signal strength

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 13, 2005 8:24:58 PM

Hi just set a wireless network and moved one of the pcs into position
downstairs, the pc upstairs has a very good signal strength and the one
downstairs has low to no signal?

How can this be? they still work ok

More about : signal strength

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 8:24:59 PM

"c_bcan" wrote:
> Hi just set a wireless network and moved one of the pcs into position
> downstairs, the pc upstairs has a very good signal strength and the one
> downstairs has low to no signal?
>
> How can this be? they still work ok

This is possible. Concrete floor is a much harder obstacle for the signal
than walls.

--PA
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 12:31:41 AM

A quick note: antenna design also dictates how far the signal will travel
and for that matter: the signal strength. Most routers documentation I've
read recommend that you place the router on the upper levels since the
antennas provide better reception on the same level and degrade a little
moving down. Placing the router on a lower levels of a house is bad since
the signal doesn't travel well vertically.

--
Oliver
This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

!