Gigabyte 81955X Royal Won't POST

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2005 8:03:45 AM

Hi all,

I just bought a Gigabyte 81955X Royal to replace an ancient 440BX based
system that finally gave up the ghost. As such, I have a bunch of brand
new parts that I have no real way to test in another system. I have
tried to assemble the following system:

GIGABYTE GA-8I955X Royal
Pentium D 830 (3.0ghz)
2x512mb Corsair 675mhz DDR2
ATI Radeon X800XL PCIE
Adaptec 29160 SCSI (leftover from old system)
PC Power and Cooling 450W Turbo-Cool (leftover from old system)
+ Panasonic 9585 DVD-RAM, Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM, Plextor 40Wide SCSI CDROM,
Maxtor Atlas 15K

Anyway, got it all hooked up tonight and the system won't POST. What is
the standard procedure for this board? There are no beeps, no video, no
indication of what is happening at all. The fans all spin properly and
the DPS system blinks (is there some way to tell what is happening from
those LEDs?). The LEDs on my optical drives blink on and off kind of
randomly, and don't seem to stop (it seems like they should stop
blinking fairly quickly, as the drives are empty).

Unfortunately, the box of the Pentium 830 was a little bit crushed on
the top (right where the processor was)-- not so bad that it seemed to
be an issue, especially since the pins are on the mobo, but that's the
only weird thing in all this.

Since this is a brand new system I really don't have any spare parts to
mess with (and don't know anyone who does). Can anyone give me any tips
of what to try now?

Thanks so much...

Justin

More about : gigabyte 81955x royal post

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2005 2:54:08 PM

Justin Scott wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just bought a Gigabyte 81955X Royal to replace an ancient 440BX based
> system that finally gave up the ghost. As such, I have a bunch of brand
> new parts that I have no real way to test in another system. I have
> tried to assemble the following system:
>
> GIGABYTE GA-8I955X Royal
> Pentium D 830 (3.0ghz)
> 2x512mb Corsair 675mhz DDR2
> ATI Radeon X800XL PCIE
> Adaptec 29160 SCSI (leftover from old system)
> PC Power and Cooling 450W Turbo-Cool (leftover from old system)
> + Panasonic 9585 DVD-RAM, Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM, Plextor 40Wide SCSI CDROM,
> Maxtor Atlas 15K
>
> Anyway, got it all hooked up tonight and the system won't POST. What is
> the standard procedure for this board? There are no beeps, no video, no
> indication of what is happening at all. The fans all spin properly and
> the DPS system blinks (is there some way to tell what is happening from
> those LEDs?). The LEDs on my optical drives blink on and off kind of
> randomly, and don't seem to stop (it seems like they should stop
> blinking fairly quickly, as the drives are empty).
>
> Unfortunately, the box of the Pentium 830 was a little bit crushed on
> the top (right where the processor was)-- not so bad that it seemed to
> be an issue, especially since the pins are on the mobo, but that's the
> only weird thing in all this.
>
> Since this is a brand new system I really don't have any spare parts to
> mess with (and don't know anyone who does). Can anyone give me any tips
> of what to try now?
>
> Thanks so much...
>
> Justin

In my case this kind of situation usually indicated an issue with the
video card.

Other possibilities is the processor or a wire shorting out someplace.

Also on first boot you should do so with a minimum of devices installed.
I would recommend pulling the SCSI adapter and the 9585 RAM drive for
first boot.

