the device.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jonah
    >> "Gary" <toemagic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have 2 hard drives and 2 cd drives and all are IDE. But when I look at
    >> >the properties of all 4 drives they all say SCSI.
    >> > I have the usual set up HD1 is in location 0 primary master HD2 is in
    >> > location 1 primary slave
    >> > CD1 is in location 0 secondary master CD2 is in location 1 secondary
    >> > slave.
    >> >
    >> > Is this something I should worry about? I thought IDE is better than SCSI?
    >> > Does anyone know how I can change them back to IDE?
    >> >
    >> > thanks
    >> >
    >> > Gary

    Right on, Mr. Vair, i had this very same unusual situation in XP when I
    hooked my IDE to the connector..... It took me forever to get an
    explanation. Nice to know there are knowledgeable people like yourself to
    very simply explain this anomaly; it was an a7v Asus board I had awhile back
    as I remember it...

    Gary wrote:

    >I have 2 hard drives and 2 cd drives and all are IDE. But when I look at the
    >properties of all 4 drives they all say SCSI.
    >I have the usual set up HD1 is in location 0 primary master HD2 is in
    >location 1 primary slave

    This arises when a drive has an added extra driver file - such as the
    cdfs one for CD drives, which normally show as SCSI. It is odd for a
    plain hard drive though.

    So, does that mean I haven't got a problem then?

    "David Vair" <dvair@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
    > That information is fine, but not revelant to the situation. If you hook
    > an IDE hard drive to an add-in controller such as a Promise card the drive
    > will appear in the Device Manager as SCSI not IDE, this is normal behavior
    > (Why, I don't know but this is the way they appear). The origianl posters
    > motherboard may have an imbedded controller chipset that may do the same
    > thing as I have seen many motherboard with a promise chip on the board
    > itself.
    > --
    > Dave Vair
    > CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
    > Computer Education Services Corp. (CESC)
    >
    > "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> IDE stands for Integrated Drive Electronics. This refers to a type of
    >> hard
    >> disk drive and thus an interface [or connector] for that type of device.
    >>
    >> SCSI stands for Small Computer Systems Interface. This refers to a type
    >> of
    >> hard disk drive and thus an interface [or connector] for that type of
    >> device.
    >>
    >> AN IDE device cannot connect to a SCSI interface and vice versa.
    >>
    >> There is no way BIOS or Windows could confuse the two device types.
    >>
    >> A SCSI disk drive typically has a faster data transfer rate compared with
    >> an
    >> IDE drive of the same time period. As with IDE [EIDE] both standards
    >> have
    >> seen increases in performance since their introduction.
    >>
    >> SCSI disks are standard in most 'intel' Servers and RISC servers and
    >> Apple
    >> PCs!
    >>

    >> "Sleepless in Seattle" wrote:
    >>
    >>> It is NOT referring the physical interface BUT rather the commands
    >>> controlling the device.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Jonah
    >>> "Gary" <toemagic@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Hardware SCSI Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP