Scanners and Cameras

The Scanners and Cameras Wizard in XP Professional does not work. I was able
to install an Epson Expression 4180 scanner on the XP Home OS without
problems. The device shows up correctly in the device manager. But on XP Pro
it shows up as an "Unknown" device and it does not work!!

Short of a reinstall (perhaps) has anyone encountered this and has a
solution? I've dugged through Microsoft's support site without success!!

Thanks
Callistus

Humm, XP was relased in fall of 2001, Scanner was designed and released
2004. Perhaps the installation of the drivers would cause it to be
recognized? You will need to follow the installation instructions if you
wish to use this equipment. You will most likely need to disconnect it,
remove all references to it in Device Manager, including Hidden ones and
then install it properly.

Callistus wrote:

> The Scanners and Cameras Wizard in XP Professional does not work. I was able
> to install an Epson Expression 4180 scanner on the XP Home OS without
> problems. The device shows up correctly in the device manager. But on XP Pro
> it shows up as an "Unknown" device and it does not work!!
>
> Short of a reinstall (perhaps) has anyone encountered this and has a
> solution? I've dugged through Microsoft's support site without success!!
>
> Thanks
> Callistus

Bob, thanks for the response.

I have gone through this process numerious times on XP Pro using the
manufacturer's instructions, calling the manufacturer who then referred me
to Microsoft, allowed the system to "do it's thing" by detecting the scanner
and setting it up, all without success.

The scanner name and modle shows correctly but under "unknown device".

If I try to add the scanner through the Scanner and Camera in Control Panel,
the wizard does not start...

I know there is nothing wrong with the scanner because it works on 2000 and
XP Home.

> Humm, XP was relased in fall of 2001, Scanner was designed and released
> 2004. Perhaps the installation of the drivers would cause it to be
> recognized? You will need to follow the installation instructions if you
> wish to use this equipment. You will most likely need to disconnect it,
> remove all references to it in Device Manager, including Hidden ones and
> then install it properly.
>
> Callistus wrote:
>
>> The Scanners and Cameras Wizard in XP Professional does not work. I was
>> able to install an Epson Expression 4180 scanner on the XP Home OS
>> without problems. The device shows up correctly in the device manager.
>> But on XP Pro it shows up as an "Unknown" device and it does not work!!
>>
>> Short of a reinstall (perhaps) has anyone encountered this and has a
>> solution? I've dugged through Microsoft's support site without success!!
>>
>> Thanks
>> Callistus

You may wish to brows thru the hits I generated here.

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3D1033&query=Scanner+and+Camera+Wizard