Good Luck.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 19, 2005 1:43:53 AM

sig666 wrote:
> Justin Scott wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just bought a Gigabyte 81955X Royal to replace an ancient 440BX
>> based system that finally gave up the ghost. As such, I have a bunch
>> of brand new parts that I have no real way to test in another system.
>> I have tried to assemble the following system:
>>
>> GIGABYTE GA-8I955X Royal
>> Pentium D 830 (3.0ghz)
>> 2x512mb Corsair 675mhz DDR2
>> ATI Radeon X800XL PCIE
>> Adaptec 29160 SCSI (leftover from old system)
>> PC Power and Cooling 450W Turbo-Cool (leftover from old system)
>> + Panasonic 9585 DVD-RAM, Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM, Plextor 40Wide SCSI CDROM,
>> Maxtor Atlas 15K
>>
>> Anyway, got it all hooked up tonight and the system won't POST. What
>> is the standard procedure for this board? There are no beeps, no
>> video, no indication of what is happening at all. The fans all spin
>> properly and the DPS system blinks (is there some way to tell what is
>> happening from those LEDs?). The LEDs on my optical drives blink on
>> and off kind of randomly, and don't seem to stop (it seems like they
>> should stop blinking fairly quickly, as the drives are empty).
>>
>> Unfortunately, the box of the Pentium 830 was a little bit crushed on
>> the top (right where the processor was)-- not so bad that it seemed to
>> be an issue, especially since the pins are on the mobo, but that's the
>> only weird thing in all this.
>>
>> Since this is a brand new system I really don't have any spare parts
>> to mess with (and don't know anyone who does). Can anyone give me any
>> tips of what to try now?
>>
>> Thanks so much...
>>
>> Justin
>

> In my case this kind of situation usually indicated an issue with the
> video card.
>
> Other possibilities is the processor or a wire shorting out someplace.
>
> Also on first boot you should do so with a minimum of devices installed.
> I would recommend pulling the SCSI adapter and the 9585 RAM drive for
> first boot.
>
> Good Luck.

I tried taking everything out of the system and adding things back in
one at a time.

With NOTHING installed except CPU, I got a long, continuous (although
kind of gurgly sounding) beep.

With CPU + video card, I got the same beep. (but no POST)

Once I put the RAM in the beeping stopped and it stayed at the no POST
symptom.

I am wondering if I got really unlucky and both sticks of RAM are
bad/incompatible with this board? (I bought the kind specifically
recommended at Corsair's site) I have tried each one individually in all
4 slots and it makes no difference.

Thanks for the reply... I'm still looking into options for testing other
components.
a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2005 1:55:21 AM

I am getting exactly the same problem on my board. Turns on, no video, no
post. Everything internal is ok. Only got RAM and video card on, nothing
else. Have also emailed GigaByte about this.

"Justin Scott" <jmscott42ZNOSPAMZ@ZNOSPAMZspamcop.net> wrote in message

> sig666 wrote:
>> Justin Scott wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I just bought a Gigabyte 81955X Royal to replace an ancient 440BX based
>>> system that finally gave up the ghost. As such, I have a bunch of brand
>>> new parts that I have no real way to test in another system. I have
>>> tried to assemble the following system:
>>>
>>> GIGABYTE GA-8I955X Royal
>>> Pentium D 830 (3.0ghz)
>>> 2x512mb Corsair 675mhz DDR2
>>> ATI Radeon X800XL PCIE
>>> Adaptec 29160 SCSI (leftover from old system)
>>> PC Power and Cooling 450W Turbo-Cool (leftover from old system)
>>> + Panasonic 9585 DVD-RAM, Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM, Plextor 40Wide SCSI
>>> CDROM,
>>> Maxtor Atlas 15K
>>>
>>> Anyway, got it all hooked up tonight and the system won't POST. What is
>>> the standard procedure for this board? There are no beeps, no video, no
>>> indication of what is happening at all. The fans all spin properly and
>>> the DPS system blinks (is there some way to tell what is happening from
>>> those LEDs?). The LEDs on my optical drives blink on and off kind of
>>> randomly, and don't seem to stop (it seems like they should stop
>>> blinking fairly quickly, as the drives are empty).
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, the box of the Pentium 830 was a little bit crushed on
>>> the top (right where the processor was)-- not so bad that it seemed to
>>> be an issue, especially since the pins are on the mobo, but that's the
>>> only weird thing in all this.
>>>
>>> Since this is a brand new system I really don't have any spare parts to
>>> mess with (and don't know anyone who does). Can anyone give me any tips
>>> of what to try now?
>>>
>>> Thanks so much...
>>>
>>> Justin
>>

