Mouse pointer speed settings keep reseting

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I'm finding that every time I restart my computer, and changes I had
previously made to the mouse pointer speed in the control panel are lost
(reset to default values). I've now set them a couple dozen times, but they
always return to the default values after the system is restarted.

The system is a Pavilion notebook computer with a Synaptics touchpad (v5.9,
listed in the mouse properties as being PS/2 Port 3).

In the Mouse control panel on the Pointer Options tab, I keep setting the
pointer speed towards the fast end, and turn on the "Enhance pointer
precision." The settings remain so long as I'm using the computer (or only
put the system into standby). I can find no other speed settings withing the
Synaptics control panel, and the Windows pointer speed option very definately
adjusts the property I'm intending. Also note that I've tried this without
enabling the "Ehnace pointer precision" but get the same return-to-default
results with regards to the pointer speed.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 with all current hotfixes, and am also running
the latest version of the driver for the touchpad as released by HP.

Additionally, the problem also exists if I use an external mouse as well.

Any ideas on how I can get the mouse settings to be retained?

Thanks

Pat Furrie

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Try with the "Administrator" account.

"Pat Furrie" <PatFurrie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm finding that every time I restart my computer, and changes I had
> previously made to the mouse pointer speed in the control panel are lost
> (reset to default values). I've now set them a couple dozen times, but
> they
> always return to the default values after the system is restarted.
>
> The system is a Pavilion notebook computer with a Synaptics touchpad
> (v5.9,
> listed in the mouse properties as being PS/2 Port 3).
>
> In the Mouse control panel on the Pointer Options tab, I keep setting the
> pointer speed towards the fast end, and turn on the "Enhance pointer
> precision." The settings remain so long as I'm using the computer (or
> only
> put the system into standby). I can find no other speed settings withing
> the
> Synaptics control panel, and the Windows pointer speed option very
> definately
> adjusts the property I'm intending. Also note that I've tried this
> without
> enabling the "Ehnace pointer precision" but get the same return-to-default
> results with regards to the pointer speed.
>
> I'm running Windows XP SP2 with all current hotfixes, and am also running
> the latest version of the driver for the touchpad as released by HP.
>
> Additionally, the problem also exists if I use an external mouse as well.
>
> Any ideas on how I can get the mouse settings to be retained?
>
> Thanks
>
> Pat Furrie

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Yves,

I should have mentioned before: I have full admin rights on the machine.

Pat

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> Try with the "Administrator" account.
>
> "Pat Furrie" <PatFurrie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm finding that every time I restart my computer, and changes I had
> > previously made to the mouse pointer speed in the control panel are lost
> > (reset to default values). I've now set them a couple dozen times, but
> > they
> > always return to the default values after the system is restarted.
> >
> > The system is a Pavilion notebook computer with a Synaptics touchpad
> > (v5.9,
> > listed in the mouse properties as being PS/2 Port 3).
> >
> > In the Mouse control panel on the Pointer Options tab, I keep setting the
> > pointer speed towards the fast end, and turn on the "Enhance pointer
> > precision." The settings remain so long as I'm using the computer (or
> > only
> > put the system into standby). I can find no other speed settings withing
> > the
> > Synaptics control panel, and the Windows pointer speed option very
> > definately
> > adjusts the property I'm intending. Also note that I've tried this
> > without
> > enabling the "Ehnace pointer precision" but get the same return-to-default
> > results with regards to the pointer speed.
> >
> > I'm running Windows XP SP2 with all current hotfixes, and am also running
> > the latest version of the driver for the touchpad as released by HP.
> >
> > Additionally, the problem also exists if I use an external mouse as well.
> >
> > Any ideas on how I can get the mouse settings to be retained?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Pat Furrie

Pat,

I have the exact same problem, did you find a solution?

Bob Rodgers