>> In my case this kind of situation usually indicated an issue with the
>> video card.
>>
>> Other possibilities is the processor or a wire shorting out someplace.
>>
>> Also on first boot you should do so with a minimum of devices installed.
>> I would recommend pulling the SCSI adapter and the 9585 RAM drive for
>> first boot.
>>
>> Good Luck.
>
> I tried taking everything out of the system and adding things back in one
> at a time.
>
> With NOTHING installed except CPU, I got a long, continuous (although kind
> of gurgly sounding) beep.
>
> With CPU + video card, I got the same beep. (but no POST)
>
> Once I put the RAM in the beeping stopped and it stayed at the no POST
> symptom.
>
> I am wondering if I got really unlucky and both sticks of RAM are
> bad/incompatible with this board? (I bought the kind specifically
> recommended at Corsair's site) I have tried each one individually in all 4
> slots and it makes no difference.
>
> Thanks for the reply... I'm still looking into options for testing other
> components.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2005 5:43:29 AM

Mad Englishman wrote:
> "Justin Scott" <jmscott42ZNOSPAMZ@ZNOSPAMZspamcop.net> wrote in message
>

>>sig666 wrote:

>>>In my case this kind of situation usually indicated an issue with the
>>>video card.
>>>
>>>Other possibilities is the processor or a wire shorting out someplace.
>>>
>>>Also on first boot you should do so with a minimum of devices installed.
>>>I would recommend pulling the SCSI adapter and the 9585 RAM drive for
>>>first boot.
>>>
>>>Good Luck.
>>
>>I tried taking everything out of the system and adding things back in one
>>at a time.
>>
>>With NOTHING installed except CPU, I got a long, continuous (although kind
>>of gurgly sounding) beep.
>>
>>With CPU + video card, I got the same beep. (but no POST)
>>
>>Once I put the RAM in the beeping stopped and it stayed at the no POST
>>symptom.
>>
>>I am wondering if I got really unlucky and both sticks of RAM are
>>bad/incompatible with this board? (I bought the kind specifically
>>recommended at Corsair's site) I have tried each one individually in all 4
>>slots and it makes no difference.
>>
>>Thanks for the reply... I'm still looking into options for testing other
>>components.
>
> I am getting exactly the same problem on my board. Turns on, no
video, no
> post. Everything internal is ok. Only got RAM and video card on,
nothing
> else. Have also emailed GigaByte about this.

I had to take the board in to a local store to be tested. They went
through everything and determined the motherboard was dead-- all of my
parts POSTed fine in an Asus motherboard but not in the Gigabyte, and no
processor/RAM combo could POST the Gigabyte.

I ended up returning it and getting an Asus i955-based mobo.
Unfortunately, I am still waiting for my RMA'd RAM (which was RMAd for
other reasons) to actually test that.

Seems like Gigabyte has a bit of a clunker on their hands with this
model. You're not the only person I've run into with the same problem.
Hopefully they get it straightened out, as spec-wise it's a great board.
Their support is horrible, they assured me multiple times the board was
fine and it must be the CPU. Had to pay a good chunk of change to prove
them wrong...

Justin
March 4, 2006 3:28:47 AM

Why do you guys copy everything the last person says?
Gets old to have to keep scrolling and scrolling!

Anyway, in my opinion, gigabyte is a DOG of a company!
They design high end products only to have about 50% of them fail.
This seems to be exceptable to them and when confronted they just hide behind their ignorance of the English language.

"Motherboard good, no probblum. You have happy ending!"

I've gone through 3 GA-8N-SLI Royal motherboards and have yet to have one up and running. I've spent more than $2000 with no happy ending!
These products are TRASH and i'd advise everone to steer clear.

In todays global market, competition is brutal and I hope Gigabyte-ME gets devoured and shit back out to fertilize a new company that cares about product quality and their customers.

Disclaimer- all statements above are my opinon made in sheer rage and fustration.
!